Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

S63 AMG - reliability & pricing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:47 PM
feeltherush is infamous around these partsfeeltherush is infamous around these parts
S63 AMG - reliability & pricing

Question for you knowledgeable fellows -

I'm considering getting a 2014 s63 amg and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before pulling the trigger. I already have a panamera turbo, and I test drove the s63 and it's pretty close in terms of fun torque...

So -

1) I'm seeing prices for used 2013 s63 amgs with pretty good options for mid $75-80. When do the 2014's drop to that price range? December? Next summer? When the my 2017 comes out?

2) How much do these cars cost to maintain in terms of repairs? I'm aiming to get about 3 yrs factory warranty and hopefully 3 more extended. Assuming 15k miles per year, when warranty ends the car will be at 7*15 = 105K miles and 7 years old. What would the average repair budget be at that point? Is this a car you can keep until the wheels fall off (assuming I budget a few grand a year for repairs)?

Thanks so much. I'm excited about this car!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:32 AM
ringtaxi is infamous around these parts
Most items that will fail will be covered by existing or extended warranty. Extended service contracts are also available for many makes and models so at least look into the price. This way you have the dealer service the vehicle with original parts by people who work on them daily. Barring other variables (roads, weather, garaged, driving habits) parts for most foreign (German/Italian) vehicles are more expensive compared to Japanese/American. It is always a good idea to keep good relations with a good private mechanic, with their own shop. Look for references for known mechanics in your area on this board or similar, for perspective. Avoid based on just the banner (foreign cars welcome). A good mechanic will not only have the technical know how but avoid parts you do not need, and or will do a better job preventing things from happening before they become expensive. Many cars are going to forced induction and the best friend for any engine especially a forced induction is a good quality synthetic oil. Do not go to quick lube type places as their quality of filters are not on par and the oil they use may not be as well. It will cost a little extra but well worth it in the long run. Lastly many newer cars have a lot of electronics so depending on function, it will be costly to repair/replace once out of warranty. Difficult to project but say an extra 15% on top of the reserves you already plan to put aside for repairs. Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.