Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Where to go from Renntech stage V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 PM
melmark is infamous around these parts
Where to go from Renntech stage V?

While always looking for more power , I wonder what the next stage in the evolution of my SL55 should be (?). I currently have stage V Renntech upgrades consisting of pulley upgrade, larger throttle body, carbon fiber intake, ECU, and headers. Claimed hp is 605.

What is the next move for more power? Cams? Porting? Nitrous? Anyone have upgrades from stage V and lived to tell about it? What worked best?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by melmark
While always looking for more power , I wonder what the next stage in the evolution of my SL55 should be (?). I currently have stage V Renntech upgrades consisting of pulley upgrade, larger throttle body, carbon fiber intake, ECU, and headers. Claimed hp is 605.

What is the next move for more power? Cams? Porting? Nitrous? Anyone have upgrades from stage V and lived to tell about it? What worked best?
Next stage is an SLR block and cams with revised air intake. You've hit the max on air flow. Not much to be gained by porting a FI vehicle. For track runs you'll need upgraded intercooler. Saw this done on an euro E55 and it was 800 hp at the flywheel. Monster car.
Jimmy

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
melmark is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JJayB
Next stage is an SLR block and cams with revised air intake. You've hit the max on air flow. Not much to be gained by porting a FI vehicle. For track runs you'll need upgraded intercooler. Saw this done on an euro E55 and it was 800 hp at the flywheel. Monster car.
Jimmy
How does the SLR block lead to more hp? I would assume it can just handle more power than the OEM block, and that power would come from the cams and "revised air intake"?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
You need to focus on the cooling aspect of your setup, I would increase the overall fluid capacity of the intercooler system in conjunction with an upgraded heat exchanger.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 AM
BlownVette has a spectacular aura aboutBlownVette has a spectacular aura aboutBlownVette has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by melmark

They added a second intercooler and a higher flow rate intercooler pump to mine after the basic stage V kit and then modified the ECU program further (I suspect more ignition timing advance). You may also be able to run more boost.

I have tried to run a few traps with RENNtech and my local installer on more power, but so far have come up empty. I was thinking that adding methanol injection under boost would increase octane and cool the intake charge substantially, thereby allowing more boost and ignition timing advance. I have also thought about switching to turbos, air-to-air intercooler(s), and adding methanol injection.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
NMT
Former Vendor
NMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to behold
Call US!