Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Mercedes AMG R230 SL55 P30

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 07:30 PM
VRV000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Beta Steve
Apparently I’m on probation as for a few weeks now my responses have ‘been under review’ as well. Occasionally they refuse due to words they don’t approve of, but won’t supply a list, forcing me to substitute words for ones that might be objectionable. If I have the patience to continue at all. Last night I was just sharing some general details on why the wheels are so rare, without getting too specific and giving away hard earned info. I wasn’t very complimentary on the newbies that ask either uneducated, already answered or absolutely irrelevant questions who’ve obviously never read the rules. Also wanted to shoot down the silly ‘wrong faucets’ analogy by stating some of us believe the the R230 platform SL65 and P30 optioned SL55 cars were due a sizeable increase in value. When that happens, the correct wheels will only become more rare and valuable as they’ll become a must have for the top value cars.
Its really too bad none of the online auction competitors seem to have any traction in the BaT wake, as a serious alternative is needed.
Your point about newbies reminds me of all the Porsche auctions, where someone always asks for a DME report, especially for cars with a PDK transmission (which come with a rev limiter). And its particularly funny when you put it into context and figure out how many ignitions there are at 6,000 RPM. But I digress... The 'wrong faucets' analogy is just plain stupid. Totally agree with you that the P30 and SL65 wheels are unique and add a lot of value to the car. Anyone that sells or trades them for something else, no matter how appealing, will come to regret it.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:33 AM
Beta Steve is infamous around these parts
Long wait on the last part needed for my build is over! Manufacturer came highly recommended so I waited over three months for their next batch of intercooler reservour tanks to be powder coated. Monday morning quarterbacking I should have just asked them to send one bare as my (somewhat) local source takes about two weeks… Other projects have since taken center stage in my little garage, package hasn’t even been opened yet, after viewing if it’s as nice as hoped I’ll name the manufacturing company. Meanwhile here’s the new addition:

‘96 Targa on it’s way home and after it’s first wash. Sweet and solid little car, over $20k in maintenance (super easy to spend) in the last 1.5 years, including a Steve Weiner Rennsport top end. Which might as well be Greek for those who don’t speak air cooled…

Old 06-07-2022, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Beta Steve
Long wait on the last part needed for my build is over! Manufacturer came highly recommended so I waited over three months for their next batch of intercooler reservour tanks to be powder coated. Monday morning quarterbacking I should have just asked them to send one bare as my (somewhat) local source takes about two weeks… Other projects have since taken center stage in my little garage, package hasn’t even been opened yet, after viewing if it’s as nice as hoped I’ll name the manufacturing company. Meanwhile here’s the new addition:

‘96 Targa on it’s way home and after it’s first wash. Sweet and solid little car, over $20k in maintenance (super easy to spend) in the last 1.5 years, including a Steve Weiner Rennsport top end. Which might as well be Greek for those who don’t speak air cooled…
Congrats, Steve. You must have lots of available garage space- I am envious! That's a cool looking Targa! There is a company in Spain called Kreinzel (www.kreinzel.com/) that builds 'old style' 993 Targas with the stainless steel hoop, curved rear window and removable panels. I am guessing it is a pretty pricey conversion...

Old 06-07-2022, 08:57 PM
I’ve seen those… to me they look just as out of place as 285/30R19 tires look on a restomod ‘60s Mustang or Camaro. Spent 90 minutes after work today, tedious minor cutting, filing and repositioning in an already crowded under hood and crash bar area to fit even more stuff in, on and under the existing parts.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:41 PM
Just Curious is infamous around these parts
Questions

Herman-
I have an 08. I think it's a P30 from the grill is there any other way to tell? Lost heater in the drivers seat any ideas on that? Shop says find a new seat and but it that seems unlikely! Thanks

Old 07-12-2022, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Just Curious
Herman-
I have an 08. I think it's a P30 from the grill is there any other way to tell? Lost heater in the drivers seat any ideas on that? Shop says find a new seat and but it that seems unlikely! Thanks
There is no difference to the grill itself, but the lower fascia is different. It is the same as the SL65 with the round (versus oval) fog lights and side air vents. The front brakes look different and the wheels should be twin spokes (vs single spoke) unless they are aftermarket. The other way to tell- take it out on the highway, floor it and see if the engine cuts out when you hit 155, or if the speed keeps rising... (P30s are derestricted to 186 mph). Shoot me the last 6 digits of your VIN and I can send you a copy of the build sheet.

