Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

"Uber SL65 amg" $320k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:38 PM
amslb182 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alzilla300
That looks like it should be called the AMG SL-DTM instead of "just" being a Black Series model. Such a badass car!!!

Someone please correct me if im wrong but isnt the point of the CLK-DTM to homologate the car for the DTM series? I do not beleive there is an SL in the DTM series, probably the reason why it "just" has the black series badge.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Is it me, or does this thing have a bit of an aftermarket wide-body conversion feel to it? I just don't love the deep vents form the door panels created by the flared wheel wells. I know these things have monster tourque but shouln't it accelerate a bit better with all of that HP. I guess it's hard to move all of that weight in a hurry. At some point, I think if AM wants to compete well in the true super performance market, it needs to leighten these beasts up and come up with a better transmission option.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
JN87 is infamous around these parts
I believe you're right amslb182. CLK DTM AMG was inspired by the DTM race cars, thus the name.

Anyhow, as badass as this SL is, I would still like to see a real AMG sports car. Something that looks like this, but with a 6-speed manual, no gimmicks and maybe the AMG V8 instead to help have the curb weight go under 3800 lbs, maybe name it SR63 AMG or something.
But there probably isnt enough people that want a Mercedes like that, so I'm not setting my hopes too high.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
That car is sosososos sexy!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Insane C63 is infamous around these parts
It is funny to me that the gearbox keeps coming up on this forum. AMG has always had auto gearboxes.

I must be in the minority but I prefer a sequential gearbox. I am not saying that AMG is at that point because they are not but given the choice of a manual or a sequential, I take sequential.

I get my satisfaction out of really quick lap times not rowing gears and heel toe downshifts. Does that make me any less of a sportscar enthusiast? Many race cars have them, does this make race drivers any less of a driver?

The way Porsche are moving, we may just see a GT3 with an AUTO sequential at some point.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:03 PM
On Pole is a jewel in the roughOn Pole is a jewel in the roughOn Pole is a jewel in the rough
Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Slick //M is infamous around these partsSlick //M is infamous around these parts
I like it but:

1. It resembles a wide body add on
2. 5 speed automatic???? that would be fine in a 1996 camry for 8k,...but a 320k supercar? - -5 speed auto? LOL !!!!
3. I saw videos of this on germancarzone.com,.....doens't sound good at all.. . can't even really hear an exhaust note, over the turbos
4. this thing will never hold value. . . if i was to spend that kind of cash,...Id still have to go for a 599, or a CGT.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
SL65AMG Black > SLR

Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned
*STATUS* is infamous around these parts
pretty impressive

Old 07-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Car_Collector is infamous around these parts
It sounds to quiet I think.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
the straightline stats are pretty sick...

0-125mph in under 10 secs (GT2 = 11.1 secs)
0-186mph in under 30 secs (GT2 = 36.5 secs)

ok, so we're talking over 100HP advantage for the SL65, but still...

as for the 5 spd auto, yeah what a pity. But i don't think there are many Benz buyers who'd want a manual, and there isn't an SMG/DSG/e-Gear/F1 tranny out there that can survive this engine's torque... so what's Benz to do?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.