Lexus Forum for the Lexus LF-A, Lexus IS-F and other Lexus models

LFA 1st Test, Z06 speed for 599 GTB money!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Its already been agreed to by numerous buyers, I am simply saying that I question why you would pick this car over its competition other than the engineering by press release, hype or rarity?
No direct injection, single clutch gearbox, non adjustable suspension the car has taken 9 years to develop and it weighs more in carbon fiber than its aluminum competition? Would you buy this car if you only had the choice of buying one? Would you put this next to an Enzo, and Veyron in the garage instead of an LP670 or 599 GTB?
I already explained the reasons to you. Too bad you are unable to contemplate and respond.
The single clutch gearbox is there for a reason: It provides the same mechanical response and involvement that you don't get with a DCT setup, and it's evocative of F1 tech (as is the engine). It's also a bit lighter, and may help with packaging issues.
Your question is absurd, because if you already have an Enzo and a Veyron, why would you not be able to have the others? But to answer your question, I would have to drive all 3 and make a truly informed decision based on what appeals to me more. The Lexus could very well be the one. I would say it's a close call with the SV. If I've already got the Enzo, I'd probably want to diversify and get something non-Ferrari. What is so objectionable about that? Are you incapable of accepting that different people have different tastes?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Moderators can I please have my thread uncluttered by this drivel which is over and beyond the subject matter of my original post?

LFA 1st Test, Z06 speed for 599 GTB money!
]

Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
You can't be a fanboy when you don't wax poetically and blindly about a car that your in love with.......You are of course degrading to making it personal as most people with an idiotic and stupid obsession do. You came to my thread on your white LFA horse to force me to think a different way about your favorite car. I am laughing at you right now, I think the same way about the LFA that I did when I started this thread. And the title of this thread is still absolutely true.
And it's true for a lot of other cars. So what? Significance? None.
For every fanboy, there's an opposite and equally revolting side. You are that side.
I came to this thread to discuss, debate, and possibly convey that there are people who can appreciate a car even if it's not the fastest, etc. That shouldn't be objectionable. What, did you want to have every single thread on 6-speed be about how fast the ACR is and no one can dare question its bang/buck status? C'mon now.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Guibo
I already explained the reasons to you. Too bad you are unable to contemplate and respond.
The single clutch gearbox is there for a reason: It provides the same mechanical response and involvement that you don't get with a DCT setup, and it's evocative of F1 tech (as is the engine). It's also a bit lighter, and may help with packaging issues.
Your question is absurd, because if you already have an Enzo and a Veyron, why would you not be able to have the others? But to answer your question, I would have to drive all 3 and make a truly informed decision based on what appeals to me more. The Lexus could very well be the one. I would say it's a close call with the SV. If I've already got the Enzo, I'd probably want to diversify and get something non-Ferrari. What is so objectionable about that? Are you incapable of accepting that different people have different tastes?
Wow is that more Lexus marketing speak, the single clutch gearbox was perfected by Ferrari but Lexus is more intelligent about building performance cars than they are? How can someone who himself has a hard time listening to facts explain to me who is more knowledgeable than you about cars?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 AM
I appreciate the LFA for what it is......but that doesn't mean that I will buy one! The LFA is a very expensive marketing exercise / development program that produced a car after 9 years that was no longer at the head of its class as they had planned. There is an Azz for every seat, and Lexus with great marketing has been able to sell them.

But again if you are so intelligent, than please can you tell me how anything you have said changed the simple fact and the truthful statement I started this thread with?

Is the LFA not Z06 performance for 599 GTB money?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 AM
I would like to extend the olive branch so you don't continue to follow me into any thread against your love affair cars. We can agree to disagree!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Wow is that more Lexus marketing speak, the single clutch gearbox was perfected by Ferrari but Lexus is more intelligent about building performance cars than they are? How can someone who himself has a hard time listening to facts explain to me who is more knowledgeable than you about cars?
TopGear magazine on the LFA:
"The V10's appetite for revs is astounding, and though its sequential, paddle-shift auto is miles away from the latest dual-clutch systems when it comes to shift speeds or smoothness, the LFA's 'box has a muscular, mechanical quality that suits the car's basic character."

Car Magazine on Murcielago SV in their PCOTY article:
"It's not the outright speed that counts; instead, it's the way it does it...the paddleshift is slow compared with the double-clutcher from Maranello, but I'll take its mechanical authenticity over the sterile Ferrari anyday."

Is that fanboys hyping marketing? I don't think it is. It sounds like people who have driven them and appreciate the differences.
BTW, the SV went on to the final round of that comparo, but the faster, cheaper Noble M600 did not.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:24 AM
I would like to extend the olive branch so you don't continue to follow me into any thread against your love affair cars. We can agree to disagree!
I'm not following you into any thread. Quit being paranoid.

