Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

2012 G55 changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:36 PM
twist-a-grip is infamous around these partstwist-a-grip is infamous around these parts
2012 G55 changes

I am looking at buying a new G55 next spring and have done proper research and driven one. I've read on 6speed and other forums that MY2012 will have some significant changes, but I have not found confirmation of the specific changes, just rumor and speculation. I don't want a 2011 if the 2012 is worth the wait. Word is, the front end will change a little to get up to speed on new Euro pedestrian safety rules. I honestly don't believe this will materially change, because that is the allure of the G55 - that it looks old school and hasn't changed much. Therefore, I'm mostly interested in details regarding the upgrade to MB's new 5.5L TT that will have 540-570hp and a 7 speed. Does anyone have confirmation as to whether or not this motor change is going to happen? The dealers I've talked have no idea about changes and wouldn't tell me if they did because they have 2010s and 11s to sell (why do we always know more about cars than salesmen-drives me crazy).

Last edited by twist-a-grip; 01-19-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Yes I heard of significant upgrades too. They're putting in a redesigned steering wheel.......

Seriously, I wouldn't expect anything "significant" with the G until it experiences a Land Rover Defender event: They'll keep selling it until they're forced not too (Land Rover, if you remember refused to install airbags - and is still sold elsewhere without them).

It wasn't long ago when MB was going to euthanize the G but decided to keep it around because of 1.) the fans 2.) it was relatively cheap since it has evolved less than a 911.

Once "significant" upgrades come into the equation, the business case becomes less sustainable, despite what the admirers say. On the same principle, I would not expect to switch from the classic supercharged 5.5 to the new turbocharged 5.5. Historically the defense of maintaining the 5.5 SC vs the push to the 6.2 was the better towing capacity of the SC. Since the G550/ G55 can no longer tow, it would be a reasonable argument for the new engine. However I fall back to my original argument: $$$$

Sorry to be a buzzkill. I'm a fan of the G55 but the only significant news will be when it's officially killed. IMO.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 PM
twist-a-grip is infamous around these partstwist-a-grip is infamous around these parts
Old 11-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Caviarhound is infamous around these parts
the G55 is second on to the Cayenne Turbo! So if that's your cup of tea.. then yes the new changes are for you. For me, its a tough call. My wife and I decided that next year is my year! She has her Azure and its time for me to find my two cars... I"m torn between many. The G55 and SLS/CLK63 rank among the top! But right now the Bentley Supersports and a pre owned truck is up there! Let me know what you choose!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Caviarhound
the G55 is second on to the Cayenne Turbo! So if that's your cup of tea.. then yes the new changes are for you. For me, its a tough call. My wife and I decided that next year is my year! She has her Azure and its time for me to find my two cars... I"m torn between many. The G55 and SLS/CLK63 rank among the top! But right now the Bentley Supersports and a pre owned truck is up there! Let me know what you choose!
What?????

Looking for details on 2012 G55 changes, not what cars you think you want to buy next year.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 PM
torment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by twist-a-grip
what?????

Looking for details on 2012 g55 changes, not what cars you think you want to buy next year.
lol!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM
factoryKITTED is infamous around these parts
Buy a CPO 10 or even 09 and save yourself a few bucks. I have a 06 G55 and it is fantastic. Each year newer recieves very minor tweaks which anyone can live with.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 PM
roadtalontsi is infamous around these partsroadtalontsi is infamous around these parts
a g55 is nothing like a cayenne turbo. Unless they started using those as military vehicles, last time i checked there made out of plastic.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
a g55 is nothing like a cayenne turbo. Unless they started using those as military vehicles, last time i checked there made out of plastic.
Yeah I agree 2 million %. It's the same car is was 30 years ago except with an S-class interior and more power.

I have a G550 and have been considering a swap to another vehicle, but nothing else really compares. I took my G550 on the most extreme off-road trail I know of in CO and it performed amazingly well on 22" rims with Z-rated tires.

I have a fully built 77 Ford short box pickup and that did better, but it's fully built.And on the highway, the G is still pretty good. The high speed braking is the only thing I don't like. It starts to go side to side and wobble.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
PCH
PCH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by twist-a-grip
What?????

