Lexus Forum for the Lexus LF-A, Lexus IS-F and other Lexus models

LFA 1st Test, Z06 speed for 599 GTB money!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:09 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by th3Stig
It's too bad that 95% of the negative comments about this car don't necessarily understand that performance numbers are one of the last things the owners of LFAs will be thinking about....

Put it this way: I doubt the two guys who will have LFAs in Naples will give two sh*ts that a GTR with a Cobb can beat them all day. The guys who will be chosen to buy this car are the guys who go to the Ferrari Club meet here in Naples, park their brand new LFA next to the 3 F40s and TONS of people will have their noses pressed against the glass asking:

"Is this really a Lexus?"

And that's where the FEW owners will sit back and smile... knowing they got exactly what they wanted. A car noone else has.
This is the right post....dead on target!

Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Let me go back over this again for the tenth time, the LFA's value or worth or who will buy one is not being debated here. As most of them are already sold or purchased that is really a moot point now. Some of us are dissapointed that with a clean sheet design and a ten year development period that Toyota/ Lexus could not bring a car to the table that was better than or comparable to its competition.

Furthermore the forward thinking non superficial person that can look past the LFA's relatively ugly looks,non exotic badge, lack of heritage and lack of performance and sign a $375k check seems to be in direct contrast with the superficial person that would spend $375k just to buy a car based on how much attention it will get them or based on people staring.

And furthermore to compare the LFA, to an iconic car that is part of automotive history like the F40 is a tiny bit presumptious! Lets look at the real facts here. The LFA parked next to an LP670 SV in most parts of the country they will be equally as rare as far as how many you see on the roads.

The LFA driver will inevitably be asked how much they paid and the guy will go get in his ES350 thinking wow who would pay that for a Lexus. The Lambo driver will say the same thing and the person will think of how jealous they are that they can't go get one today.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:00 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I can imagine how someone would having the other cars pick the LFA, just to have something different and that gives a different feel. But I personally would have a hard time buying one over even an entry level super car like the Gallardo or 458 Italia. So if you have a 458 on order, a Pagani Zonda, Veyron, LP670 SV and CCXR in the garage then maybe the LFA could be the car for you!

I almost forgot since you have the money make sure to get a Carrera GT before you buy the LFA to make your super car collection complete.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Much like how Lexus came out of nowhere in 1989, they have done the same in 2010. We should applaud the first true exotic from Japan, a different beast to the usual Euro supercars.

No its not perfect, which supercar is?
The GT2 RS..

Mike

Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Mike you my friend are probably dead on, a tuned GT2 RS promises to be an absolute terror on the race track!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Mike you my friend are probably dead on, a tuned GT2 RS promises to be an absolute terror on the race track!
For the $$$ its almost impossible to say 240k isn't a steal compared to the outrageous pricing on the other under performers..

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM
It's a car that truly should cost $375, so in fact that makes it a relative bargain!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
For the $$$ its almost impossible to say 240k isn't a steal compared to the outrageous pricing on the other under performers..
lol...didn't the 911 "internet experts" tell us that the rear-engine 911 platform is maxed out? No more potential. Outdated, over-engineered...unbalanced? How Porsche should move the 911 to the Cayman mid-engine platform? How Porsche's platform was technologically dated?

I'd like to hear from all those guys how the "outdated" 911 platform has away from ALL the supercars...Pagani, Koenigsegg, and yes...even the LF-A.

lol...

Last edited by bbywu; 05-28-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by snakebitten
Guibo you are picking and choosing pieces of peoples posts and implying your own things. Ive continuously said that from tests Ive seen the BS/Z06 have trapped faster but I would prefer to see a head to head test and I gave reasons why.
Read the whole post and you will get the context in which the things you are pulling out and arguing about were said.

Point made about the Ring and I completely agree so I wont argue with you on that.
I wasn't picking and choosing pieces of people's post. You made contradictory statements. You said in no uncertain terms that the BS dominates (your words, not my "implication") the LFA based purely on the trap speed. Yet neither you nor anyone else wants to talk about the ACR Plus. Hmmm...I wonder why that is?? Is it because the ACR Plus, with 56 more hp than a standard Viper ACR trapped slower than the standard ACR? You deride me for using magazine figures, yet you used the same thing to come to your conclusion. How is that not a fact, unless you yourself have tested both cars? Damn near everyone in this thread is magazine racing.
One other point about trap speeds: In the C&D comparo, the Z06 trapped 124 mph to the GT2's 121. Yet go watch the Autocar video of what happens between these two cars at speed. According to the Motor Trend test (with numbers republished in Auto Bild), check these numbers:
ZR1 trap speed: 130.5
GT2: 127.9
599: 126.4

Looks like a thorough thrashing of the ZR1 over the GT2, right? You might guess that the ZR1 capitalizes on its 100+ hp advantage all the way to higher speeds. Yet, look at the figures (again, same-day, same-driver test):
200-300 kph
ZR1: 25.2
GT2: 25.1
599: 24.7

The trap speed between these cars told us nothing about which would be fastest past the 1/4 mile mark. The GT2 was slower than both Vettes in trap speed, but hangs with the ZR1 in 200-300. In the 250-300 sprint, it was 8/10ths faster than the ZR1.

So basically, you agreed your "beatdown" theory on the 'Ring was absolutely groundless.

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
No. Hell no. That is what is so disappointing to me. I felt that they have/had soooo much more potential to turn out a high hp turbo/N/A car (Supra), that I think everybody's hopes were wayyyyy up there. And then they gave us this....
So you accept that Toyota could have made a car with far more hp, far more torque, and for less money. Yet they didn't. Perhaps there is a reason for this.
If people's hopes were wayyyy up there, they have nothing but themselves to blame. I don't recall Toyota promising much in the way of objective performance.

