Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Sls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:29 AM
Condor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud of
I posted exactly the same thread on an MB Website a couple of days ago and it has been good to read your comments.

I am surprised that you say it comes up in Champagne as I have never seen a photo that depicts this.

In my attached photos the car doesn't look Champagne at all.

If I don't order this colour I may go with a Matte paint which is on the other side of the scale!! And the Maintenance will be a PIG!

Attached Images     
Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
It absolutely looks more champagne than silver. I see that color all the time at my country club on a CL 65 anniversary edition. I have also seen Alubeam on a SLS. Same thing.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Condor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud of
That sounds terrible.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned
Justin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really nice
We did a build on a 40th Anniversary CL65 that had the same Alu-Beam finish. The color is striking! For someone who's not into cars, they're drawn to it...but they don't know why. For an enthusiast (especially one that can spot AMGs at a distance) the car stands out in a crowd. I've seen it on the road and it's easily recognizable. On a bright, sunny day, you'll need sunglasses to look directly at it (anyone who came to our Mercedes meet probably left with sunburned retinas...LOL). The paint looks like it's alive. It's a silver base with a darker, metallic pewter hue. But the color tends to dance depending on the lighting. I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited by Justin @ CEC; 09-16-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by Justin @ CEC
We did a build on a 40th Anniversary CL65 that had the same Alu-Beam finish. The color is striking! For someone who's not into cars, they're drawn to it...but they don't know why. For an enthusiast (especially one that can spot AMGs at a distance) the car stands out in a crowd. I've seen it on the road and it's easily recognizable. On a bright, sunny day, you'll need sunglasses to look directly at it (anyone who came to our Mercedes meet probably left with sunburned retinas...LOL). The paint looks like it's alive. It's a silver base with a darker, metallic pewter hue. But the color tends to dance depending on the lighting. I would definitely recommend it.

This Makes me DANCE!!

Attached Images   
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Banned
Justin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really nice
Originally Posted by Condor Man
This Makes me DANCE!!
Just make sure you stretch first. We don't need anyone pulling a muscle...

Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 AM
BOBBY L is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by -AW-
Buzz,
i was going back & fourth on the color as well. to answer ur first question, Alu Beam is more champagne shade than silver shade. i was so in love with all the press pics of the Alu Beam until i saw one in the wild. it looks good under showroom lighting. the ''liquid'' affect pops. however, it looks very dull under overcast weather & very champagne. i certainly did not like what i saw, mainly because of the shade. kinda reminds me of Pewter if u know what i mean. it certainly doesn't worth the extra $12,750.00 USD for the paint job imo. however, if it's like the same shade of silver alu interior trim in the new Porsche such as Panamera & Cayenne, i think it will be so cool. too bad it isn't.

i've seen Mystic White, Obsidian Black, Iridium Silver, Alu Beam & Imola Grey. here's my thoughts:

Mystic White - hard to beat white. but Mystic White is too yellowish. almost looks like faded white.

Obsidian Black - people likes black car. i don't . i think it just hides the line of the car.

Irdium Silver - boring silver & very common. same color can be seen everyday on a C300. but i think it's the best color for the car - silver & red interior = true Gullwing combo, yet, it's free!

Alu Beam - cool idea but wrong shade. certainly not worth the $$$. i wish it's the right shade i would so in love with it. too bad.

Imola Grey - very classic in person. boring grey but i love grey (and silver). i like it & would consider it next to Irdium.

would love to see red. all the pics show the red to be beautiful, but i'm not sure the red fits the car well. probably not my color but it sure makes it look even more exotic.

also the 2 matte grey finishes, although i love the shade of Alanite Grey, but the extra care of the paint just won't work for me.

funny there's no pics around for the Daytona Blue...
Nice clip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9AN4aAFJn4

Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
buzz is a jewel in the roughbuzz is a jewel in the roughbuzz is a jewel in the rough
Thank you all for your input, actually the colors provided were a bit
limited, I wanted to specify an SLR color for the SLS but the wait
will be longer than expected, in any case, I have put down the
required payment with the following specs taking into consideration to
stay away from the current car colors I have:

Alubeam silver, Designo light brown leather, full carbon interior,
which includes the Center console and the back of the seats and the door
sills, carbon ceramic brakes, AMG 10 spoke forged wheels, B&O, engine
cover in carbon. I will post pics when the car is delivered. The
attached pics are very similar to the car I ordered.

