Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

CLK63 Black Series Rotor Issues ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
mart is infamous around these parts
CLK63 Black Series Rotor Issues ??

After enjoying the last 2000 miles more than any other 2000 miles in my life, I began to get a mild shudder in the brake peddle under regular traffic braking. As it grew more annoying, I decided to bring the car in to check what wass up. Best I could tell it felt like a warped rotor issue but I didn't think that could be the case since the cars has been driven around town literally as "lightly" as one can drive this car. No racetrack ventures, no repeated ABS stopping from 100+, nothing that would casue a rotor issue. After the dealer kept the car for two days in the name of customer service and making sure they "learn" everything they can about these new special cars, etc, they called me and informed me it was indeed a rotor "out of tolerance level" issue. AND, I would be needing to BUY some new rotors since MBenz does not warranty these rotors !! I said, Whaaaaaaaaaaaat, !! I took the issue to the GM elvel but to no avail...I even asked them to assess the tire wear and they confirmed, this car has not been to a race track, has not been abused in any way, and still, tough deal, we aren't covering it. To say I am shocked would be a minor under statement.

So I am: a) looking to see if anyone else has had the issue, b) any bright ideas are welcome and c) reaffirming the brillance of the Porsche product...in all the years I have driven them, takien them to the track, wailed on them at home, I have rarely had a rotor issue, and when I did, the dealer took them off and gave me a new set, no questions asked. If the CLK 63 Black is to compete with the GT3, or 997TT, they have a long way to go in at least two areas...brakes that don't warp rotors around town and customer service when there is an issue. Otherwise it is an amazing vehicle, but that is now overshadowed with this rotor debacle.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:04 PM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Are they carbon fiber? If so, I have no answers.

If standard disc brakes (maybe larger than normal) I would suggest you consider brake dust accumulation on the disc as the culprit.

I've experienced it after track days, when on the way home my car would shudder so bad upon braking that you would think something was gonna' come off.

If you wet the brakes (when cold) and let them sit for 8 or 10 hours and then get up to 60 or 80 mph at your first opportunity and then brake HARD, it will scrape all the residue off and like magic the shuddering disappears.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good luck and they ought to take care of you better than that!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Paul N has a spectacular aura aboutPaul N has a spectacular aura about
F*CK that. If my BS did that, I'd raise hell until MB covered it. It's not even about the money, it's about standing behind your product.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 AM
93 r1 is infamous around these parts
under 12 months/12k miles it should be covered no questions asked

Old 12-19-2007, 09:28 AM
mart is infamous around these parts
MB Steps Up...Kinda.

Well after two weeks of haggling, and the great support I got from Brumos in Fla (an aside here, my good friends at Brumos actually got me the car at sticker versus my local dealer here in CA who at the last minute decided they needed to "get market value" which was 40k over...nice...I highly recommend Brumos for Porsche/MB, many otheres wherever you are in the country) and alot of my calling people, MB has decided to do "a one time good will customer adjustment" ...making it clear this is NOT a warranty issue, and if it happens again tough deal. We'll see. At least the car is proper now. Still very concerning that this "supercar" had the issue in the first place. I suppose when I do make it to the track to let the beast out, I do so at my own risk. I think I'll just take the GT3. I know I won't have a problem and will be quicker anyways.

Thanks Santa, for the "goodwill" rotors.