Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Are replica wheels a mistake for E63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:02 AM
GBG
GBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the rough
Are replica wheels a mistake for E63?

Hey Guys,

I want to put 19s on my '07 E63 (stock=18s). Nothing too aggressive. Thinking about two rims-- both are replicas. Any experience with either of these two companies? Does higher price mean better quality in the replica market? Also, which do you like better for an E63?

http://www.oemwheelsplus.com/mb/19-wheels/mb512-19-silver-staggered-wheels-set.html

http://www.mercedesbenzwheel.com/c-class-w202-9/mercedes-19-inch-gunmetal-wheels-type-526-gmt-478.html

Thanks. GBG

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-29-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor sites
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM
GBG
GBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the rough
Decided that my E63 deserved better so splurged for these OZs

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

GBG

Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to behold
Your MB would look great with a set of BBS wheels!

Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
tgoss is a jewel in the roughtgoss is a jewel in the roughtgoss is a jewel in the roughtgoss is a jewel in the rough
Get a chance to take some pics?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM
FEAR is infamous around these partsFEAR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by modbargains ii
your mb would look great with a set of bbs wheels!

uhh no!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
ModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GBG
Hey Guys,

I want to put 19s on my '07 E63 (stock=18s). Nothing too aggressive. Thinking about two rims-- both are replicas. Any experience with either of these two companies? Does higher price mean better quality in the replica market? Also, which do you like better for an E63?

http://www.oemwheelsplus.com/mb/19-wheels/mb512-19-silver-staggered-wheels-set.html

http://www.mercedesbenzwheel.com/c-c...6-gmt-478.html

Thanks. GBG

Though not enforced, there are quality standards to govern the production of wheels. Some countries though, like Germany and Japan, have government regulations requiring aftermarket wheels to meet certain criteria and ensure proper fit. The United States has taken steps to establish guidelines but it will be some time before they can enact regulation of any kind. Consequently, all wheels are not made the same. The performance of an alloy wheel is a direct result of the manufacturing technique employed.

GRAVITY CASTING (The two listings you've mentioned)
Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth's gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

LOW PRESSURE CASTING:
Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more dense) over a gravity cast wheel. Low-pressure casting has a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting. Low pressure is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Low-pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket as well. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure. Once again in the quest for lighter weight, there is a higher cost associated with the process. Take into consideration also that all of the wheels that come standard from most car manufactures straight from the factory are Low-pressure cast at a minimum.

By looking at the two links, it does appear that you're more interested in an OEM AMG style wheel. I would recommend that you check out the Avant Garde M328 or M333 both of which are Low-pressure cast wheels. I'll shoot you a PM with more details. In the meantime, here are a few pictures for you to check out!

- Alan

Avant Garde M328:

Avant Garde M333:

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 10-11-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM
1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !1BADBURB Is a GOD !
I have 19's on my E63. the ride is noticeable harsher then the stocker 18's. I have two piece light wieght rims as well, but the 30 series tires make the ride harsh.

i'll also note, replicas are usually heavy as hell and not as strong as REAL wheels. I would highly suggest finding some used wheels that are quality. You'll be much happier in the end with a nicer setup.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:50 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
nice choice on OZ