Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

MCT shifting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
MCT shifting?

What do you guys think of the MCT gear box?

I'm a little confused with MB's explanation. Is it the same as Porsche's PDK and BMW's dual clutch boxes?

I'm most interested how it shifts in manual mode.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 09:41 AM
FadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of light
If you're talking about the gearbox in the C63 then it's an automatic with a wet clutch instead of a torque converter. If you're talking about the gearbox in the SLS, then it's a double clutch, but as reviewers point out, not as good as the Ferrari gearbox (California one).

Old 03-03-2012, 12:54 PM
I was referring to the MCT 7 speed in the C, CL, SL, E63s.

Just interested to see how people like them as opposed to the dual clutch found in the M3.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 AM
FadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of light
Automatic, wet-clutch instead of a torque converter.
It shifts fast, but not as fast as the DCT in the M3, obviously.
If it helps in any way, I haven't heard anything bad about the gearbox. Reviewers like it over the previous gearbox in the C63.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 AM
carlsturm is infamous around these parts
why would MCT be slower than the DCT in M3 ?

I had SMG in my M5. Shifts were amazingly fast. SMG is slower and less smooth than DCT and I assume slower than MCT. I never used mine in 'automatic' mode. Overall I like this technology but appreciate a 3rd pedal manual when launching from dead-stop.

Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
Automatic, wet-clutch instead of a torque converter.
It shifts fast, but not as fast as the DCT in the M3, obviously.
If it helps in any way, I haven't heard anything bad about the gearbox. Reviewers like it over the previous gearbox in the C63.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM
MCT in the C63 is slower compared to the DCT simply because it's an automatic. And it is slower.
EVO compared the true dual clutch in the SLS to the one in the California and they said it's not as good. That gearbox in faster than the automatic, wet clutch in the C63.
The BMW DCT and Porsche PDK are the best DSG/DCG in the world so far in terms of responsiveness and speed of gear change. I don't know anything about Ferrari, but I assume they're as good as Porsche or BMW.
I am not saying the gearbox in the C63, which is an automatic still, is not good; it's a great automatic, but it's not a DCT/PDK/DSG gearbox.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. I don't understand why Mercedes won't give in and just put a real dual clutch box in all its AMGs. Especially the Black Series cars. I really like the C63 coupe but I'm leaning toward the M3 because of the gear box. I drove a Cayman R with PDK and am totally hooked on this double clutch business. I'm as diehard a manual shifter as anyone, and can heel-and-toe with the best of them (I raced in SCCA from 85 - 93), but the silky smooth shifts I got out of that PDK box while driving very aggressively are not close to what I could accomplish with a stick. I can carry way more speed into a turn, clicking down two or three gears while braking, that a stick just doesn't allow simply because of the time it takes to shift. I'm totally in love with the dual clutch technology. There are tons of guys who will disagree with me citing "driver involvement," but in my opinion, if you want to go fast, fast, then taking heels, toes, and arms out of the equation makes total sense. I never had the hairs stand up on the back of my neck driving a stick the way I did with the PDK. My only hesitation with the M3 is that it lacks the torque of the C63 (in case you're wondering why I just don't get the Cayman it's because I need the back seat, and the one in the 911 is too small - plus, both cars are underpowered). I guess I'm going to have to find a way to test drive both cars back to back to see if I agree with Jeremy Clarkson and go for the M3. Ughhhh... I just love the look of the new MB though. Why do they have to make this choice so difficult?

Last edited by John Romano; 03-04-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
DarthC63 is infamous around these parts
I have both, 2012 C63 and 2011 E92 M, and I will say that the DCT on the M shifts noticeably faster, but the C63 is no slouch. the MTC is quite of an improvement even over the CLS63 BS. I have not driven the PDK, so I cannot comment on it, but I hear the new 991 PDK is great.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John Romano
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. I don't understand why Mercedes won't give in and just put a real dual clutch box in all its AMGs. Especially the Black Series cars. I really like the C63 coupe but I'm leaning toward the M3 because of the gear box. I drove a Cayman R with PDK and am totally hooked on this double clutch business. I'm as diehard a manual shifter as anyone, and can heel-and-toe with the best of them (I raced in SCCA from 85 - 93), but the silky smooth shifts I got out of that PDK box while driving very aggressively are not close to what I could accomplish with a stick. I can carry way more speed into a turn, clicking down two or three gears while braking, that a stick just doesn't allow simply because of the time it takes to shift. I'm totally in love with the dual clutch technology. There are tons of guys who will disagree with me citing "driver involvement," but in my opinion, if you want to go fast, fast, then taking heels, toes, and arms out of the equation makes total sense. I never had the hairs stand up on the back of my neck driving a stick the way I did with the PDK. My only hesitation with the M3 is that it lacks the torque of the C63 (in case you're wondering why I just don't get the Cayman it's because I need the back seat, and the one in the 911 is too small - plus, both cars are underpowered). I guess I'm going to have to find a way to test drive both cars back to back to see if I agree with Jeremy Clarkson and go for the M3. Ughhhh... I just love the look of the new MB though. Why do they have to make this choice so difficult?
My thoughts. As much as how many vehicles come in AT from MB (including many performance vehicles), their transmission should be one of top notches. However, it is not. Nonetheless, the new C coupe is a winner. Can't comment how "slow" C transmission is but M3 is getting old.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM
ENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the rough
MCT is more comparable to SMG transmission

DCT/PDK are true dual clutches. Id imagine Benz made the MCT less clumky than the SMG but I dont know for sure.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
i can only comment on the m3 transmission, but agree that the dual clutch is an amazing feat of technology...and i came from the hardcore 'have to have a third pedal' camp before my m3...as for the m3's lack of torque, it is a bit of an issue but it just forces you to take full use of the dual clutch tranny all the more! good luck in your decision, there are no bad choices among the cars you are considering.