Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Your favorite Merc Tuner?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:16 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
That's a great challenge between Brabus and Kleemann...well it's cool!

I need to say that Kleemann 55K is on of the best tuned cars I've ever seen...incredibly fast...Just read the article on Evo Magazine.

From the other side the Brabus CLS Rocket V12 BiTurbo is....a fired ROCKET!!

Old 09-04-2006, 12:59 AM
BlownSLK55 is infamous around these parts
Agreed. Maybe I came across as ultra loyal to Kleemann. Brabus does amazing work as well - just a different approach than the Kleemann crew. I think Brabus makes a good product & I'd hardly call a Brabus Merc a "lesser car" - it ain't. I just think its pricey for what you get & I'm not crazy about getting my hand built engine opened completely up? Maybe the best of both worlds is to do a Brabus bore out & a Kleemann blower install. It would be pricey....but fast as hell on a roll.

See ya,
-Matt

Old 09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Sniper112 is infamous around these parts
i've spotted an SLK K8 before...incredibly fast...
0-60 in 3.7?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Sniper112
i've spotted an SLK K8 before...incredibly fast...
0-60 in 3.7?
Really? They are very rare (less than 10 in the US). There is a 10 rwhp difference between S7 & S8. They are pretty quick.

See ya,
-Matt

Old 09-09-2006, 04:05 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by BlownSLK55
Really? They are very rare (less than 10 in the US). There is a 10 rwhp difference between S7 & S8. They are pretty quick.

See ya,
-Matt
http://rsportscars.com/eng/cars/kleemann_slk55ks8.asp

that car is insanely quick, but i'd still take a more expensive CLS or SL AMG over that

Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
i think even if the SLK has all those upgrades Kleemann has to offer, it will still lose to an F430, Gallardo or a Z06 around a track..

Old 09-09-2006, 07:16 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Definitely Brabus!! Had their gear on my CLK. BTW Post some pics from the party in Newport!!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:53 PM
i think even if the SLK has all those upgrades Kleemann has to offer, it will still lose to an F430, Gallardo or a Z06 around a track..
Depends what type of track (high speed one like Hockenhiem or a slower one like Laguna Seca)?

Don't be fooled, a stock (non Nurburgring suspension which is actually significantly more firm) SLK55 has about the same speed through the 70 mph slalom as some of the cars you mentioned (I threw in some 911s as well):

911 Turbo, 67.8 mph
SLK55, 68.3 mph
911 GT2 & a GT3, 68.7 mph
Gallardo, 68.6 mph
ZO6, 69.6 mph
F430, 70.9 mph (smokin'!!)

So, IMHO, only the ZO6 & F430 are noticeable better handling performers when really pushed (and the SLK55 #s are for the soft suspension, not firm). That is pretty good handling IMO - especially for a VERT.

Braking stats (stock SLK55, again...not Kleemannized, & the cars you mentioned) from 80 mph to 0::
911 GT2, 209 ft
911 GT3, 207 ft
SLK55, 201 ft
Carrera GT, 199 ft
ZO6, 197 ft
Gallardo, 194 ft
F430, 192 ft

So again, the stock SLK brakes are stout performers - especially given the stock/puny 245 width tires. Putting more rubber on the road alone would drop the SLK55 #s to match the Italian cars. The AMG brakes are 8 piston calipers clamping vented, slotted, cross drilled, forged rotors. They are serious brakes & do NOT fade on the track (personal experience ).

Straight line? The S8 SLK is a low 11 sec car (it weighs 350 lbs less but has roughly the same power as an SLR).

I guess I disagree because the S8 has a firmer suspension, even stronger brakes, lighter rims with wider tires, & of course - huge power. It would decimate the above stock SLK55 stats which are already not too bad). In fact, I'd venture to say an S8 SLK should be just as quick or faster than an SLR on a track (should brake just as well, has a better power to weight ratio, better gearing, & a firm suspension to match)? Kleemanizing an already pretty fast car results in all around improved performance - all for about $110k - undercutting every car, save the ZO6, by a significant margin.

Just fyi....Here is an SLR taking on a Carrera GT on 3/4 mile course. Interesting.
http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...4c6e9095b2.htm

See ya,
-Matt

Last edited by BlownSLK55; 09-09-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Depends what type of track (high speed one like Hockenhiem or a slower one like Laguna Seca)?

Don't be fooled, a stock (non Nurburgring suspension which is actually significantly more firm) SLK55 has about the same speed through the 70 mph slalom as some of the cars you mentioned (I threw in some 911s as well):

911 Turbo, 67.8 mph
SLK55, 68.3 mph
911 GT2 & a GT3, 68.7 mph
Gallardo, 68.6 mph
ZO6, 69.6 mph
F430, 70.9 mph (smokin'!!)

So, IMHO, only the ZO6 & F430 are noticeable better handling performers when really pushed (and the SLK55 #s are for the soft suspension, not firm). That is pretty good handling IMO - especially for a VERT.

