Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

2007 mercedes s550 - need suggestions for wheels size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 PM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
Question 2007 mercedes s550 - need suggestions for wheels size

We just got a new toy for wifey. 2007 s550

I / we have always had aftermarket wheels on all of our cars and we are looking to change out the existing 19" amg wheels with either 20 or 21". The car is white with black interior and has the amg package.

Her last truck was a mercedes R350 and we had 22" amg style wheels. she curbed them (scuff) not bent. Anyway what are your suggestions / comments for the mommy machine (carrier of our girls 5 and 3 years old). I will drive it on the weekends etc.

My daily driver is a Mercedes E 350 with the AMG package with 20" wheels, spoilers blah blah. So we are big after market wheel fans, but not looking to make this an issue with the typical.

Honey, can I see you in the garage ??? What did you hit ??? Look Look you have to be more careful !!!

that is why I am feeling 20's but the wheel would have to be flush vs with a lip becuase I feel the 20's look to small for the car with a lip.

Also I am NOT looking to spend a ton of cash on these wheels. I have been introduced to a company called eurosportrims and they have very inexpensive wheels with very good designs.

go on their website

www.eurosportrims.com and I am considering the euro 22 (BUT WE WILL HAVE THEM PAINTED OEM SILVER) Check out the photo gallery under page 12. same wheel painted silver.

thoughts comments ???

Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
FEAR is infamous around these partsFEAR is infamous around these parts
eurosport rims are cheap, but you get what you pay for. it is my expirence with many merceds over the years, adn they all had aftermarket wheels, when i bough tless expensive wheels, no mattter what tire, they vibrated, could get rid of it, quality high end wheels, perfect. consider spending some real money, you can get a set of 20" real 3 piece wheels for the 3k range, you are in florida with half of the wheel industry. i say get a good quality wheels.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 AM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FEAR
eurosport rims are cheap, but you get what you pay for. it is my expirence with many merceds over the years, adn they all had aftermarket wheels, when i bough tless expensive wheels, no mattter what tire, they vibrated, could get rid of it, quality high end wheels, perfect. consider spending some real money, you can get a set of 20" real 3 piece wheels for the 3k range, you are in florida with half of the wheel industry. i say get a good quality wheels.
I just ordered them, I have friends that have them and have NO issues. We will see. Worst case is that I spent less than $1,000 or so on the wheels and would get HRE M41.

I am having the wheels painted all silver to match the OEM silver of mercedes

Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
FEAR is infamous around these partsFEAR is infamous around these parts
My friend has them on his vette, he loves em. They may work perfectly, nothign liek nice wheels for minimal money. I doubt id spend big coin on my wife wheels, they just dont appreciate whats involved

Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
How about some 20" Vossen Wheels.

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
The issue with the 20" vossen is that the wheels have a lip. I feel the the lip on the 20" wheel makes the wheels appear to small for the massing of the car. Also the car is white. I only did the 20" because it is a flush spoke and your eye will not stop until the tire, which gives it a larger look. IMO

The 22's are too big for wifey. The 21's only come in the forged series and are expensive.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RobertM
The issue with the 20" vossen is that the wheels have a lip. I feel the the lip on the 20" wheel makes the wheels appear to small for the massing of the car. Also the car is white. I only did the 20" because it is a flush spoke and your eye will not stop until the tire, which gives it a larger look. IMO

The 22's are too big for wifey. The 21's only come in the forged series and are expensive.

I understand 100% what you mean.. Well if HRE is in the budget we can do Monoblocks..

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
I just can't fathom cheap wheels on the flagship MB... maybe get an E class and some real rims...

Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
Those don't look that bad, but will need to see a tire on it and sitting???

Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
I just can't fathom cheap wheels on the flagship MB... maybe get an E class and some real rims...
I have had the following wheel mfgr on various cars:
Racing Dynamics / HRE / Vellano / Zauber / TSW (22" on R class benz) / Milli

I have found that the TSW which is a very very inexpensive wheel was just as good as a HRE in regards to balancing etc. Believe it or not

Remember; as long as you are not concerned with performance; most of the wheels have the technology behind them to be decent wheels. I was looking as the design vs the name recognition (branding).

