Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Should I really buy a 09 C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:18 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Should I really buy a 09 C63?

Well, I can tell you I came out very very impressed after test driving the C63. While I am not a big fan of the mpg (not exactly complaining as that is the price to pay for in a performance car, but look at Nissan GTR), no free scheduled service, and no parktronic (more my wife's complaint)...sorry, you can tell I am a Bimmer guy for the longest time...but I still think it's time to move on from the ///M family.

Two major things that are bothering me from signing those papers at the dealers are:

-Resale Value: While I have to be a fool to think that car is an investment, it's scary to look at how much the used E63 or CLS63 are going for right now...While I have no interest in getting an E63 or CLS63, I am not buying something that will just drop like a rock either...Also somewhat tied to next point, which I am sure will have an impact on the value of 08-9 C63

-2010 Changes: I keep hearing AMG is planning to do some major changes to the AMG lineup a lot earlier than expected, such as start-stop technology, DI...It does bother me about the AMG cars. Everyone knows "something better" is always around the corner, but not something entirely different. BMW does update the M cars with visual changes such as LED taillights...but not as drastic as AMG. Just look at the previous gen C and E...C32 > C55...E55 > E63...and looks like it's gonna happen to C63 again only after in the market for a year.

Should I do this? Or should I hold out?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
MB_Forever is infamous around these parts
No matter what AMG you buy, it will be worth 50% (or less) in 2 years if not more . AMGs depreciate in value very fast. Add to that the current state of the economy, and you get a big financial mess. But like you said, a car is not an investment. We buy these cars because we love them. We love the drive and love the performance. To avoid the huge hits in depreciation, you can always either lease a new car and let the bank worry about the market value after you turn it in or you can simply buy a lightly used car. A one year used C63 will probably hit low 50s if not high 40s soon.

Whatever you decide, I can tell you that the AMG experience is amazing and should be experienced at least once among all the high performance cars out there. Good luck on your decision.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Yes, thanks for the feedback. When I was at the dealership 2 weeks ago, I can tell they are more aggressive than ever to have me strike the deal. At that point, only 30 mins of negotiation, we were already talking invoice on the C63, and full blue book best condition trade-in for my wife's 06 330i. We were fairly shocked. Only 4 months ago, when I was trying to trade in my 03 M3 > 06 M6, they gave me the usual b.s. about black book and auction on my M...$13k we're talking. Isn't that crazy?

But at that point, my mind was set on "buying" the C63, so didn't really spend a minute on any lease terms. We will head back there and listen to their lease offer.

Yes, definitely want to experience that AMG experience at least once. When we test drove the new M3, I no longer have that "shoot, I gotta buy this" feeling like I had when I first test drove the previous gens which I ended up buying. I need a change of scene. Right now, it really comes down to C63 vs. 996 TT...I know they are totally different cars, but I know for sure I won't regret going one way or the other, as long as I keep myself from checking craigslist for slightly used C63 prices...

Old 03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Most-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond reputeMost-Wanted has a reputation beyond repute
I have bought two new AMG'S recently at or near invoice and still lost tons of money. There is no way you could get me to buy a new AMG again. Look at the CLK black. New 138,000, now with an average of 5k miles you can buy in the 80,000 range. E63 new is roughly 95,000, you can buy used for low 50,000 all day long. They are awesome cars, they just have horrible resale value. Buy a nice used one is my advice....

Old 03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I will definitely keep this thread away from my wife, because she has a much bigger concern about resale value than I do. She hates losing $$ on cars...where most men fail to cut the emotional piece out of the decision.

That is almost the reason I am also looking at 996TT since majority of depreciation is gone at this point...though hopefully, it will not turn out to be a maintenance nightmare...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
if you are worried about resale, why not lease it for 2-3 yrs?

isn't C63 around $65k? it's not too bad...

how about a SL55 that's at $50k used? if you really dont want to get hit with resale loss. however, it's an older design.

i'm sure the 63 engine will be improved. however, i dont think it really needs more power. what it needs is 4WD and better handling to beat M3. but you already know that, dont you?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I am not too concerned about a new and improved C63 that will be better than mine. It's not my goal to beat a M3 or whatever getting a C63 anyway. If it's that important to me beating a M3, I probably won't even consider a C63 but rather just pick up a M3.

It's actually funny, but I am not even allowed to consider any SLs. My wife's uncle is been trying hard to sell me his 06 SL500 and I've been saying no to him...too big, too flashy if I show up in that thing going to client's site...yet, I can't say one word that the drive of a SL500 is so-so and kinda slow to me...if I show up tomorrow in a SL55, that will really create some interesting family drama.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Lew L is infamous around these parts
There is slightly more room in a C63 than in an M3. If you are tall, you have to put the seat in the M3 all the way back so there is NO leg room for the rear passenger. There isn't a whole lot of leg room in the rear of the C63, but enough for me 5 and 6 year olds for the next couple of years. They could not fit behing me in the M3.

