Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Mercedes AMG R230 SL55 P30

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 08:51 AM
V12TT Merc is infamous around these parts
Not a p30 car but I have an 05 SL65 which the sl55 borrows the brakes/ bumper / wheels from to make the p30 package. . Trying to post pics

Old 02-02-2023, 02:10 AM
Mahmoud_961 is infamous around these parts
Greetings from lebanon

Hello everyone..this is my P30 2007 with 77000 miles, clean title and original paint

Old 02-23-2023, 08:42 AM
redP30 is infamous around these parts
Hi there! Checking in here with my "wifes" 2006 SL55 P30 in Mars Red. 39k miles.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:19 AM
John Mallett is infamous around these parts
Still following. Looking forward to long spring and summer drives, although once a month i run my car up to temp in the driveway and if it’s sunny and the roads are very dry I take him for a short spin (sadly only once so far this winter).

Old 03-03-2023, 12:31 AM
Vlad,
I have a question. Although there was a bit of a bump in sales prices for P030 SLs in 2021/22 I am not seeing a sustained price rise for our cars.
Do you know what’s happening?
Although I have no plans to sell my one of one, that will be something my wife will have to do when I am a gone, I do like to remind her that my purchase a while back was a good investment. But right now, compared to Porsche of the same year our fabulous cars are incredibly undervalued.
your thoughts?

Old 04-26-2023, 12:49 PM
VRV000 is infamous around these parts
John, only just saw this- my apologies. I think all values have slipped, even for many P-cars, but its all relative of course. Given the economic uncertainty and rising interest rates, is it any wonder? I think the previous non-availability of new cars has eased now, which has probably had a downward impact on all car values, even older ones.

In early 2022 a friend of a friend was looking to buy a late model 992 Targa GTS. He bid and missed out on several cars on BaT and then managed to secure a build slot on a new one, with a promised delivery date of October 2022. Premium he paid above list? A cool $80k! He finally took delivery 2 weeks ago (6 months late), well after the bubble had burst. Just as well that he loves his new car, because he might be underwater for a while...

Old 04-26-2023, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by VRV000
John, only just saw this- my apologies. I think all values have slipped, even for many P-cars, but its all relative of course. Given the economic uncertainty and rising interest rates, is it any wonder? I think the previous non-availability of new cars has eased now, which has probably had a downward impact on all car values, even older ones.

In early 2022 a friend of a friend was looking to buy a late model 992 Targa GTS. He bid and missed out on several cars on BaT and then managed to secure a build slot on a new one, with a promised delivery date of October 2022. Premium he paid above list? A cool $80k! He finally took delivery 2 weeks ago (6 months late), well after the bubble had burst. Just as well that he loves his new car, because he might be underwater for a while...
Even the red 1960 300SLRoadster on BaT today ran out of steam at $1 million... https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-mercedes-benz-300sl-roadster-4/

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-26-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 01:11 AM
Beta Steve is infamous around these parts
From a baseline fluids, engine and trans mount refresh that started late Sept. 2021… To countless hours of paint correction, powder coat matching, researching sources, waiting for and test fitting parts, fabbing brackets, chasing down leaks, ordering more parts, and finally reflashing the computer today:

Ended up using the worn oe P30 steering wheel as a base for this custom cf unit. Along with new cf to replace the scratched and cracked oe center console. What the heck, how about the shifter too? Was able to source a brand new P30 steering wheel should the car ever go back to stock. Garage ornament now.

So it’s getting closer, fast, fun, solid and quiet, especially for a vert. Debating getting a lowering module. Minor little things to sort, then I suspect it will get regular use. 40 mile drive today returned 26.5 mpg according to Command… I’m skeptical to say the least.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Beta Steve
From a baseline fluids, engine and trans mount refresh that started late Sept. 2021… To countless hours of paint correction, powder coat matching, researching sources, waiting for and test fitting parts, fabbing brackets, chasing down leaks, ordering more parts, and finally reflashing the computer today:

Ended up using the worn oe P30 steering wheel as a base for this custom cf unit. Along with new cf to replace the scratched and cracked oe center console. What the heck, how about the shifter too? Was able to source a brand new P30 steering wheel should the car ever go back to stock. Garage ornament now.

So it’s getting closer, fast, fun, solid and quiet, especially for a vert. Debating getting a lowering module. Minor little things to sort, then I suspect it will get regular use. 40 mile drive today returned 26.5 mpg according to Command… I’m skeptical to say the least.
Steve, your attention to detail is amazing! I wish I lived closer to you. I would pay you to lavish the same amount of care on my car!

Old 06-24-2023, 11:02 PM
Let me know when you will be coming to cars and coffee in Victoria, we will try to meet up. I was surprised you follow that group?

Old 06-25-2023, 02:33 AM
We live a little less than .5 hr away from the Blackball Terminal in Port Angeles and enjoy Vancouver Island.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:59 AM
I’m still on the fence about lowering this car… aesthetically it needs it, but it rides so nice as it is. Anyone willing to share their experience with the various lowering methods? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Steve

Old 07-18-2023, 10:15 AM
A couple pics of my JBSPEED rear spoiler. Very happy with the product! I’ll from now on electronically remove the license plate as the rag looks bad, really bad.
The cf weave matches very well too.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:27 AM
mythos0512 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Beta Steve
I’m still on the fence about lowering this car… aesthetically it needs it, but it rides so nice as it is. Anyone willing to share their experience with the various lowering methods? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Steve
I only have experience with the lowering links. I did it to the p30 and my daily driver 03 sl500. I set both at the height to be slightly above flush at the middle position. SL500 on the lowest setting it is a bit stiffer, middle setting is perfect. The lowest almost seems like it hits a bump-stop when going over speed bumps and runs the risk of bumper damage with parking curbs. The biggest issue to me is the camber. Aftermarket control arms can fix that, it is high on my list to do in the future.

I really haven't driven the SL55 enough to get a good gauge of the suspension difference with the links. The suspension is waaaay stiffer to begin with then the SL500, to me its a night and day difference. I keep it in the middle position most of the time.

The pic of my car above, I believe, is set to the lowest position.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:20 AM
No picture seen here but thank you for the reply!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes AMG R230 SL55 P30