Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Considering Macan S (leaving BMW X3)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM
aspantaleone is infamous around these parts
Considering Macan S (leaving BMW X3)

Hello Everyone,

My lease is up and I am interested in getting into something for the long term. I really like my X3 35i M Sport but it lacks two things that I'm passionate about - dual exhausts and better performance. It seems like the Macan S gives me that and almost everything else. I have to admit I will miss the HUD and run flats that they Macan S does not offer so I will be giving up some features to get other features. I have never driven a Porsche before either. I have owned 2 X5's and 2 X3's. Out of all of them I like the X3 35i M Sport the most in terms of overall performance, function, comfort, practical, efficient. Any insights are welcome. Thank you very much!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
Not sure you are going to find many real life experiences of the Macan S yet as they have not been delivering yet .. however with that said, many of us had BMWs, Audis, etc prior .. many of us that have, won't go back .. I've had 3 Audi(s) and 5 BMW(s) ..

Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by SLATETT
Not sure you are going to find many real life experiences of the Macan S yet as they have not been delivering yet .. however with that said, many of us had BMWs, Audis, etc prior .. many of us that have, won't go back .. I've had 3 Audi(s) and 5 BMW(s) ..
Good feedback! Thank you!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:24 PM
jlee504 is infamous around these parts
I think a big factor is space. Everything published about the macan suggests a tight interior whereas the x3 has been moving more into the x5 space and is actually going to be a lot more rear leg room and cargo area

I have that problem, I want a macan badly for the space but I need rear legroom

Jeff

Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 AM
GTF
GTF is infamous around these parts
I was waiting for the mid-cycle X3 35i, but ordered a Macan in Jan, due May. The 340hp, overall design (including those 4 big pipes in back) sold me. I have owned 4 BMWs, but my 1st was actually my favorite...E36 M3. The more recent don't have that solid build (IMO) any longer. Thought it was time to try a Porsche.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by GTF
I was waiting for the mid-cycle X3 35i, but ordered a Macan in Jan, due May. The 340hp, overall design (including those 4 big pipes in back) sold me. I have owned 4 BMWs, but my 1st was actually my favorite...E36 M3. The more recent don't have that solid build (IMO) any longer. Thought it was time to try a Porsche.
Yes the design, 340hp, pipes sold me too! The X3 is nice. Great size just wish had more zip like an X3M. Build quality could be little better too. Seems like Macan delivers!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
This past weekend I attended the concourse de elegance and Porsche had the Macan turbo on display. With a 93k sticker I was a little put off but regardless of price the car is beautiful and the lines and shape are very similar to the Infiniti FX. Coming from a X3 im sure this will be a much more enjoyable driving experience.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 AM
jlee504 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
This past weekend I attended the concourse de elegance and Porsche had the Macan turbo on display. With a 93k sticker I was a little put off but regardless of price the car is beautiful and the lines and shape are very similar to the Infiniti FX. Coming from a X3 im sure this will be a much more enjoyable driving experience.
It does the shape reminds me very much of the fx35. I had one, the rear seat was always finest I couldn't fit jack in the trunk.

Did you get a chance to sit in or peer in the car? What's the space like?

Jeff

Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Does anyone know if the air intakes are both functional in the S. I know they are in the turbo.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jlee504
It does the shape reminds me very much of the fx35. I had one, the rear seat was always finest I couldn't fit jack in the trunk.

Did you get a chance to sit in or peer in the car? What's the space like?

Jeff
As we walked up the employees were locking up and shutting down for the evening. I only looked up front and the interior design looks beautiful very similar to the Cayenne just a bit tighter.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:56 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
If you want one I suggest you hurry up... mostly sold out for the year from what my Dealer told me.

Was going to order an S for my wife and I was going to take her LR4 and sell my Denali

Old 03-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy
If you want one I suggest you hurry up... mostly sold out for the year from what my Dealer told me. Was going to order an S for my wife and I was going to take her LR4 and sell my Denali
Good advice! Wish I could see/test drive first.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:14 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Current X3 owner here. Last year I was considering ordering the updated X3 but decided against it at the last moment. Although the refreshed X3 is worlds improvement over the first generation the entire BMW lineup has a 'worn & tired' look. I don't think they've made enough styling improvements on both interior & exterior. Side by side I believe the Macan will beat the X3 but of course at a significant price increase. That said, Porsche PCM could use some smoothing into the dash. It looks like an afterthought compared to the updated center console.

I had a head up on my C6 and do miss it on my other cars if for nothing other than needing to look down at the speedo.

I sat in the Macan at the Chicago Autoshow. The driver's area has comparable space to the previous X3, less than the current model. I expect the driving experience will be on the same level as other Porsches - no need for me to drive it before ordering one. If I 'hate it' I'l leave no problem selling in a few months with the lack of suppy.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:17 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jlee504
I think a big factor is space. Everything published about the macan suggests a tight interior whereas the x3 has been moving more into the x5 space and is actually going to be a lot more rear leg room and cargo area

I have that problem, I want a macan badly for the space but I need rear legroom

Jeff
Rear legroom is not bad . The most noticeable space compromise compared to the Cayenne I noticed was in the driver/passenger section .
Here's a photo of me sitting in the rear seat . I am 5'9" 160 . Also the front seat is not moved forward . i had just sat in the drivers seat and it was set to my seating height.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	macan2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	347517  
Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aspantaleone
Hello Everyone,

My lease is up and I am interested in getting into something for the long term. I really like my X3 35i M Sport but it lacks two things that I'm passionate about - dual exhausts and better performance. It seems like the Macan S gives me that and almost everything else. I have to admit I will miss the HUD and run flats that they Macan S does not offer so I will be giving up some features to get other features. I have never driven a Porsche before either. I have owned 2 X5's and 2 X3's. Out of all of them I like the X3 35i M Sport the most in terms of overall performance, function, comfort, practical, efficient. Any insights are welcome. Thank you very much!

By "long term" if you mean that you are intending to buy the macan then my vote goes to the macan. If however you choose to lease the car i have never seen a Porsche lease which impressed me in the manner which BMW lease programs do .

BMW's are great cars but there are certain driving refinements which Porsche has . When you test drive a Macan or any other Porsche it will become clear that "there is no substitute" .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering Macan S (leaving BMW X3)