I drove new M3s (2-door, 4-door, conv.) and a 2007 M6. I also have an 06 997. Rear seat behind me (I am 6'4") is not usable at all in those cars. Drove an M5 and E63, but they felt too big. Also, both are late in their design cycles. The C63 had the best set of qualities and compromises: roomy, but still compact and taught (I have the performance package), good power and an excellent platform to hotrod (I added an ECU remap and perf. headers and cats for an extra 100 hp). The rear wheels are too small (you can fit 10" wide rears and 285s max, but no deep lip wheels) and the car understeers a little. While not quite as precise as an M3 when really pushed on the track (but it is still really precise), the torque makes up for it in the smile factor and it is about as fast as anything could possibly be on real roads. For real world sporty driving on the road is a blast - more fun than my 997. Plus, my whole family can fit. For short trips, 4 adults can fit. Almost as much fun as my Kirkham 427 S/C (630 hp/tq, 2300 lbs), but much more liveable.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
MB_Forever is infamous around these parts
+1 on the room factor. The C63 has more room and just much more usable space than the M3. And trust me, you'll find that the added space is more comfortable and practical in the long run. Also, since you've already been an M customer in the past, you should try an AMG. The C63 is definitely an awesome car to start with although the SL55 option seems tempting as well. I've seen 2006 SL55s as low as $43k with 35k miles on them and in reasonable conditions But once you get the car and drive it, you won't care how many miles it has or that you bought it used

Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
JOHNNYBEGOOD is infamous around these parts
I'm in the same line as you bro. I drive an 04 m3 and i was thinking about trading in my m3 for the 09 c63. I still dont really know what i'm going to get. So what u planning on getting ?

Originally Posted by beckham23
well, i can tell you i came out very very impressed after test driving the c63. While i am not a big fan of the mpg (not exactly complaining as that is the price to pay for in a performance car, but look at nissan gtr), no free scheduled service, and no parktronic (more my wife's complaint)...sorry, you can tell i am a bimmer guy for the longest time...but i still think it's time to move on from the ///m family.

Two major things that are bothering me from signing those papers at the dealers are:

-resale value: While i have to be a fool to think that car is an investment, it's scary to look at how much the used e63 or cls63 are going for right now...while i have no interest in getting an e63 or cls63, i am not buying something that will just drop like a rock either...also somewhat tied to next point, which i am sure will have an impact on the value of 08-9 c63

-2010 changes: I keep hearing amg is planning to do some major changes to the amg lineup a lot earlier than expected, such as start-stop technology, di...it does bother me about the amg cars. Everyone knows "something better" is always around the corner, but not something entirely different. Bmw does update the m cars with visual changes such as led taillights...but not as drastic as amg. Just look at the previous gen c and e...c32 > c55...e55 > e63...and looks like it's gonna happen to c63 again only after in the market for a year.

Should i do this? Or should i hold out?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have definitely ruled out M3 at this point, or RS4 for that matter since the new RS4 will just be around the corner. I am getting very tired of the M3, coming from e36 & e46 M3. Plus, my wife is already driving a 06 330i, so the new 3ers interior doesn't do anything to me.

I am really coming down to 09 C63 or 996 TT. Will update you guys how it goes. All I know is, I won't regret going one way or the other. I've never owned an AMG nor Porsche before, so that new experience is just exciting to even think about.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Hmmm, 09 C63 or 996TT? Can't go wrong either way but I have a baby and the P-car wouldn't be useful at all to me. My test drive of the C63 left me speechless. AMG hit a homerun with that one.

Talking about depreciation, go look up a 2006 CL65 AMG. New $180k, used $60k. Ouch.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah, it's darn scary to track AMG used car prices...while I never look into this as an investment, I started off looking at CLS63/55...and I was like 'oh shoot'...comparing to M5 let's say, these guys really drop like a huge rock...and that really makes me concern about resale value of C63. It's tough though, even with that huge concern, I can't get C63 off my mind. I guess I'm just surprised how impressive this guy is, cos' I always think AMGs are all lookers. This one actually performs!!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
I love the C63, though I wish I had waited and gotten it lightly used. If you can get a great deal on a new one, do it, but definitely take a look at lightly used 08s and 09s.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM
MCJ
MCJ is infamous around these partsMCJ is infamous around these parts
I'm patiently waiting for the CL63 to come down to my level and when it does I'll buy one.

The C63 is also a great car and considering one myself while waiting for the CL. Take a look around, there's already some gently used ones out there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I really buy a 09 C63?