Thanks again, and will keep my fingers crossed on the color.

Buzz

Attached Images      
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by buzz
Thank you all for your input, actually the colors provided were a bit
limited, I wanted to specify an SLR color for the SLS but the wait
will be longer than expected, in any case, I have put down the
required payment with the following specs taking into consideration to
stay away from the current car colors I have:

Alubeam silver, Designo light brown leather, full carbon interior,
which includes the Center console and the back of the seats and the door
sills, carbon ceramic brakes, AMG 10 spoke forged wheels, B&O, engine
cover in carbon. I will post pics when the car is delivered. The
attached pics are very similar to the car I ordered.

Thanks again, and will keep my fingers crossed on the color.

Buzz
That's a great color combination. The car is going to look fantastic. I was surprised to see how well the carbon fiber worked to contrast the light brown leather. It's a "sweet-n-sour" mixture of luxury and performance. Hats off to you Buzz.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 AM
buzz is a jewel in the roughbuzz is a jewel in the roughbuzz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Justin @ CEC
That's a great color combination. The car is going to look fantastic. I was surprised to see how well the carbon fiber worked to contrast the light brown leather. It's a "sweet-n-sour" mixture of luxury and performance. Hats off to you Buzz.
Thanks Justin. Note also the color of the Ceramic Brake Calipers...works very well with the interior leather specified. Actually, I was surprised that AMG offered it in this color, it reminds me of the color of the Subaru WRX STI calipers....

Buzz

Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by buzz
Thanks Justin. Note also the color of the Ceramic Brake Calipers...works very well with the interior leather specified. Actually, I was surprised that AMG offered it in this color, it reminds me of the color of the Subaru WRX STI calipers....

Buzz
You're right. I'm glad they went with the gold/bronze caliper color for their ceramic option. It helps them stand out. Yellow is a great color on a Ferrari, but it's a little too loud for the gullwing.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
roadtalontsi is infamous around these partsroadtalontsi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by -AW-
B&O ''look'' cool. i'm not a sound person so i probably can't appreciate the price difference, but it looks so cool that i want it.

as far as carbon interior goes, my friend thought the silver trim looks cheap in the pics until i told him the center console is actually carved from a single piece of aluminum, not some cheap plastic painted piece. it feels solid & different. i think it's more ''special'' in a way than carbon, which is just a regular cf wrap job. gotta see it in person.
ya the tweeters and rear decklid subs look cool cant lie. The aluminum is one peice and rather heavy to pick up. I havent had a c/f one out so im not sure if its just a regular wrap job or not. Even the vents are solid aluminum not plastic garbage. The quality is alot more bentley/rolls style compared to the usual benz interiors. shame the wing goes down automatically after you drop below 40mph even if you raise it up manually, have to keep putting it up. Looks awesome though.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
ya the tweeters and rear decklid subs look cool cant lie. The aluminum is one peice and rather heavy to pick up. I havent had a c/f one out so im not sure if its just a regular wrap job or not. Even the vents are solid aluminum not plastic garbage. The quality is alot more bentley/rolls style compared to the usual benz interiors. shame the wing goes down automatically after you drop below 40mph even if you raise it up manually, have to keep putting it up. Looks awesome though.
Here's both consoles out of the car, I can't tell whether the carbon console is a wrap or not...but the aluminum console and the carbon drive shaft is as real as it gets.

Buzz

Attached Images