Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

NEW E63 Tires? Any suggestionsss thanks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 AM
FAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by UMADBRO
+1

Invo's are great for the price and come in a big range of sizes......but if money is no object you can't beat Michelin PS2's (Porsche OEM) or Pirelli P-Zero's (OEM Ferrari)!
I have INVOs, I love them. They're very, very soft, but a fantastic rain tire. That was one of my main concerns, was wet performance living in South Florida. IMO, they are a better rain tire than dry tire (they're so soft that they pick up all the sand and such in the roads down here, when they're wet they get cleaned). They're relatively quiet for a pretty aggressive tire too. Definitely not what I'd consider a touring tire, but a great value in a performance tire.

And everyone gives you crazy looks when they see the tread pattern. The UPS man was shocked, stunned, and confused when he dropped them off. He was like "what the heck kind of tire is THAT?".

If price is no potion, Pirelli makes some fantastic tires, but if you really, really want performance (and don't drive in the rain) Nitto NT05s are basically DOT legal drag radials and absolute monsters. They're super soft, super big, and only have a few rain grooves.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The recent Car & Driver evaluation suggests differently.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

If relying on car&driver is your only resource instead of "real world" first hand driving experience by all means knock yourself out........but I prefer giving advice to people based on things I have experienced myself, not regurgitating articles and somone elses biased reviews and conjecture!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
One of my best friends put Nitto 555's on and has been happy with them thus far.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
If relying on car&driver is your only resource instead of "real world" first hand driving experience by all means knock yourself out........but I prefer giving advice to people based on things I have experienced myself, not regurgitating articles and somone elses biased reviews and conjecture!
Did you even read the article?

Downplaying an article with actual test data from people who drive cars for a living and in some cases racing experience vs. suggesting an OEM tire because it's an OEM tire is silly. And the PS2s were beat, at a lower price.

I haven't done instrumented tire tests and neither have you but I have experienced F1 Supercar, Kumhos and Hankoooks.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
Let me guess, you have a lifetime subscription to Car&Driver? LOL...........The OP wanted tire suggestions, plain and simple! If he didn't want objective opinions and recommendations from fellow forum members he could have just googled tire reviews and went on his way...........but that wasn't the impetus (I'm guessing) for his post; rather he orginated a thread to create dialogue not links to car magazine web sites that he could have just found on his own! Make no mistake, these auto magazines stay in business through advertisement, and to say there isn't biases going one when they test products by manufacturers who also pay for advertising is ridiculous!

Last edited by UMADBRO; 06-07-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Let me guess, you have a lifetime subscription to Car&Driver? LOL...........The OP wanted tire suggestions, plain and simple! If he didn't want objective opinions and recommendations from fellow forum members he could have just googled tire reviews and went on his way...........but that wasn't the impetus (I'm guessing) for his post; rather he orginated a thread to create dialogue not links to car magazine web sites that he could have just found on his own! Make no mistake, these auto magazines stay in business through advertisement, and to say there isn't biases going one when they test products by manufacturers who also pay for advertising is ridiculous!
Did you happen to notice it was with assistance from The Tire Rack AND an independent tester along with control tires?

And did you also notice the two full-page ads were from the same tire manufacturers that finished 6th and 7th out of 9 listed in the test?

I suggest doing a little research before making wild accusations.

Maybe the OP doesn't read the magazines because he has unfounded opinions about them like yourself.

Btw, I subscribe to C&D, R&T, MT & AW.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Btw, I subscribe to C&D, R&T, MT & AW.

of course you do!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM
of course you do!
Yep, it was me. Want to call me that name publicly on here? Please do.