Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

$12.5K off MSRP on E550...time to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
$12.5K off MSRP on E550...time to buy?

I was planning on picking up an entry level luxury sedan in about 8-12 months from now and have been doing some research. I was dissapointed w/ the C class Merc, decided against the excellent 5 series BMW and various Lexi. Believe it or not, I was most impressed w/ the Hyundai Genesis and really like the idea of saving money.

However I just discovered that the excellent E class is being heavily discounted as the title suggests. 12.5k off on the 550, and 10.5 K on the 350. I really should wait until next summer to buy, but how long will these prices last? Recent economic indicators suggest that the economy may start rebounding (although unemployment, always the lagging indicator) is still bad.

I would like to hear some opinions about the E class (550 and 350 respectively...I don't need another fast car) and how long these prices might last. Are they reliable?

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Is this the redesigned E class or still the old one?

Edwin

Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Edwin,

The old one which of course explains the discount....however I did not expect 12.5K.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:18 PM
From Edmunds:

2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Vehicle Overview
Introduction
A lot has changed on the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class, from body style availability to interior design and quality. But nothing is more significant than this tidbit: The new, redesigned Mercedes costs less than the vehicle it replaces. And not by a little, either. There's a $5,400 difference between a 2010 Mercedes E550 sedan and the outgoing '09 edition. After years of rising prices and diminishing quality, Mercedes has dramatically reversed that trend with a cheaper car that's better in every way than its predecessor. Oh, and there's also a new E-Class coupe that's cheaper than the CLK-Class it replaces. Truly, there's good news all around

Old 07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Sean,

I'm sure you know but MB has some of the most ridiculous and absurd depreciation on the used car market. The 12.5k you saved is the depreciation hit you'll take the moment it goes off the lot. I guess if you plan on selling it within 2-3 years, you will lose less but with the new E class out, the current E class prices will continue to drop. Just my 0.02.

In terms of reliability, my friend had one that had about 80k miles before he sold it. He said that everytime he took it in for service/repair, it wouldn't be less than $1.5k. This is a moot point however if your car is under warranty (which it will be)

Edwin

Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
550 is an awesome engine. A lot of torque throughout the entire band. Go for it.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Edwin,

Correct, they typically drop 10K the second you drive away from the stealer. But the discount covers that. Also, I have heard that Mercs that are the tail end of the production runs are pretty reliable, it is the first year models that are the train wrecks. In any event you are correct in asserting that even w/ the discount, the MB is in no way a money saver.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
drdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the rough
$12.5 is NOT a good deal on the 09 E550 right now. I just bought one last week for $21k off. There is $12k in factory to dealer money. Plus they are selling well below invoice. the only problem is inventory is running low. Here is a recent thread on slickdeals. hope this helps.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...2809&t=1471309

Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, I will go into the local MB stealership and offer to buy an E550 tomorrow for 20K off MSRP.

If they say no I will politely leave my # and go home. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by zl272hihi396
快播先生和小锤免费电影里都有好多精彩的电影,都是免费的.告诉大家个秘密,还有甜性涩爱呢!

You got all that Sean?

Edwin

Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 AM
I just spoke w/ a sales manager...he said he can do 14K off on an E 350....I bet if I pulled out the checkbook he would say yes to 15....tempting.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I just spoke w/ a sales manager...he said he can do 14K off on an E 350....I bet if I pulled out the checkbook he would say yes to 15....tempting.
Sean,

If you got $14k off over the phone, I bet you can get at least $16.5k with cashbook in hand, esp since today is the last day of the month

Edwin

Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
You know what, I am going to go down w/ checkbook in hand, look at a loaded E350 and say, "18K and I will start writing."

Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
Sean,

I think that's the way to go. Or...have it already filled out and hand it to the salesman like he was a contestant on who wants to be a millionare... final answer?

Edwin

Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM
drdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the rough
if the 550 is available drive it. i just couldnt handle the weak 350 motor. there is more dealer incentive money on the 550's so price difference may not be that big. good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $12.5K off MSRP on E550...time to buy?