Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

SL600 Sales

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:32 PM
AndyZ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Well, I feel very out of the loop / stupid at this point...
But you learned something! and stupid people dont learn ..we dont judge here in expensive car land..

Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
SL600 price tank more than SL55 but it's a great buy if u want a true sleeper.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM
JR.
Banned
JR. is infamous around these parts
i don't know about the current SL600's but if you can't buy a 600 with the AMG package, specifically, the paddle shifting transmission, (which are just like the Porsche TT Tip), then the SL55 is the way to go, if you drive in a spirited fashion.. . . and if you have money to burn, the SL65... i spent some time in the 600 before purchasing my 55 and you can have all the power in the world but if it isn't usable and easily accessable, then what's the point. .. cars, as in life, are about balance... big motors and great transmissions are what it's all about. .. you MUST have one with the other.. they go together.. The paddle shifting trans in a 55 is extremely user friendly and great fun when moving quickly thru traffic..
one of my favorite things to do is: in manual mode, switch off the traction, floor the gas pedal, spin the tires til redline and watch the trans shift into second gear (at redline) while the tires are spinning and the gas pedal is held to the floor... and the car will continue to shift at every redline.. just like a Porsche Twin turbo.. great fun!!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by JR.
i don't know about the current SL600's but if you can't buy a 600 with the AMG package, specifically, the paddle shifting transmission, (which are just like the Porsche TT Tip), then the SL55 is the way to go, if you drive in a spirited fashion.. . . and if you have money to burn, the SL65... i spent some time in the 600 before purchasing my 55 and you can have all the power in the world but if it isn't usable and easily accessable, then what's the point. .. cars, as in life, are about balance... big motors and great transmissions are what it's all about. .. you MUST have one with the other.. they go together.. The paddle shifting trans in a 55 is extremely user friendly and great fun when moving quickly thru traffic..
one of my favorite things to do is: in manual mode, switch off the traction, floor the gas pedal, spin the tires til redline and watch the trans shift into second gear (at redline) while the tires are spinning and the gas pedal is held to the floor... and the car will continue to shift at every redline.. just like a Porsche Twin turbo.. great fun!!
Totally understand where you're coming from. Paddle shifting in a car with that kind of power would be awesome.

You must go through a lot of tires..

Old 04-27-2006, 02:41 PM
JR.
Banned
life is short..
tires though not cheap are expendable and easy to obtain..

Old 04-27-2006, 02:51 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JR.
HAHA thats fun, but honestly I never use tip in the 600. The shift map seems pretty good to me. I love the 600 and I love not being one of the people with a 55. Don't get me wrong the 55 is a great car and I'm not trying to insult it, I just think it depends on the user. I only take the SL out if I want to cruise and have the top down, or if i want to go drifitng. The Turbo on the other hand is the sports car. Tip sucks in traffic with or without traffic in my opinion. To each his own though.

I recomend the Sl 600 to someone who wants a fun car to cruise in and screw around in. If you want sports forget mercedes all together.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
After having owned a 55k car and driving numerous others, I can tell you for the REAL power enthusiast, the TT V12 (ala 600/65) is king. With a Stage 1 RENNTech (as my 600 has) it makes more power and WAY more torque than a Stage *5* RENNTech 55k car. I have it dropped via Carlsson Lowering Module and a good set of PS2s on it, handles just fine for me. Good highspeed stability as well. The car is an absolute terror on the highway, WAY faster than any 55 car I've seen (except maybe Derek's 10 sec E55).

