Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Picked up a SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor
James@ACGAutomotive is infamous around these parts
Congrats! Enjoy her in good health

Old 10-23-2010, 09:33 PM
roadtalontsi is infamous around these partsroadtalontsi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I remember quoting a brake job a while back for a CLS55 with 030(?) ceramic brake option. The front rotors alone were 1K a piece.
maybe for front and rear pads and rotors. no ceramic brake option for cls55. the front rotors are 1 peice and about $100 each for fronts, which is pretty cheap for the price/size/thickness but they are heavy. the pads can get a little pricey ballpark of 2-300$. Then add the fact that its sbc and you should deactivate the system etc...

In my experience the amg rotors tend to last alot longer then the regular cars. typically 50-60kmiles. Where as the regulars can wear out in 30k if the driver is crazy enough. Just because its grooved or lipped doesnt mean there bad just wearing. unfortunately you cant turn them or resurface. As long as they are still in thickness spec and not squealing there *** off they are good.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:17 PM
allenjdmb is infamous around these parts
Re: rotors....

I agree that the AMG rotors last longer than most. My wrench seems to think it's because in the USA they are "taxed" less than they are in Europe.
Whatever, I have experienced excellent life out of these things. Also, my wrench (a German who is quite knowledgable about these cars), has been very lightly machiining that lip off of these things and putting them back on. Not so sure I could do that, but...
What I'm really wondering is how an 05 SL can be CPO. I suppose there were a lot of these cars that sat before delivery. In any event, good find.....

r

Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
jpohl402 is infamous around these partsjpohl402 is infamous around these parts
Good choice - great car

Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 PM
roadtalontsi is infamous around these partsroadtalontsi is infamous around these parts
yes, alot of cars sat around not to mention they can cpo for 3years and that starts when the car is bought. Well worth the investment too.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DFW911T
Join the MB Club of America for $45 and most dealers give a 20% parts discount.
Makes the rotors downright affordable.
Go to www.parts.com or call them. I got up to 40% off on stock Mercedes parts when I ordered my SL facelight parts. They are a mercedes dealer in Chicago. Great people and great prices.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Good to know.
Right now I'm troubleshooting high IATs. Probably the pump.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
r2b2007 is infamous around these parts
Its a great car and should last forever, congrats...

Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Well pump is bad so I'm going with a Meziere to replace it. I know the Johnson pump is a popular replacement but I decided to go this route due to the racing pedigree Meziere has, and it's US made! In that process I've discovered that the bumper cover has a repair on it, like someone pulled out of a driveway and tore the bottom out. On top of that, the plastic filler 'frames' behind the bumper for stiffening have been trimmed. It almost looks like they were for a non-foglight model SL and then someone sloppily cut holes out for them. The passenger side isn't so bad since there is a duct next to the foglight leading to a heat exchanger, but the driver's side haas a big gaping hole. So I bought a replacement for that side from the dealer ($111) and will replace that while it's apart.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
The stock bosch pumps were intermittent, nice move to upgrade. I run 2 pumps. Enjoy the torque

Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Got the pump in. Bleeding the air is taking some time. I had to bleed it at the pump as well as the top. I still hear a bit of gurgling but my IATs are about 60 degrees cooler just sitting at idle. I'll keep checking it after each heat cycle.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Jroc is infamous around these partsJroc is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the pickup, love the 65 motors. As soon as you're finish freshening her up, hopefully she'll be trouble free.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
nice used car. an all around great car

Old 11-06-2010, 07:11 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't it make you wonder why you already have these issues when they just certified it?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:58 PM
ASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the roughASHRAF is a jewel in the rough
sick car, a friend of mine was having trouble with the bosch pump too, glad you are upgrading this

great car overall, congrats again!

-AJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picked up a SL65