Old 07-12-2022, 02:04 PM
Just Curious is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VRV000
There is no difference to the grill itself, but the lower fascia is different. It is the same as the SL65 with the round (versus oval) fog lights and side air vents. The front brakes look different and the wheels should be twin spokes (vs single spoke) unless they are aftermarket. The other way to tell- take it out on the highway, floor it and see if the engine cuts out when you hit 155, or if the speed keeps rising... (P30s are derestricted to 186 mph). Shoot me the last 6 digits of your VIN and I can send you a copy of the build sheet.
Yesssss that is on way to test it! I'm pretty sure I won't be doing that! I usually just see how quickly it gets up to legal speed, only thing faster is a Tesla! Do you have an email address to send the VIN to? I'm interesting in knowing but not sure it's a great idea to post on a public forum. Thanks

Old 07-12-2022, 07:20 PM
Yesssss that is on way to test it! I'm pretty sure I won't be doing that! I usually just see how quickly it gets up to legal speed, only thing faster is a Tesla! Do you have an email address to send the VIN to? I'm interesting in knowing but not sure it's a great idea to post on a public forum. Thanks
Sure- my screen name at yahoo. Or you can PM me here. BTW- no need for a full VIN. I can figure it out if I have the last 6 digits.

Funny story- not long after I got my first SL55 (an '03), I decided to floor it on an empty freeway. The car took off like a missile and kept accelerating and accelerating, and then suddenly- silence! My first thought- I just blew up my new car! Foot off the gas and then the engine restarts and we’re off again like nothing happened. The ’03 model didn’t have a redline marked on the tachometer, so the only way to know you had reached max revs was when the cutout switch cut in.

Old 07-14-2022, 03:44 PM
mythos0512 is infamous around these parts
Funny story- not long after I got my first SL55 (an '03), I decided to floor it on an empty freeway. The car took off like a missile and kept accelerating and accelerating, and then suddenly- silence! My first thought- I just blew up my new car! Foot off the gas and then the engine restarts and we’re off again like nothing happened. The ’03 model didn’t have a redline marked on the tachometer, so the only way to know you had reached max revs was when the cutout switch cut in.

That is funny! That would've freaked me out for a moment.

Not sure if you're trying to keep an active list, but, I was just on Copart and there's an SL55 in Vegas that's up, not much left of it (complete burn) but it looks like it has the correct wheels for a P30. Full vin isn't listed and the pics aren't good enough to see the front brakes.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by mythos0512
That is funny! That would've freaked me out for a moment.

Not sure if you're trying to keep an active list, but, I was just on Copart and there's an SL55 in Vegas that's up, not much left of it (complete burn) but it looks like it has the correct wheels for a P30. Full vin isn't listed and the pics aren't good enough to see the front brakes.
That car looks rather toasty. Must have been one hell of a fire (https://www.copart.com/lot/41025882/...g-nv-las-vegas). Clearly it was an SL55 based on the engine, but I’m not sure those are real (multi-piece) P30 wheels. MBZ made a one piece version that was often seen on the lesser models. It had a smooth rim, without the bolts securing the center section to the rim. This looks more like one of those. In any case, I am not sure that I would trust these wheels at speed after that fire, no matter how well refinished they were. Yes, the VIN is incomplete. There were 98 US MY07 SL55s with ‘17’ as the 9th and 10th digits in their VIN, so presumably, that leaves 97…

Thanks for pointing me to the Copart website- I had never visited it before. Very interesting. I did find an SL65 listed there, which has a set of the correct twin spoke wheels (https://www.copart.com/lot/48555002/...fl-tampa-south).

