Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Is the SL the best build MB/car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 AM
PitbullSL500 is infamous around these parts
Is the SL the best build MB/car

Just for comparison sake. The SL weighs around 4200 lbs and the CL that is over 20 inches longer and has a 16 inch longer wheel base is only 250 lbs heavier. The CL is a very well built vehicle but the SL is built like a brick zhit house.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:03 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
For the size and appearance, the SL is a very HEAVY car. Probably due to the fact that it is a convertable needing lots of reinforcements in order to keep it reasonably stiff. The best built Mercedes? I am not so sure about that.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 PM
PHIL2 is infamous around these parts
I would say the amg's are the best built.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:49 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
This is an easy question to answer:

Its' a vert... If you don't know why those weigh more... look it up

Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
The AMG C63 is the first car to be designed from the ground up with AMG involved. So based on that the C63 is just HUGELY fun to drive.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
SL is an aging platform. excess weight usually means lack of light weight material used. i dont think SL has much aluminum or composite parts IIRC.

S class is probably one of the better platforms. If you want sportier chassis, C class as mentioned is really great for a compact sedan. I cant think of a MB that is a true sports car which has to be reasonably weighted - even the Black Series weigh a ton. They are all porkers which are better off as sedans IMO.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 PM
humveelat is infamous around these parts
For me, the amg's are the best. It's a nice built of car.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:42 PM
PitbullSL500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by humveelat
For me, the amg's are the best. It's a nice built of car.
I thought the AMG just was some tuning of suspension and engine build. I thought the car was built and then delivered to AMG for these enhancements.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:36 PM
humveelat is infamous around these parts
Sorry i forgot to put "for enhancement" of it. It was supposedly It's a nice built for enhancement of car. Thanks for the correction.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
The new SL65 Black will be the best built benz, as AMG has reinforced the chassis with an intregated roll cage as well as lighting the car with carbon fiber which drops the weight about 400 lbs. The top is fixed which gives added strength. The CLK 63 Black series would be the next (best built), as it has a triagulated frame and the body gets seam welds for rigourous track day activites. Much of the higher prices of the black series goes for the engineering and under the skin strengh not so apparent to most.
Jimmy

Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 PM
AUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these parts
The best Benzes are the ones from the mid-90s.

All the other ones are poor in terms of quality and longevity.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:55 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
50-60's

Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
sanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the rough
i would say the SL's from the early 2000's

The front grill slats on all 1991-2002 SL's are made from spare titanium Daimler-Chrysler Aerospace fighter jet engine blades. These are from the Eurofighter first flown in 1994 at Daimler-Benz' facility in Manching. The titanium blades are perfectly aerodynamic, are hollow and weigh less than painted plastic used on discount cars like Toyota's Lexus brand, and are stronger than steel for resistance to road grit at high speeds. Remember the SL500 is one of the world's fastest cars and at 150 MPH+ continuous cruising speeds in Europe abrasion from even the smallest grit, bugs and pebbles has the effect of sand-blasting lesser cars.

care like this doesn't happen anymore

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sl/index.htm