Lexus Forum for the Lexus LF-A, Lexus IS-F and other Lexus models

2007-2011 LS460L performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
2007-2011 LS460L performance

As a fun project I'm looking at these to tinker with for a sedan DD ...yeah, a Lexus. For this price point, I think I could have something pretty special that isn't seen everyday. I'm not a kid, but not a Senior Citizen either, so I'm not into the ricer or bling look or presentation. Elegant, yet all-business that hints "sport" w/the luxury is what I want, and different than what I usually see on the interstates. I really don't see many newer LS460's on the fwys up here in the EastSFBay area. But BMW's and MB's are a dime a dozen.

But I can't seem to find much in the way of engine performance products for this platform & engine. Not much on exhausts, either, though I'm not looking to make it sound like a street rod...

Are the performance options that minimal or have I just not dug deep enough yet? I'm sure the throttle recalibration I found offers some plusses but anything else? I can't help but think that with some decent tweaks this is quite possibly a "wolf in sheep's clothing". I know nothing about the current V-8 in it (strengths, weaknesses, etc); or really anything regarding Lexus performance. I see the suspension upgrades & braces, etc but nothing really for under the hood, or re-programming performance tweaks.

The right wheels and as much rubber as sensibly can be placed under the car would be good; though I may go 20's instead of 22's. I also really lean towards the 460L's cabin space so the 460 sport model is pretty much disqualified... much to my chagrin.

That vossen-clad LS460 wearing the spokes that "Jav" from Vossen posted up a few days ago has really inspired me to try a different approach than leaning towards Germany for this particular project (much to my surprise) and I never thought I'd say that. If I could get the engine performance to say, approach the Infiniti M56S's grunt if not meet that; I'd be happy. Any more than HP that, and an AMG S63 would be in order.

DIFFERENT is what I'm shooting for. Fire away.

Thanks.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 02-09-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
ExactlyCake is infamous around these parts
I have the same idea as you. i LOVE the ls460. i am what you could consider a kid. (25) but like you i see the sporty side to the LS.
Ive had a few other Lexus's and the reliability is what is bringing me back. The LS also has amazing gas mileage, i was averaging over 22mpg, for such a large car that is impressive.

I am personally looking for a 07-09 and heres why. Availability of aftermarket parts, and another person has sucked up the deprecation and they are readily available CPO from lexus. Ive purchased all of my cars directly from a lease. This ensures me the car was properly taken care of by the dealer.

The LS is a muscular car to begin with but it can be tweaked very little and be a head turner. F-sport (lexus' performance div) is coming out with more parts for this segment.
I personally would do a set of BBS style wheels, and a front splitter or bumper, and a big brake kit. coupled with the wheels, simple aero add on. IMO its sporty enough to warrant my age and not be my dads car.

Ive been also in the market for a Panamera, but i can buy TWO ls460's for the price of the pam. You cant beat the value for the dollar. I may wait on the pam and buy the LS until the Pams start rolling off their leases.

As for engine performance, the money you will spend on engine mods for the LS will not be worth the gains, you can source an intake and exhaust to give it more throttle response and a beefier sound, but as i said its alot of cash for minimal gains. All lexus cars are generally tuned for maximum out put from the factory, leaving very little to be gained from simple basic parts upgrades. This goes with the IS-GS-ISf-LS.
My first is300, for example could soak up 5k+ and net ~50hp with simple bolt ons.

heres the the front bumper i am trying to hunt down
http://lexusfan.com/im/2009/06/lexus-ls-460-sz.jpg

This is so simple but i think its sporty and classy
http://www.d2autosport.com/wheels/br...rublk22500.jpg

good luck!!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 AM
shrka is infamous around these parts
I'm also on the Mkt for one. But also looking at 2009~ BMW 750 and the gs460. Can't
Ame up me mind. Don't plan on molding much. Just lower and rims. Maybe more if justifiable.

Looking forward to the hunt.
Gl guys

Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM
ExactlyCake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by shrka
I'm also on the Mkt for one. But also looking at 2009~ BMW 750 and the gs460. Can't
Ame up me mind. Don't plan on molding much. Just lower and rims. Maybe more if justifiable.

Looking forward to the hunt.
Gl guys

Ive also looked into the GS350, mainly cause of the AWD, being in CT and having a snowpocolipse lately its come back into thought . cant really go wrong with either.

Everyone i come across that had a 7 series got out of them as fast as they could. Seems that those with a lease have no problems in those two years though. it is a nice looking car.
Resale on a used one seems very low compared to sticker. high maint costs for higher mileage id assume?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by ExactlyCake
Ive also looked into the GS350, mainly cause of the AWD, being in CT and having a snowpocolipse lately its come back into thought . cant really go wrong with either.

Everyone i come across that had a 7 series got out of them as fast as they could. Seems that those with a lease have no problems in those two years though. it is a nice looking car.
Resale on a used one seems very low compared to sticker. high maint costs for higher mileage id

assume?
Yeah I am sure it's the maintenance cost that makes the price attractive.

Gs350 are nice ESP for the awd .

