Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

G55 AMG Owners - Need insight.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Owens23 is infamous around these parts
G55 AMG Owners - Need insight.

The wife wants one for a daily, from what I've seen they're nice vehicles. I havn't driven one before but she drove one and fell in love with it - at first we looked into a Range Rover Supercharged but she said she enjoys the MB much more. It would be her daily. However I'm sure the key may fall in my pocket on some days. If anyone owns one now or has before what was it like? Pros? Cons?

Just want to hear from current or previous owners so we both can heed the information.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
VTGT is infamous around these parts
Curious to hear some opinions as well.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Its a love it or hate it vehicle. I personally love it and hate it! I have toyed with buying one like 8 times. I have driven it so many times and it is very fun and quirky. At the end of the day it has a lot of older tech to it. And simple things on it will be quirky, but that is also what makes it fun. My wife has owned 3 Range Rovers and the only other SUV she loves is the G55, but we never seem to buy one. I was so close to getting one as my winter car a few months back, but then I didnt due to the lack of crash test ratings. I would buy a car that isnt crash rated BUT... Then I investigated it some more and realized they do not have crumple zones in these cars. Not a deal breaker for most, but since the whole impact could be sent through the rigid vehicle and I would be using it to transport my daughter safely, I went with a 11 cayenne instead.
Anyway, besides being quirky its got some serious style and heritage. The look stuns everyone that sees it! Good luck with the decision. I know you were asking owners but I felt compelled to answer because the situation is so much similar to ours.
Pros- sound, style, engine, driving feel, fun, power
Cons-Quirky (like the nav screen/backup cam so low in car, Ive yet to see on the of the rear cargo covers work, I couldnt get the seats to fold down and neither could the salesperson-but thats not saying much...haha).
Overall I say its awesome. Post pics if you get one. They are fun and never go out of style.
D

Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM
twist-a-grip is infamous around these partstwist-a-grip is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche119
Its a love it or hate it vehicle. I personally love it and hate it! I have toyed with buying one like 8 times. I have driven it so many times and it is very fun and quirky. At the end of the day it has a lot of older tech to it. And simple things on it will be quirky, but that is also what makes it fun. My wife has owned 3 Range Rovers and the only other SUV she loves is the G55, but we never seem to buy one. I was so close to getting one as my winter car a few months back, but then I didnt due to the lack of crash test ratings. I would buy a car that isnt crash rated BUT... Then I investigated it some more and realized they do not have crumple zones in these cars. Not a deal breaker for most, but since the whole impact could be sent through the rigid vehicle and I would be using it to transport my daughter safely, I went with a 11 cayenne instead.
Anyway, besides being quirky its got some serious style and heritage. The look stuns everyone that sees it! Good luck with the decision. I know you were asking owners but I felt compelled to answer because the situation is so much similar to ours.
Pros- sound, style, engine, driving feel, fun, power
Cons-Quirky (like the nav screen/backup cam so low in car, Ive yet to see on the of the rear cargo covers work, I couldnt get the seats to fold down and neither could the salesperson-but thats not saying much...haha).
Overall I say its awesome. Post pics if you get one. They are fun and never go out of style.
D

I've been planning on getting a new G55 around xmas after thorough research and test driving. I haven't seen any safety concerns until this post. In fact, most compliment how it's built like a bank vault. I did some quick research this morning regarding G55 safety and it appears to have all the safety features a 2011 car should - couldn't find anything about the lack of crumple zones, but I'll believe you. Are you concerned only about infant/kid or adult safety as well? I have a sugarmomma who will be driving the G55 50% of the time and I don't want to send her to work in a coffin every other day. A portion of why I spend a lot on cars is the expected safety features a $100k car should have. Any more details are appreciated.

To the OP - It's not going to have the practicality or sportiness or comfort or luxury or tech of a Cayenne, but when you drive it, the smile on your face and the exclusivity of the G55 makes it worth it in my book. That being said, I'm also planning to get a Panamera TT, as I would not want a G55 as my only luxury car. I don't understand how the G55 haters spent $100k+ on a car that hasn't had a significant change (other than engine) for 30 years and complain that it's outdated and stiff. If they didn't figure that out after the first 2 minutes on the test drive, they ain't too bright. I suspect they weren't paying attention to the ride quality because they were giggling about the mindboggling power and sound.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 PM
ET550 is infamous around these parts
I Have owned a 2003 G500 since new which my wife uses as a daiy driver. I am posting mainly to address the safety concerns that were raised. Trust me, I have had the unfortunate experience of being on the wrong end of more than one accident in the G500 and I can tell you that I was glad to be in the G500. In one instance we were rearended by a vehicle on a highway while stopped in traffc and in another a vehicle exited a driveway without looking into our path. In both cases the other vehicle was pratically totaled and had to be towed from the scene while the G500 looked like it had hardly been touched and was driven safely away without need of any significant repair. The police at the scene in both instances were amazed at the relative condition of the vehicles. While I understand the concept of crumple zones, there is something to be said for the tank.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
ET550, I just saw your reply and I am in agreement with it being a tank and also having the upper hand in a battle with another car. What I mean is, the G would have distributed all of the shock to the car with the crumple zones. BUT if the G were to be in an accident with a brick wall, metal poll, or tough guardrail (any stationary object without crumple zones) it would be worse than being in a car with crumple zones. That is my point. ALL of the impact would be distributed through the G chassis. Better in some cases and worse in others. Don't get me wrong, I love this thing... and 99.99% of the time it probably wouldn't be an issue, when I was shopping I had my daughter in mind and since Im a worrier with OCD I didn't want to take the chance of hitting a stationary object and putting it to the test...no accidents...just saying. With that said, if it were me by myself all the time and I really wanted a G, I might change my mind.
D
By the way I read all this information online somewhere when I was searching for a G. I would source it but I forget where I read it. It was on a bunch of sites that I gathered all my information after many searches online.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 AM
spooling is infamous around these parts
Do you think I can find one in the mid 50k's

Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Owens23 is infamous around these parts
Wow - I really appreciate the detailed input guys. I am wanting an '11 Cayenne to keep the 911 company ha. We should be going to check one out together sometime this month.