Lets see what the outcome is prior to judging. We will know more next week once the wheels go on the car and hits the highways.

Even if I break (crack) a wheel or two, there is a huge difference in cost between getting an HRE and the EuroSport (AMG look). You could get 6 wheels replaced for the cost of one - HRE

Again if I hate the wheel, the worst case is it cost less than a $1,000 and I would replace the wheels with a 20" wheel so I will have the tires for the next set.

BUT from what I understand, there should not be an issue. The wheel shop that I get my wheels and tires from sell all types of wheels for all the high end cars (including the vellano's on the ferrari) and they recommended them to me. I have purchased a min. of $40k in wheel and tires from them in the past. I would highly doubt that they would recommend a wheel mfgr to me and risk their reputation.

Especially since this is going on my wifes car. They were the ones that talked me out of 22's and thought 21's would be an issue as well for her.

If I was going to drive the car as my daily driver, I would have installed 21's

more to report next week

Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM
As i step to the pulpit...

Robert,

In a way I can see your point, I was going to say that the wheels you looked at were AMG C63 knock offs but they are just knock offs...

Now this is where I am going to be crucified, but I am a big boy, and will probably hurt some feelings also... but this is MY point of view, you can take it however you want or anyone else for that matter. What I am about to say may change a few perspectives also and at least it opens the eyes for some people... plus I like being a rebel and will call BS on a drop of a dime not caring who you are or how much money you have. I stated that because some here know me and some don't.

So as to move on...

Rims are not a commodity as much as everyone thinks, You have "almost" all these rim manufacturers looking for the cheapest materials, cheapest work force, etc to make a buck and crap QA process.

Rims are one of the most important aspect of a safe driving experience along with the rubber... not to mention the brakes... for you, your occupants, and everyone else out there

I hate to use you as an example, and it isn't an example, it is just a comment that fits your post.

First and foremost, how many of these rims are TUV approved? SAE? or JWL? These are minimum required standards for any vehicle coming off the manufacturing line depending which country you live in. These are BASIC standards and they do this by stress testing the wheels.

Look around at all these sites, internet ******, wheel sites etc... all of them market wheels for looks, and I am not going to start flaming sponsors here so I will cut that short... but I am sure you can and all readers fill in the blanks.

I think the standards are lacking and believe every rim design should meet the basic requirements of SAE/TUV/JWL don't you? I mean after all what are you paying for, just looks? but at the same time compromising unknowingly your safety.

My favorite is when a rim site says it has these great standards, but it can't seem to meet the basic govt standards. Or that they say it is too expensive to certify! If they would short cut that, imagine your rims! It is basic cost of doing business.

Anyways, I am sure I will be back on this topic, I am not going to defend the basic standards either, I did not write them... However, I would ensure that every manufacturer needed to abide by them... And trust me I have had almost every type of rim out there or sold them at one time or another.

as for the TSW - HRE comment, I believe all of HRE meet TUV standards and TSW and their sub companies do not.

It is a peace of mind knowing that I am driving on something that was held to some standard besides someone who thinks they are just going to sell off shore rims that are plagarized.. such as the ones you are looking into.

I am off the pulpit, and yes I held back a lot, but I figure i would save it for some follow ups if push comes to shove.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 PM
A.I.I.Raciing is infamous around these parts
My brother put 20'' HRE's on his 07 and it made the car 1000x's cleaner, its also lowered
Name:  S550-.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  116.4 KB
Name:  S550--.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  149.7 KB
Name:  S550.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  101.9 KB

Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 PM
WOW, I haven't been tar'd and feathered yet??!!??

hey in the pics above, what is up with the hood emblems

Old 08-16-2009, 11:31 AM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by A.I.I.Raciing
My brother put 20'' HRE's on his 07 and it made the car 1000x's cleaner, its also lowered

And whats up with the AMG badges... I hate it when people put those on a NON AMG car...so ghetto.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Tap out emblem and fake AMG...get some window stickers for the trifecta

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 mercedes s550 - need suggestions for wheels size