Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Breaking in a C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM
quicksilver01 is infamous around these parts
Breaking in a C63

My friend just took delivery of a C63. The dealer told him to follow the break-in instructions and keep it under 4500 rpms for 1000 miles. A renntech rep told him the opposite. He suggested that my friend mash the hell out of the throttle from day one to "teach the car how to drive".

Do these engines need a little "quiet time" to settle in or can you just let it rip?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Murtaza is infamous around these parts
My buddy has a CLS63 and he broke it in hard. Car performs great.

If I had a 63 I would break it in hard as well, varying the rpms and not babying the motor for 1000 miles...

Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
The book says light driving under 4500 rpms for 1000 miles. Preferable mode is to
drive it in comfort mode for the first 1000 miles and dont drive it under condiitons that would make the tranny kick down (manual mode and downshifting)

Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Jay Slay has a spectacular aura aboutJay Slay has a spectacular aura about
I pounded my C63 since day 1. Still working..

Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Did you buy a performance car or a baby carriage?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:42 PM
SirBells is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Did you buy a performance car or a baby carriage?
it fits both rolls... the little one loves to say go daddy go!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Blue_Monster is infamous around these parts
Keep it FLOORED the first 1000 miles. That way if anything breaks, it happens right away

Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Truble10 is infamous around these parts
Growing up racing snowmobiles, bikes, karts and cars on our new or rebuilt motors we always let the motor warm up to operating temp. then ran it through the whole RPM range. The only rule we had was not to hold high RPM's for an extended period of time and to let the motor cool down before immediately shutting down.

It always seemed like the guys who ran the motor from the beginning had stronger motors longer term that the ones who limit the RPM's for say 4000 miles. I also believe that every motor is a little different. Some are just stronger than others.

This is a highly debated topic among Porsche guys and every few weeks someone will come on the forum and whine about having to keep the car under 4000 RPM's for the first 2000-4000 miles. I have never agreed with this type of break-in. I would never get in a cold vehicle and pound on it but as long as the engine is warmed up I say go for it.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Trouble10 First of all. Do you believe we are going to trust you! A guy racing snowmobiles in Scottsdale Arizona? LOL. Now I know it gets cool there but I wouldnt
want to make a living selling snowmobiles in Scottsdale!
I am glad the AMG break in is only 1000 miles and not the 2400 or what ever it was on my GT3!
I dont think it hurts the motor to break it in for 1000 miles under different loads.It makes sense for the rings and valves to seat well, that they need time to wear into the position they are going to be in for the rest of the motors life. For a whopping 6.208 liters, it probably needs a little time to settle in and seat themselves. I only have 200 miles to go so I am going to say let them seat!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
I babied my e46 M3 for the 1st 1200 miles as stated, and then did the 1200 mile service

I had the fastest stock M3 i ever went up against, and due to tracks meets and friendly street racing meets with other M3's, i lined up against several yet never lost a race

Even modified M3's (cams, ecu, intake, exhaust) and a passenger in my car filming, i still always took it...

Due to this im a believer in taking breaking it in right...

Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 AM
pkchino is infamous around these parts
It's been long debated among all the auto enthusiasts forums, for those who are bored, read the following website, some interesting theories/ideas.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I do the following:

ALWAYS WARM UP THE ENGINE FIRST

Normal driving + several pull through the entire RPM

ALWAYS LET THE ENGINE COOLS DOWN FOR 10 MINS BEFORE SHUTS DOWN

Oil change for 100 miles, then 300 miles, 500 miles then 1000 miles and then it's "pedal to the metal" time

Old 09-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Truble10 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Trouble10 First of all. Do you believe we are going to trust you! A guy racing snowmobiles in Scottsdale Arizona? LOL. Now I know it gets cool there but I wouldnt
want to make a living selling snowmobiles in Scottsdale!
I am glad the AMG break in is only 1000 miles and not the 2400 or what ever it was on my GT3!
I dont think it hurts the motor to break it in for 1000 miles under different loads.It makes sense for the rings and valves to seat well, that they need time to wear into the position they are going to be in for the rest of the motors life. For a whopping 6.208 liters, it probably needs a little time to settle in and seat themselves. I only have 200 miles to go so I am going to say let them seat!!!
I might live part time in Scottsdale now but I did not grow up here and can guarantee I've seen more race engines and more race engine rebuilds than you have in two lifetimes.

Don't worry I don't make my living selling snowmobiles.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:48 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Fully warm drive train and drive it how you normally drive. I am not a fan of following the break in rules other than getting to know cars capabilities.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM
BLACKC63LSD is infamous around these parts
Does Mercedes test run the engines at the factory. If so, the engine should theoretically be broken in before the car is released to the general public. However, do the other parts of the car need to be broken in such as the suspension, rear end, etc. before you exceed 4,500RPM's?

Last edited by BLACKC63LSD; 09-29-2008 at 09:44 AM.