Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Partial Leather Seat Option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 AM
aspantaleone is infamous around these parts
Partial Leather Seat Option

Hello Everyone,

I believe the partial leather seat option has Alcantra. Is this material pretty durable or is going full leather a must for long term durability and overall comfort?

Thank you in advance.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I'm not sure of your terminology. The standard 8-way seats have the Alcantara in the centers. The standard 14-way and 18-way have faux leather. With the "leather package" the seating surfaces are leather, along with top of dash etc. With full leather interior, leather is added along the top of doors and a couple of other places. I expect all choices are quite durable and comfortable.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Thank you Kenin!

Are the Faux leather surfaces cheap looking for a Porsche? Should I go with the leather package when I choose the 14 or 18 ways?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
It is very subjective. The faux leather looks pretty good. It just isn't as smooth as leather. I ordered the leather package in order to get the stitching along the top of the dash, as well as the smooth leather elsewhere. My last three Carreras had "full leather interior" so I am now spoiled. You'll need to see the differences to determine whether the cost is justified in your opinion.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Thank you Kenin!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by aspantaleone
Thank you Kenin!
No problem.
Ken

Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 PM
TGED is infamous around these parts
If the Porsche faux leather is anything like the Mercedes leatherite then it is very durable, probably more durable than real leather. My parents have a 1990 E class that has leatherite, and after almost a quarter century, it still looks fairly decent without any cuts, even on the driver seat.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TGED
If the Porsche faux leather is anything like the Mercedes leatherite then it is very durable, probably more durable than real leather. My parents have a 1990 E class that has leatherite, and after almost a quarter century, it still looks fairly decent without any cuts, even on the driver seat.
I think BMW is also very durable. Can't really comment since I have full leather package.

From my experience with BMW alcantara, it wore out faster than leather/leatherette. Interested in hearing about this from others.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Alcantara is a European trademarked, branded name for ultra-suede. It is usually found in the roof liner and the seat center sections of some seat versions.

Porsche's "partial leather" version is very good. The sides and backs of the seat are of a high grade "leatherette" and match very well. Hardly noticeable and takes a very critical eye to see the difference. Of course, the dash and door panels are different, but well-done.

Biggest difference is that a full-leather car will always smell better.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Alcantara is a European trademarked, branded name for ultra-suede. It is usually found in the roof liner and the seat center sections of some seat versions.

Porsche's "partial leather" version is very good. The sides and backs of the seat are of a high grade "leatherette" and match very well. Hardly noticeable and takes a very critical eye to see the difference. Of course, the dash and door panels are different, but well-done.

Biggest difference is that a full-leather car will always smell better.

Great insights! Thank you TT!