Originally Posted by BGolden
It's not beyond anyone's capability, but this is what they brought us after 10yrs of work. Its a dissappointment to some. How hard is that to understand????
I understand it's a disappointment to those who value objective performance as the most important factor. But this was not Toyota's goal. How hard it that to understand??? Did any of you guys whining in this thread write to Toyota and ask them to deliver an Enzo killer?
Your assumption is that this is all they've brought us. How do you know that to be the case. The thing is an engineering exercise. How do you know the FT86 won't use many of the CF and aluminum construction techniques in the LFA? How do you know an iQ or Camry won't use CF components within the next few generations?

Do any of you even know why BMW built the Z8? It wasn't designed to compete against the Ferrari 360 or Porsche Turbo, even though it was priced not far from both.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:04 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Let me go back over this again for the tenth time, the LFA's value or worth or who will buy one is not being debated here. As most of them are already sold or purchased that is really a moot point now. Some of us are dissapointed that with a clean sheet design and a ten year development period that Toyota/ Lexus could not bring a car to the table that was better than or comparable to its competition.
Let's try to even go over this for a first time: define for me what you mean by "class."
Could not bring a car to the table, or would not bring a car to the table that was better in the things that you (a non-buyer who values objective performance more than other factors) cares about? I think there's a huge difference there.

So would a tuned Z06 or ZR1, for a fraction of the price. Which makes the GT2 RS overpriced and underperforming. For $20k more, you can mod the interior with material beyond what's offered in the GT2 RS. I don't see why anyone would walk past a ZR1 with some minor mods and pocket the $100k difference. You can do a lot with that $100k. Are performance enthusiasts so hung up on the badge? For the difference, you can get a CTS-V for daily driving, a shifter kart which will probably offer far more track thrills (and speed in terms of lap times) than most cars, with money left over for a real objective performance machine for the street (liter-class superbike with traps of ~150 mph, bone stock). Hell, for $100k you can find a nice 993 Turbo or 360 Modena, get the badge and call it a day.

Last edited by Guibo; 05-29-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:26 AM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
It's a car that truly should cost $375, so in fact that makes it a relative bargain!
I agree with that assessment as its performance on track is above any production road car currently sold at any price point. Another legend has been born from Porsche.

Id like them to do a head to head with the new 2010 Viper ACR, 560-4 SL[when it drops] vs this new RS. I think those might be the only cars out now that can approach the RS. That would be an epic fight though. The three best production street legal racers. The RS 620hp and around 3000lbs is gonna be very hard to beat imho.

Last edited by snakebitten; 05-29-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 AM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
lol...didn't the 911 "internet experts" tell us that the rear-engine 911 platform is maxed out? No more potential. Outdated, over-engineered...unbalanced? How Porsche should move the 911 to the Cayman mid-engine platform? How Porsche's platform was technologically dated?

I'd like to hear from all those guys how the "outdated" 911 platform has away from ALL the supercars...Pagani, Koenigsegg, and yes...even the LF-A.

lol...
I wont lie. I grew up hearing about the flaw of the Porsche design from the 80's to now. And with every iteration of the 911 it keeps leap frogging the competition not just on the road car front but also on the racetrack lol. I think its past time to put those critics out to pasture.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Guibo
So you accept that Toyota could have made a car with far more hp, far more torque, and for less money. Yet they didn't. Perhaps there is a reason for this.
If people's hopes were wayyyy up there, they have nothing but themselves to blame. I don't recall Toyota promising much in the way of objective performance.
Yes, I accept that. And yes, I understand that they had their reason for releasing it anyway. I've said before, Toyota doesn't live in a bubble, and they knew exactly how it would stack up to the others at least 2 years before now, and they are not surprised with the results.

I do blame myself for getting my hopes up. I was hoping for/expecting another Supra.

The only sports car manufacturers that can charge that kind of money for sub-par performance that come to mind are Bentley and Aston Martin, because they offer things that other sports cars do not. What does this car offer that is so revolutionary?

Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 AM
BGolden is infamous around these parts
Carbon fiber to be used in the camry according to Guibo. Yippee.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Guibo
Let's try to even go over this for a first time: define for me what you mean by "class."
Could not bring a car to the table, or would not bring a car to the table that was better in the things that you (a non-buyer who values objective performance more than other factors) cares about? I think there's a huge difference there.

So would a tuned Z06 or ZR1, for a fraction of the price. Which makes the GT2 RS overpriced and underperforming. For $20k more, you can mod the interior with material beyond what's offered in the GT2 RS. I don't see why anyone would walk past a ZR1 with some minor mods and pocket the $100k difference. You can do a lot with that $100k. Are performance enthusiasts so hung up on the badge? For the difference, you can get a CTS-V for daily driving, a shifter kart which will probably offer far more track thrills (and speed in terms of lap times) than most cars, with money left over for a real objective performance machine for the street (liter-class superbike with traps of ~150 mph, bone stock). Hell, for $100k you can find a nice 993 Turbo or 360 Modena, get the badge and call it a day.
Following your logic which has been confused if not contradictory at best lets look at a few things. # 1 you assumed that the LFA would be faster over 100 mph and when it was proven that the LFA's fastest trap speed was measurably slower than the ZR1 you again reverted to BHO conjecture and Jedi mind tricks to say otherwise.
USING YOUR ARGUMENT ABOVE
You could take a Z06, and send it to Katech and have a 2900 lb 700 hp track beast with 305 width front tires and the best seats money can buy, a Range Rover Supercharged for the winter, and still have money left for a Gallardo and a UGR twin turbo kit which would eat any stock cars lunch including the Veyron.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LFA 1st Test, Z06 speed for 599 GTB money!