Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

What to Get SL55 or M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 PM
993ReDline is infamous around these parts
What to Get SL55 or M3

I finally got enough money to get some German machinery and im still debating which to get an sl55 or m3 its not going to be a daily driver more of a weekend driver. are there any problems that occur often in the sl55 that i should be aware of? i know in m3 models 01-03 they have a chance to have engine failure so if i get that it wont be in those years. which do you think would be a better candidate?

thanks guys

Old 01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
RaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud of
You know, I was having trouble deciding between these two last year as well. For months it was "SL55 or M3??" & it really is a hard decision, but then I ended up getting a Porsche... So just get a 996, best bang for your buck, hands down. Just make sure to get a PPI & ask for all records. P-Cars really are THE DEAL right now. Infact, if I would've known the market was going to drop so bad a couple of months after buying my car, I would've just waited to get a 997S instead... Although if you're really set on either of the 2 choices you mentioned, I'd say get the SL55. It's rarer, faster (at least in a straight line), definetely sexier, & the hard top convertible is a super plus (well for me it is). Plus these days, you see way too many a-holes that swear they're the shiznit driving M3s, I don't know what it is about that car that attracts ****** (& I say this in a non-offensive way, my brother actually happens to drive an e92 M3).

Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 PM
thats funny you actually say that because that was the other car i was think of getting and a friend of mine has an 03 996 and the engine ceased while taking a turn and i herd that it happens often even though anothor friend has a 02 996 and it runs flawless with no problems whatsoever but thats what scared me out of it. but still was thinking about getting a c4s regardless since i know this doesnt happen with all 996's but your rite the sl55 is very very SEXY. so this is a tough one.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 PM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
SL55 ftw

Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 AM
alpineovernappa is a jewel in the roughalpineovernappa is a jewel in the roughalpineovernappa is a jewel in the rough
only M3s before 04/02 birth had potential issues. Buy the M3- best deal for the money right now. Then again, I'm a hypocrite because I'm selling my M3 to buy an SL55

Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 AM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by alpineovernappa
only M3s before 04/02 birth had potential issues. Buy the M3- best deal for the money right now. Then again, I'm a hypocrite because I'm selling my M3 to buy an SL55

nice one

Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 AM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
SL55...I wouldn't even think twice about this.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Nomad is infamous around these parts
If it were to be your daily, I'd say the SL. Being that you want a weekend car, though, i'd say M3.

To me the SL is more of a cruiser, albeit a fast one, IMHO (and yes i've driven both).

Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
IndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond reputeIndebtS5 has a reputation beyond repute
SL has more room for mods

Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Nomad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IndebtS5
SL has more room for mods
Good point. Didn't really think of that. I guess it depends on what the OP wants out of the car (and only he knows that).

Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
well the car will be driven during the weekdays(about 1mile aday mon-fri) but not to work which is a 46 mile drive. i will want to modifiy it but nothing toO crazy. which years of both cars are the best to get? is there anyway to do weight reductions on the sl55 seeing how it weighs over 2 tons and is it even worth it to do it?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
i had both, the e46 M3 and the SL55 --- the SL55 wins hands down!!!

you have a 330ci right now, dont worry about weight reduction on the SL55, it will already blow your brains out from the torque and the power compared to your 330ci.
go for the SL55, because of the supercharger you can then also increase power very easily. pulley, ecu, headers, and throttlebody and you have a FASTTT car.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Point2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to beholdPoint2Point is a splendid one to behold
SL55 is an easy choice if you can swing the price difference over an E46 M3. It is better looking, much more exclusive, and better equipped. Oh yeah...the torque from that supercharged V8 will shock you.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I have $35,000 to spend on it and now im leaning towards the SL55 more and more but are there anythings that go wrong often with them? How many miles should be on the SL55 for $35k? Also are there any better years for the car to be bought in than others?

Thanks guys for all the info

Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 PM
jcqnet is infamous around these parts
Sl 55 untill u hit a turn,than its m3 all the way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to Get SL55 or M3