Last edited by VRV000; 07-14-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:03 PM
Can’t see that poor SL55 being worth more than scrap value, dirty scrap at that. Tempted to bid on the 65 for the wheels alone…

Old 07-20-2022, 03:56 AM
Herman K is infamous around these parts
Herman-
Best to go by the VIN # some people have acquired a SL65 or SL55-P30 front bumper cover and stuck it on a non SL55 - Driver seats heaters elements can be bought as parts and installed on your existing seats.
Several years ago when an extra set of low mileage seats and original wheels that matched my car came available I bought them so I have an exchange set on hand when needed.
Last year I acquired a 2017 AMG GTS and just found an

extra set of wheels for it, with the extra wheels on hand I get the time to refurbish them when needed and shop for the best tire deals at my preferred pace.

That's my grandson in the SL55-P30 (a computer science student at UT in Austin, TX) he comes down to learn about my Star Diagnostics System and how they interact with the cars and off course enjoys driving them when he is here. I just replaced all my hydraulic Vario Roof cylinders and installed new motor mounts while he was here.
He never was much of car kid but now that he has worked with the diagnostics and the cars it all has changed, go figure!

Best H

Old 07-20-2022, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Herman K
Best to go by the VIN # some people have acquired a SL65 or SL55-P30 front bumper cover and stuck it on a non SL55 - Driver seats heaters elements can be bought as parts and installed on your existing seats.
Several years ago when an extra set of low mileage seats and original wheels that matched my car came available I bought them so I have an exchange set on hand when needed.
Last year I acquired a 2017 AMG GTS and just found an

extra set of wheels for it, with the extra wheels on hand I get the time to refurbish them when needed and shop for the best tire deals at my preferred pace.

That's my grandson in the SL55-P30 (a computer science student at UT in Austin, TX) he comes down to learn about my Star Diagnostics System and how they interact with the cars and off course enjoys driving them when he is here. I just replaced all my hydraulic Vario Roof cylinders and installed new motor mounts while he was here.
He never was much of car kid but now that he has worked with the diagnostics and the cars it all has changed, go figure!

Best H
Love the color of that car, Herman! Always amazes me that blue was so uncommon on R230s. The car looks great in various shades of light and dark blue.

Old 11-25-2022, 01:50 PM
mythos0512 is infamous around these parts
That car looks rather toasty. Must have been one hell of a fire (https://www.copart.com/lot/41025882/...g-nv-las-vegas). Clearly it was an SL55 based on the engine, but I’m not sure those are real (multi-piece) P30 wheels. MBZ made a one piece version that was often seen on the lesser models. It had a smooth rim, without the bolts securing the center section to the rim. This looks more like one of those. In any case, I am not sure that I would trust these wheels at speed after that fire, no matter how well refinished they were. Yes, the VIN is incomplete. There were 98 US MY07 SL55s with ‘17’ as the 9th and 10th digits in their VIN, so presumably, that leaves 97…

Thanks for pointing me to the Copart website- I had never visited it before. Very interesting. I did find an SL65 listed there, which has a set of the correct twin spoke wheels (https://www.copart.com/lot/48555002/...fl-tampa-south).
A little update, it looks like the vin was posted for this one. There is one less P30 around, sad. Vin#WDBSK72F17F126015WDBSK72F17F126015WDBSK72F17F126015

Old 01-10-2023, 08:40 PM
james1 is infamous around these parts
2006 sl55 p30

I have a Black / Black 2006 - Very enjoyable car to drive - Fast - Handles we’ll (4200lbs) and extremely comfortable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes AMG R230 SL55 P30