I love the look of the Ls but wonder if I would gettire of theperformance.... I use that word loosely. So I am considering the gs460. Got 6 moremmontha to go to decide as I just paid for registration on my current car

Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Good discussion, gang. Thanks. Okay so I'm turning 50 in a matter of weeks- so I'm a kid too. (har!) There are some interesting thoughts here being put out. Love it.
I will most likely be buying new, as I want the exact configuration I want, in the colors I want. That is UNLESS I find a CPO exactly as I want it, no more than 1-2 years old.

As far as cost to HP gain ratio, $5K for roughly 50 hp is still less costly than our beloved P-cars albeit not by a wide delta. For me, $ is not a factor here, so if that option applied to the LS (like the is300 you referenced) I wouldn't bat an eye. But I'm looking for real-life improvement/upgrade tweaks where they are warranted. Just the throttle re-calibration may be all I need under the hood, while other no-seeum tweaks like subframe braces, shock-tower brace, susp, etc would be done.

Yep, was thinking about brake upgrades, too. The ones I saw were priced about 2k higher per pair than the avg Porsche upgrades would cost. I found that rather shocking, actually, considering we aren't talking about German cars here; yet I don't think these are the only units available. I just saw one online source, featuring a specific brand. They weren't Brembo, fyi.

I would consider doing minimal but judicious body add-ons... at the most. I'm not wanting the Millennium Falcon of body mods; just a very clean, elegant; and to a degree, head-turning (for the right reasons) DD. Something that doesn't scream "look at me", but when you DO see it the word "Sublime" crosses your mind.

As far as maint. cost itself- this does not bother me. When you get to this tier and up it's all part of the game. However, I do expect reliability, not a service-bay queen. I've been a BMW guy for years, but they lost me after the e38 platform. They are making attempts to distance themselves from the Chris Bangle years, but they haven't gone far enough yet IMHO; and with the roundel I expect reliability with the quality known with their marque in years past. That right now is a reputation that has been tarnished IMHO, and has not yet been redeemed. As far as looks I think the new 5 series looks better than the 7.. it is more or less a more refined and shrunken 7 body; but it's too small for my preference; and overall they seem to all look the same.

There's no sense of passion, excitement, or distinction between the models in their lineup. Hate to say that. In this perceived economy, it might be hard to justify some bold, cutting edge, positive strides forward- but that is exactly what BMW needs. A big kick in the pants.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 02-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 PM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
im about to pick up a 460 this weekend!! found a nice CPO one in my area and im trading in my Infiniti for it... to be honest im getting this car just for the relief of not having to MOD so to say the living **** out of it to get it to my likings im probably only going to do a nice set of rims (really liking the Vossen CV-1's) but nothing performance orientated in store for me. i heard that lexus is making a high performance LS to compete with the AMG cars and what not, but i have heard very little about this so far. BUT i definitely like the way you guys are thinking. and i cant wait to see what will be done with this platform

anyways just thought id drop in

Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Don't forget to post pix.
What year and color u getting.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by shrka
Don't forget to post pix.
What year and color u getting.
its a 2007 LS460 in the dark blue color with tan interior. very clean car, hopefully if everything goes well ill have the car by this weekend

Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM
1beastnstl is infamous around these parts
Ok....I guess I'm joining adamls2 because I'm selling my Infiniti for either a LS460 or GS450. I'm really interested in seeing what sport gains can be had from these cars. I too any not young and ricey but no where near Geritol either. lol

Old 09-06-2011, 03:36 PM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
Not fast - but they sure look good when lowered on 22's....

Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 PM
1beastnstl is infamous around these parts
Clean and mean works for me.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Former Vendor
Jav@Vossen is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adamls2
im about to pick up a 460 this weekend!! found a nice CPO one in my area and im trading in my Infiniti for it... to be honest im getting this car just for the relief of not having to MOD so to say the living **** out of it to get it to my likings im probably only going to do a nice set of rims (really liking the Vossen CV-1's) but nothing performance orientated in store for me. i heard that lexus is making a high performance LS to compete with the AMG cars and what not, but i have heard very little about this so far. BUT i definitely like the way you guys are thinking. and i cant wait to see what will be done with this platform

anyways just thought id drop in
Thought I'd post up your pics

Old 10-23-2011, 02:00 AM
LOL ^^^^^ thanks Jav i forgot about this thread I FINALLY figured out how to get the back seats out so that i can be able to install the lowering springs will post up more pics once that is all done

Oh, and as for the performance part of the LS, i always run in PWR mode, the wide stick tires make it SO much better on handling qualities and gives me much more confidence when cornering at high speeds, and now hopefully when i get the springs on i'm expecting less of the "floaty-ness" and just a tad bit more of maneuverability ( as people have stated after doing this mod) ....oh ya, and another thing on my list is to install electronically controlled exhaust cutouts for that extra "umph" when wanted ahahaha!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Former Vendor
Jav@Vossen is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adamls2
LOL ^^^^^ thanks Jav i forgot about this thread I FINALLY figured out how to get the back seats out so that i can be able to install the lowering springs will post up more pics once that is all done

Oh, and as for the performance part of the LS, i always run in PWR mode, the wide stick tires make it SO much better on handling qualities and gives me much more confidence when cornering at high speeds, and now hopefully when i get the springs on i'm expecting less of the "floaty-ness" and just a tad bit more of maneuverability ( as people have stated after doing this mod) ....oh ya, and another thing on my list is to install electronically controlled exhaust cutouts for that extra "umph" when wanted ahahaha!!!
Awesome would love to see it lowered!