Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Thinking of trading my 996 Turbo for S55..Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:51 AM
AG996LV is infamous around these parts
Thinking of trading my 996 Turbo for S55..Am I crazy?

I am thinking of trading the Turbo for a bigger car, thinking about 05-06 S-class AMG. I might be willing so sacrifice a small amount of performance for more comfort, luxury, etc. (Air-Conditioned seats)
I am wondering if I will miss the Porsche if I do, though. I tend to get bored with a car after a year or so, and this is my second Porsche- I had the previous one for 2 years. I am getting tired of a shifting a 6-speed in the Vegas traffic, also think a little more room would be nice.
I would plan on modding the S55 with a flash and different pulley, I figure 550hp would still be good performance even on a heavy car.
Has anyone here had both cars? Would this be a move I would regret in a month or so after doing it?

07+ AMG S65 or S63 are out of my comfortable price range.
Test drove E55 and it was ok, but I wasn't in love with it.
06-07 M5?
Or Mod the Porsche some more to get me excited about it again?
Any other suggestions?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 PM
nlakind has a spectacular aura aboutnlakind has a spectacular aura about
i've never owned both so i couldn't give you the exact answer you're looking for but i know that i haven't liked many mercedes' i've driven. i like sports cars, i like to feel the road, i like to feel in control of my actions behind the wheel, i haven't felt that satisfaction in any benz, whether stock, AMG, or Brabus, etc..if you really want something that you can feel comfortable in & still be able to go fast in a straight line than an AMG is your best bet. the M5 is an amazing car but it's not nearly as comfortable as any benz...as i'm sure you know but i feel like going from the porsche to an M5 for comfort is pointless. i dunno, hope this helps a bit

Old 06-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
If more space is the priority then you should take the S55, but if space is just "one of the reasons" keep the p car.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:39 PM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
I went from 996TT (after 11 months) to a CL55 which is a 2dr with the weight of the S class.

I started looking at other cars after 6 months in the CL, but here it is 25 months later and I'm still driving the CL.

The roads that I are drive are straight and smooth and I don't get a chance to enjoy the handling of the 911. On the other hand, I do get to enjoy the 575 ft/lbs of torque in the CL on a daily basis. I get 5,000 miles per set of rear tires.

The comfort ride is a nice benefit too and with the pulley, ecu and headers, the car significantly faster than my stock Turbo was.

Having said all that, if I lived in an area of twisties, I'd be back in a 911TT.

Oh, btw, http://69.13.120.185/forums/showthread.php?t=134367, that's a nice one.

Two suggestions, 1) if you plan to mod, get a 65, they respond that much better 2) make sure your warranty is intact. The engine is bulletproof but that ABC suspension can be tricky.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Old body S is so dated. One of the most depreciated car that will continue to drop in value.

Why not get a new M3 or CLK63? At least a C63? Any of these cars will offer more comfort and room. You can have paddle shift or automatic with rear seats.

Obviously, if you want a full size sedan without spending too much, S55 isn't a bad choice but it'd be one of my last choices. Personal bias against old body S I guess.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM
MikeySed is infamous around these partsMikeySed is infamous around these parts
i agree, the old body style is very dated

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Shake is infamous around these parts
I would keep the p-car unless you have a family or need the space. I would wait and save for an 07+ S-class.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
The new S class is much improved, but the older W220 is still a fantastic car. If you want serious power, look for an S600 or S65. Either one could be as quick as your 996 but have a better ride and still fit 5 people. Im a sports car nut until I die, but the S class is a great car.

The E60 M5 is nice, but not as nice of a car, its less comfortable, less or a cruiser, but a more brash and high strung sedan.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:32 PM
AG996LV is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not making any hasty decisions right now, just kicking it around. I have noticed some very reasonable prices on the 03-06 S55 lately and it got me thinking about a big comfortable cruiser. I don't really need a bigger car, I have an 07 Escalade(wife's daily) when a big vehicle is necessary. Just getting tired of a 6-speed and A/C seats seem pretty cool right now in the summer. I don't drive the Porsche to anywhere near it's potential and have only 1 track day in the last year. No rush, just thinking about it and wanted some input from others who have had both cars.
I guess i will just stick with it for a while longer, maybe mod it for more power and get excited about it again. I used to think it was fast and it just doesn't seem as thrilling as it was a year ago.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Oakeguy is infamous around these parts
I like driving my Mercedes, but it is not a Porsche. It is a smoother ride and more comfortable, But it is not a Porsche. Getting th point?
You'll miss it when it's gone. Keep the P- car.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 AM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AG996LV
... Just getting tired of a 6-speed and A/C seats seem pretty cool right now in the summer. ...
Don't be too impressed until you try them, my CL has them and it's marginal cooling.
Maybe they improved them over the years.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
MikeySed is infamous around these partsMikeySed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DFW911T
Don't be too impressed until you try them, my CL has them and it's marginal cooling.
Maybe they improved them over the years.
My CL600 has them, and I also have them in my caddy XLR.

WAY OVERRATED. They do not do much. Its not the same effect as a heated seat. Heated seats get very hot. Not a similar feel.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Yes, you are crazy.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
GTEE83 is infamous around these parts
AG996LV, check your PMs for my opinion on this.

The seats aren't actually cooled, but they circulate air. It's not the greatest thing, but the A/C does a good job cooling things down quickly enough here in FL. I lived out in AZ for about 12 years, and humidity removal is more important here in FL (in comparison to out west, e.g. Vegas, where you live) than dropping the temperature x-degrees in a given amount of time, but it does that pretty effectively as well.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Mr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by djantlive
Old body S is so dated. One of the most depreciated car that will continue to drop in value.

Why not get a new M3 or CLK63? At least a C63? Any of these cars will offer more comfort and room. You can have paddle shift or automatic with rear seats.

Obviously, if you want a full size sedan without spending too much, S55 isn't a bad choice but it'd be one of my last choices. Personal bias against old body S I guess.
+1 couldn't agree more

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my 996 Turbo for S55..Am I crazy?