Looking for details on 2012 G55 changes, not what cars you think you want to buy next year.
I don't believe anything was made public yet. You'll probably hear something first on www.mbworld.org

Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I took my G550 on the most extreme off-road trail I know of in CO and it performed amazingly well on 22" rims with Z-rated tires.
yeah right. pics or BS.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:25 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by -AW-
yeah right. pics or BS.
Uh, yeah, agree........

Either you are stupid rich or don't know what off-roading is. The cheapest 22" wheels are not cheap, low profile + "serious off-roading"?

Unless you were trying to destroy your 22" rims, I call BS too......

Old 12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by -AW-
yeah right. pics or BS.
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Uh, yeah, agree........

Either you are stupid rich or don't know what off-roading is. The cheapest 22" wheels are not cheap, low profile + "serious off-roading"?

Unless you were trying to destroy your 22" rims, I call BS too......
You guys have no idea who you're talking to. Go big or go home. Are 911 owners (I have one too) stupid for taking their $100k+ car to the track? No, that's what they're built for. The G is built for serious off-road.

I almost flipped it twice on one trail. At one point it rocked back and forth with the right front and left rear going 2-3 ft up then down with only two wheels on the ground. If it had settled on the right front, it probably would've flipped, but I powered out of it. The angle was so severe I managed to scrape the right rear corner of the bumper on the ground because I was looking up at the sky.

Here's a map of the area. I went down every one of the roads that dead ends at the South Platte river (scroll up and down the map). One of them is a purpose-built trail by a 4x4 club rated "extremely difficult."
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.077162&z=14

I also have a fully built 77 Ford F150 short box for off-roading with just about everything you can imagine, but I bought the G to use for what it's made for. I grew up on a farm and have driven off-road since I was 12 (over 20 years). There is no reason you can't take a 22" rim off-road with Z-rated tires on a rocky, dry trail. I did split the sidewall on one tire a mile from the highway after doing 50 miles of off-road. Here's a couple of pics at the top of one trail. I went down to the very bottom you can see in quite a few places.

I only have 22" rims on it because that's what the dealer sold it with. I'll be getting a set of 17" wheels with big knobbies for next summer's excursions.

If you like, I can take pictures of the dents in the front skid plate and the chunks of rock still stuck in the edges of the front diff cover from getting hung up on a rock. Oh and the broken right rear corner of my bumper. There's no photos on the hard parts of the trails because you need to drive and concentrate. No time to get out for pictures.

Attached Images   
Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
You guys have no idea who you're talking to. Go big or go home. Are 911 owners (I have one too) stupid for taking their $100k+ car to the track? No, that's what they're built for. The G is built for serious off-road.

I almost flipped it twice on one trail. At one point it rocked back and forth with the right front and left rear going 2-3 ft up then down with only two wheels on the ground. If it had settled on the right front, it probably would've flipped, but I powered out of it. The angle was so severe I managed to scrape the right rear corner of the bumper on the ground because I was looking up at the sky.

Here's a map of the area. I went down every one of the roads that dead ends at the South Platte river (scroll up and down the map). One of them is a purpose-built trail by a 4x4 club rated "extremely difficult."
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.077162&z=14

I also have a fully built 77 Ford F150 short box for off-roading with just about everything you can imagine, but I bought the G to use for what it's made for. I grew up on a farm and have driven off-road since I was 12 (over 20 years). There is no reason you can't take a 22" rim off-road with Z-rated tires on a rocky, dry trail. I did split the sidewall on one tire a mile from the highway after doing 50 miles of off-road. Here's a couple of pics at the top of one trail. I went down to the very bottom you can see in quite a few places.

I only have 22" rims on it because that's what the dealer sold it with. I'll be getting a set of 17" wheels with big knobbies for next summer's excursions.

If you like, I can take pictures of the dents in the front skid plate and the chunks of rock still stuck in the edges of the front diff cover from getting hung up on a rock. Oh and the broken right rear corner of my bumper. There's no photos on the hard parts of the trails because you need to drive and concentrate. No time to get out for pictures.
Nice to hear that someone out there is not using this capable vehicle as a street queen

Old 12-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
I really like the exterior of the G-wagon but why do they hang on to that horrible interior? I get that they don't want to change the styling a lot, but it feels a bit strange to be transported back to the 1980's when sitting down in a brand new $120k Mercedes..

If they would modernize the interior it would definately be my favourite suv.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 G55 changes