I appreciate the LFA for what it is......but that doesn't mean that I will buy one!
Is the LFA not Z06 performance for 599 GTB money?
I never said you should buy one. I never said anyone in this thread should buy one. I'm not imposing a value system on anyone, merely suggesting that not everyone has the same value system. You, on the other hand, seem to be suggesting that a person would have to be mentally insane to choose the Lexus.
We don't know enough about its objective performance to conclude that. I'm guessing based on the TopGear lap time that given a dry circuit, the LFA would be faster. And could very well pull on the Z06 at speeds past 100.
Then there is the subjective side of performance to consider. Based on what I've seen, the LFA is on a whole different level there.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 AM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Guibo
Black Series looks incredible? It looks like a modified SL (which it is). How do you know it would rape the LFA in a straight line?
And maybe twisties? Did you notice that the BS's dry TopGear lap was slower than the LFA's wet lap? It's also slower on Motor Trend's figure-8 (24.6 vs 23.9) and pulls fewer g's (0.96g vs 1.05g) and takes longer for braking (60-0 in 105 vs 94 ft). And the BS is on fatter tires even.
Isn't the BS of questionable value when an ACR will kill it on a track for a fraction of the price? It's also slower than the ZR1. Yes, it is a "known quantity": it's known to be slower, yet costing far, far more.

I didn't say performance doesn't count to most car guys. The question is: Does it count more than anything else? There are also car guys who look at different things in a car, with different priorities.
Even if the LFA were no faster than a Z06...is the Z06 a slow performer? Does it not satisfy car guys who are looking for performance?

Wait, now you're saying the LFA is incredible...what's so incredible about it?
Ive always given the LF-A its due on its technical merits and handling if you read my posts without your Toyota designer spectacles on Its its straightline performance/and looks that isnt incredible comprende? Ill keep sayin this till it sinks into your head.

As for the BS it looks the part, has serious power, is a known quantity as its a Benz and the automotive world/market expects it to be expensive. Also its trap speed is in the 127-128mph territory so yes it will dominate the LF-A in the straights since the LF-A can barely muster a 123mph 1/4 mile trap speed. Hell a bonestock GTS Viper back in the 90's ran 121mph with only 450hp and its a comparative dinosaur. As for handling thats why I put "maybe" as I dont know what the BS handling prowess is like.

The Z06 would also trounce the LF-A as its average traps are faster than the LF-A's best so far 123mph traps so the title of the thread is a bit misleading in one aspect. Give the LF-A 100 more hp and Ill shut right up. For the price and gestation it should be an all around badazz.

So Ill play devils advocate as well. Since performance isnt everything, should technical prowess be everything and count MORE than performance? This is not a winnable argument as its basically opinions on all sides which are neither right or wrong. I think the LF-A is lacking in the performance/price arena and you think it more than exceeds what is necessary in a car of this level. We have to agree to disagree as we arent arguing facts, just opinions, as facts cant be argued with as they are, well facts.

In case you havent figured it out Im done with this lol. There is no way Im gonna do what you and Germeezy did in the last two pages LOL....You can have the last word Guibzzz

Last edited by snakebitten; 05-25-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
This car to me is ugly and overpriced. Just my opinion.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
This car to me is ugly and overpriced. Just my opinion.
+1.

Give me all of that AND a DCT, knock about 50% off the price and you'd be hard pressed to keep me out of one. It seems to be a direct competitor of the F430, Audi R8 V10, Gallardo, etc... It should be priced accordingly.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
BGolden is infamous around these parts
I'd rather have a 93-98 supra than the LFA. It looks better and can make the HP. Thats a Fact in my book.

You boys have fun figuring this out cuz I know we are reading it.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BGolden
I'd rather have a 93-98 supra than the LFA. It looks better and can make the HP. Thats a Fact in my book.

You boys have fun figuring this out cuz I know we are reading it.
Well, of course, if all you car about is looks (subjective) and HP - then obviously this wouldn't be the car for you.

If you want superior handling capabilities with current amenities, and have enough money to maintain it - you'd probably alter your position slightly.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
BGolden is infamous around these parts
Probably not. I can't stay away from building and rebuilding my cars. This one just doesn't suit my fancy. I would rather get dirty than have someone else maintain it.

I couldn't see me ever in this car. I have several friends who could get one of these and its a non issue w/ them. The car is meh overall. It doesn't stand out in any category other than price and claimed new technology that isn't helping it.

It seems eveyone on the internet that likes it bases it on the rarity and price. Who gives a crap about price. Most can build a car for 100K or less that could rape anything around except modded vipers and Gallardos. I know I can.

Everyone seems to forget that sometimes is the simple cars that are the most fun and enjoyable. The manufacturers seem to think that the cars need to get more complex for people to want to buy them, and it doesn't always work. There is a fine line of enough and not enough technology.

Also how many of these people buying this are are going to take it to the track? This thing is going to starbucks, fancy restrants and the garage. Its basically saying I have a big shiny car that costs a butt load but doesn't really compete in any category. So its just a trophy, it will look nice on the mantel to some but not to me.

I found this thread very funny and intertaining.

Last edited by BGolden; 05-25-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
^ I agree with almost everything in this post (especially - the Starbucks etc...)...

Except that (in reference to beating modded Vipers and Lamborghinis) you are referring to just a straight line, I assume... If that is true - a stock GT-R, and 911 w/PDK (with room) will already beat it.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 05-25-2010 at 11:42 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LFA 1st Test, Z06 speed for 599 GTB money!