Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Paint falling off OEM CL65 rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Paint falling off OEM CL65 rims

I have not changed the way I pressure clean and wash the wheels but the paint is now falling off the wheels and the black paint underneath shows(See pic).
I do the same with my other cars and no problems.
I noticed earlier that the paint was getting darker, as if brake fuid was spilled on them, but now I realize that the paint is just getting thin and is now just falling off.

I did not buy the car new, but the rest of the car is perfect, never painted and there is no reason to think these wheels are refinished.
Both front wheels are as bad as in the picture, the rears less, but also starting to have the same problem.

The car still has factory warranty and I will bring it in next week, I expect it is covered under warranty, but has anyone else have these problems?

My car is Flint Grey, the color of the rims always seems a bit off to me. Should I powder coast them to match the car, or keep them the slightly different, but original color?

Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Bellefonte is infamous around these parts
Do you use acidic wheel cleaners? They can cause the gray finish on wheels to become thin and show the underlying black. But I have never seen flaking from this.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
No just a pressure cleaner and soap, just like I do with all my cars.
Maybe I have time to bring it in nextr week and we will see what the dealer says..

Still thinking to match the Flint grey of the car, now the stock color always seems a bit off.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
What year is the car? Do you drive it really hard? The reason I'm asking is.....I COULD see the paint be damaged during "Multiple" heat cycles....Just a thought!!!

What color is your CL? Maybe it's time to paint the inside Black!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
What year is the car? Do you drive it really hard? The reason I'm asking is.....I COULD see the paint be damaged during "Multiple" heat cycles....Just a thought!!!

What color is your CL? Maybe it's time to paint the inside Black!!!
'05 26K miles. Never tracked (Can't imagine anyone tracking a CL.), my wife drives it 90% percent of the time.
No Black, I like OEM look ;-) Maybe match the flint grey and poder coat them, the OEM wheel color always seems just a bit mismatched.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
allenjdmb is infamous around these parts
Mine too....

the clear is beginning to eat through on my 06 SL55 (same wheel). Two of them look bad. I left it at the MB dealer this week for some warranty repairs, let's see if they give me any help. Obviously, we are not alone in this condition.....

Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
NMT
Former Vendor
NMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to behold
i have them on my E55 and have had no issues but the paint is almost impossible to match. I would go to the dealer or re-finish every wheel.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Mine are too far gone to try to match the paint, they will all 4 have to be repainted or powder coated completely.

From talking over the phone to the dealer I get the feeling they know these wheels have issues.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
I'd have to say your issue is a result of the pressure washer and whatever wheel cleaner you're using? Do you use the pressure washer to clean the wheel or do you spray on cleaner, wipe the wheel down with a microfiber mit then rinse? I'm sure you know that the wheel is painted in the same manner as the car so you have to be really careful how you attack the brake dust and grime..... My guess is your wheels have been refinished at some point? Good luck.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:27 PM
All my cars the same routine, pressure clean the entire car, including wheels and than wash with soap, hose off with the pressure cleaner and towel dry..

I did not see it come off when pressure cleaning the wheels but it is when it ahappened I'm sure, but something else is wrong, the paint just seems to thin..

Once a year someone who does know what he is doing comes and detail the car and remove all the scratching I do..

Old 06-17-2009, 04:46 PM
allenjdmb is infamous around these parts
MB knows...

they have a problem with these wheels. Though they are extremely expensive, the material is still really porous. That's what makes it so easy for them to pit or peel. For a wheel that's about $2000 each in the parts department, they are not the best quality. Yes, be very careful when cleaning-make sure they are cool and use only the gentlest of chemicals, if at all.
Now, to give MB props, they just replaced all 4 of mine under warranty. Thanks to MB and the crew at Atlanta Classic Cars fpr seeing about them.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
i have seen this before when you power wash these wheels!