Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

SL600 Sales

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 PM
AndyZ is infamous around these parts
SL600 Sales

Does anyone know the sale numbers on the 600's?

I only ask because I live in So. Cal and you'd think they would be seen everywhere around here but it I've almost NEVER come across one.

Everytime I think I see one its a 500 or a SL55..not that those aren't cool too.

However I've had the GREAT PRIVLAGE of driving a 600 once ..thanks to everyone's favorite Italian Craig Lieberman and ever since I've been hooked but apart from his I never see them on the street.

Did they just not sell because of their high sticker price?..where they limited production?

Anyone know the story?

Old 04-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
They don't sell primarilly for the high sticker price. The other reason is the SL55, which is less money and is more of a sports car than the 600 is. The 600's production is only a result of buyers, mercedes never said "we're only going to make 500 SL 600's a year" but rather only 500 people can and will pony up the dough. (500 is an arbitrary number I pulled from thin air)

600's however, are a great buy on the used market.

Performance is comperable between the two cars (as can be seen below) however maintenance costs and fuel consumption differ substantially.

SL600 - MSRP $132,775 510hp @ 5,000 RPM | 612 lb/ft of torque at 1,900-3,500 RPM | 0-60 in 4.5 Seconds
SL55 - MSRP $129,575 510hp @ 6,100 RPM | 531 lb/ft of torque at 2,600-4,000 RPM | 0-60 in 4.4 Seconds

Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-25-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:05 AM
Banned
PCH CRUISE is infamous around these parts
I've seen a few in SoCal, usually women driving them? and black exterior too... hmm. About the production numbers, shank might know...

Old 04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
My dad just bought one a couple months ago. It's a pretty cool car and pretty rare. At first I just insulted the car because I love the Turbo so much more, but then I drove it, and wow. I keep trying to get him to race me but he refuses! It's a good drifting car but NOTHING like driving the turbo.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Hellcat02 is infamous around these parts
Calendar year to date (January - March) Mercedes has delivered only 59 SL600 models in the United States. 15 in January, 12 in February and 32 in March.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:19 PM
mlopat is infamous around these parts
I've seen a couple around the Toronto area. Have to agree the SL55 is more popular, but one particular area (Forest Hill) seems to have an abundance of them.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jeremy
They don't sell primarilly for the high sticker price. The other reason is the SL55, which is less money and is more of a sports car than the 600 is. The 600's production is only a result of buyers, mercedes never said "we're only going to make 500 SL 600's a year" but rather only 500 people can and will pony up the dough. (500 is an arbitrary number I pulled from thin air)

600's however, are a great buy on the used market.

Performance is comperable between the two cars (as can be seen below) however maintenance costs and fuel consumption differ substantially.

SL600 - MSRP $132,775 510hp @ 5,000 RPM | 612 lb/ft of torque at 1,900-3,500 RPM | 0-60 in 4.5 Seconds
SL55 - MSRP $129,575 510hp @ 6,100 RPM | 531 lb/ft of torque at 2,600-4,000 RPM | 0-60 in 4.4 Seconds

Jeremy
Does the 600 suffer reliability problems that cause high maintainance costs?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:18 PM
You know, going by the numbers that Jeremy posted it really seems like the SL600 is a better buy performance wise unless there is a different suspension package.

Just by those figures alone..in the 600 you get the power sooner and you get more torque at earlier RPM's

However I understand with AMG you get the rims, other special badging and embroidery, and the aero kit..I dont count the super charged engine package in that list because it isn't really a step up from the stock V12 TT in the 600.

What I dont know are the suspension specs for the SL55 but I suppose I can look that up. If it handles a lot better than the 600 I can better justify why its worth it to go with that car.

Otherwise I figure if I was in a position to afford either car then I'd probably just buy the SL600 and buy the AMG rims and aero package from the dealer.

I can't really speak for the SL55 but I've felt the accelleration from the 600 and I can't imagine why someone would want to get anything less after experiencing that!

Old 04-26-2006, 04:41 PM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AndyZ
You know, going by the numbers that Jeremy posted it really seems like the SL600 is a better buy performance wise unless there is a different suspension package.

Just by those figures alone..in the 600 you get the power sooner and you get more torque at earlier RPM's

However I understand with AMG you get the rims, other special badging and embroidery, and the aero kit..I dont count the super charged engine package in that list because it isn't really a step up from the stock V12 TT in the 600.

What I dont know are the suspension specs for the SL55 but I suppose I can look that up. If it handles a lot better than the 600 I can better justify why its worth it to go with that car.

Otherwise I figure if I was in a position to afford either car then I'd probably just buy the SL600 and buy the AMG rims and aero package from the dealer.

I can't really speak for the SL55 but I've felt the accelleration from the 600 and I can't imagine why someone would want to get anything less after experiencing that!
The 55 has different suspension.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute

Edited -- because I was wrong

As Felix said, the 55 has a much different (sporty) suspension as compared to the luxury suspension in the 600.

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-26-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:51 PM
The 600 is a naturally aspirated V12 -- not a TT, the 65 is a V12 Bi-Turbo
The 600 is a turbo dude check it out: http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=SL600R

Old 04-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Ha, so it is, my apologies, I forgot that the '07s were out soon and didn't even know that they made it into a TT....

Jeremy

Old 04-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Ha, so it is, my apologies, I forgot that the '07s were out soon and didn't even know that they made it into a TT....

Jeremy
It's all good

But yeah man the 600's have been TT since 05 I believe. Thats the year that Lieberman has and his is a TT. I dont know if they were TT before that though.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 PM
eMJay1133 is infamous around these partseMJay1133 is infamous around these parts
It's all good

But yeah man the 600's have been TT since 05 I believe. Thats the year that Lieberman has and his is a TT. I dont know if they were TT before that though.
They've been TT since 03

Old 04-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Originally Posted by eMJay1133
They've been TT since 03
Well, I feel very out of the loop / stupid at this point...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL600 Sales