People will say the SL55 is sportier, etc - and they are right. Stock to stock the 55 makes the 600 look like an old man's car, but if you really want power - there is no question in my mind the 600 is the way to go. With a little work, they can look just as good too.

http://www.garagedynamics.com/marcus...t/IMG_2379.JPG

-m

Old 04-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
After having owned a 55k car and driving numerous others, I can tell you for the REAL power enthusiast, the TT V12 (ala 600/65) is king. With a Stage 1 RENNTech (as my 600 has) it makes more power and WAY more torque than a Stage *5* RENNTech 55k car. I have it dropped via Carlsson Lowering Module and a good set of PS2s on it, handles just fine for me. Good highspeed stability as well. The car is an absolute terror on the highway, WAY faster than any 55 car I've seen (except maybe Derek's 10 sec E55).

People will say the SL55 is sportier, etc - and they are right. Stock to stock the 55 makes the 600 look like an old man's car, but if you really want power - there is no question in my mind the 600 is the way to go. With a little work, they can look just as good too.

http://www.garagedynamics.com/marcus...t/IMG_2379.JPG

-m
I like the way you think dude!

by the way thats a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet SL! ....um...can I have it?

Old 04-27-2006, 08:45 PM
JR.
Banned
Marcus,
does your 600 have the AMG sport package with the the Amg "enhanced" transmission incl. the "fingertip shift control" (paddle shifters).. and AMG "speed shift" programming for faster gear changes etc....
i am reading from a MB sales brochure.
my point was that i find all cars more enjoyable when the transmission is matched by the motor.
that is not to say that the 600 isn't a great car, especially yours, but i like a high performance motor that is in sync with the high performance transmission.. maybe the 600 has the same trans., i don't know..
JR

p.s. take some more pics of your car..

Old 04-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JR.
Marcus,
does your 600 have the AMG sport package with the the Amg "enhanced" transmission incl. the "fingertip shift control" (paddle shifters).. and AMG "speed shift" programming for faster gear changes etc....
This car does not have the steering wheel button controls, but honestly in "S" I cannot tell the difference in shift times between my 600 and the 55 cars. This is without question due to the Transmission Control Unit upgrade that comes with the RENNTech Stage 1 package.
my point was that i find all cars more enjoyable when the transmission is matched by the motor.
JR I can completely appreciate that. I would note that the same ZF designed 5-speed is present in the 55, 600, and 65 cars and, as I said before should note that with the RENNTech Stage 1 I also get an upgrade to the Transmission Control Unit. The car definitely shifts faster and with more force than it does stock.

that is not to say that the 600 isn't a great car, especially yours, but i like a high performance motor that is in sync with the high performance transmission.. maybe the 600 has the same trans., i don't know..
JR

p.s. take some more pics of your car..
JR I think the best way to continue this debate is just to have you drive my car. You are local. I think you'll honestly see better where I am coming from (again, I'm not saying the 600 is BETTER than the 55, but I am trying to say that the "luxo, slow, old man" sort of persona given to the 600 is not accurate at all). Then you won't need any more pics either... heh.

-m

Old 04-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Sheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 20C4S
SL600 price tank more than SL55 but it's a great buy if u want a true sleeper.

I think you are a bit jaded if an sl600 is a sleeper

Old 05-09-2006, 04:21 AM
Joeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to behold
What wheels and size do you have on your SL Marcus? Are they 20" HRE 540's? Your SL is just perfect.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:36 PM
JR.
Banned
Marcus,
are you going to the go carting event this weekend?
JR

Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 PM
JR.,

I don't think I'll be able to make it, have to head up to Madison on Saturday and of course Sunday I have Mother's Day "festivities"

You should come out with the SuperCars Chicago group, we get together just about once every week / every other week.

Marcus

Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
The SL55 will ALWAYS take the SL600 off the line. The extra torque of the 600 will let it slowly catch up and pull away. The price difference is very little if you spec both close to the same. Many things that you would add to the 55 are stock on the 600. Just "build" one on www.mbusa.com and you will see. The SL600 can be chipped for around 6-7k and will net you somewhere around 640hp. The SL55 (mine) will soon get the K2 for 593hp. They sound very different because the turbos of the 600 soak up a lot of the sound. The 55 is a loud beast at WOT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL600 Sales