Braking stats (stock SLK55, again...not Kleemannized, & the cars you mentioned) from 80 mph to 0::
911 GT2, 209 ft
911 GT3, 207 ft
SLK55, 201 ft
Carrera GT, 199 ft
ZO6, 197 ft
Gallardo, 194 ft
F430, 192 ft

So again, the stock SLK brakes are stout performers - especially given the stock/puny 245 width tires. Putting more rubber on the road alone would drop the SLK55 #s to match the Italian cars. The AMG brakes are 8 piston calipers clamping vented, slotted, cross drilled, forged rotors. They are serious brakes & do NOT fade on the track (personal experience ).

Straight line? The S8 SLK is a low 11 sec car (it weighs 350 lbs less but has roughly the same power as an SLR).

I guess I disagree because the S8 has a firmer suspension, even stronger brakes, lighter rims with wider tires, & of course - huge power. It would decimate the above stock SLK55 stats which are already not too bad). In fact, I'd venture to say an S8 SLK should be just as quick or faster than an SLR on a track (should brake just as well, has a better power to weight ratio, better gearing, & a firm suspension to match)? Kleemanizing an already pretty fast car results in all around improved performance - all for about $110k - undercutting every car, save the ZO6, by a significant margin.

Just fyi....Here is an SLR taking on a Carrera GT on 3/4 mile course. Interesting.
http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...4c6e9095b2.htm

See ya,
-Matt
thanks for the link, i saw that video a while ago too~
btw, what are the times of the SLK (stock) and the other mentioned cars on laguna seca or nurburgring? i searched everywhere and i couldnt find it-.-

EDIT: how does your SLK run on the 1/4 mile drag? i know its an S7 but its probably a blast to drive!
btw, did kleemann did anything to the transmission? i wasnt sure if the stock 7G auto tranny could hold that extra power..

Old 09-10-2006, 02:41 AM
Sniper, found it on an NSX forum. A stock SLK55 has slower times (from what I can tell) to all the cars I listed. It does OK, but its not a purebread like a 911 or an F430 on a race track. Its faster than say an NSX, but not as quick as the other hard core sports cars the Ring or Hockenheim. There are no times for a modded SLK (that I know of?).

Quarter mile time? Honsestly, I dunno - never dragged it (its my wife's daily driver). I know if you nail it at anything below 70 mph, the 265 GSD3 tires spin so I know its pretty quick? .

See ya,
-Matt

Old 09-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Sniper, found it on an NSX forum. A stock SLK55 has slower times (from what I can tell) to all the cars I listed. It does OK, but its not a purebread like a 911 or an F430 on a race track. Its faster than say an NSX, but not as quick as the other hard core sports cars the Ring or Hockenheim. There are no times for a modded SLK (that I know of?).

Quarter mile time? Honsestly, I dunno - never dragged it (its my wife's daily driver). I know if you nail it at anything below 70 mph, the 265 GSD3 tires spin so I know its pretty quick? .

See ya,
-Matt
i know what your saying...
but then, if SLK aint Mb's track car, what is? the CLK DTM AMG?
i love mb's comfort and everything, but seem to be only fast in the straights...as commented by many ppl sigh.. T_T

Old 09-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Doh! I forgot to post the times I referenced. Sorry....I was tired last night. Here ya go:

And no, I don't think the SLK55 (stock...soft suspensioned version as I noted) is not just fast in a straight line. Honestly, it did pretty well. You can see for yourself that while in stock format its not as quick as say a Gallardo or an F430, it was faster than a C5 Vette and just as quick as a 911 Carerra & some other pretty fast track oriented cars (and its a $65k Vert man!). If a 911 Carerra, Boxter S, or a Lotus Exige ain't track cars, I don't know what is? Now, if we go back to the car being S7 or S8 (or even have the MB Nurburgring suspension/performance package), I'm sure the times would drop significantly (firmer handling, more rubber, even bigger brakes). Look at the braking & slalom stats for the stock (soft suspensioned ) SLK55 - they are competitive to some of the best sports cars built.

These track times aren't bad for a stock SLK55 either. What do you think?

-Matt

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TrackTimes.pdf (56.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-10-2006, 11:26 AM
thats cool man..
it aint slow of course for a vert, i think with some decent power mods and a stronger suspension race setup, the car can lap the nurburgring at least 50 seconds faster...

EDIT: the main reason why im asking for info is im trying to build myself a DD/track car combo with an AMG series [around 80k car](im sick of drivng manual flame on...) and i wanted to try to 7G or paddle gear box

Last edited by Sniper112; 09-10-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:31 PM
thats cool man..
it aint slow of course for a vert, i think with some decent power mods and a stronger suspension race setup, the car can lap the nurburgring at least 50 seconds faster...

EDIT: the main reason why im asking for info is im trying to build myself a DD/track car combo with an AMG series [around 80k car](im sick of drivng manual flame on...) and i wanted to try to 7G or paddle gear box
What kind of AMG car are you looking at building? I'd recommend a CLK or SLK (reasonable light yet powerful with the AMG V8 powerplant). Of the 2 cars mentioned, the SLK is the only one with the 7G (paddle shift).

-Matt

Old 09-10-2006, 11:37 PM
What kind of AMG car are you looking at building? I'd recommend a CLK or SLK (reasonable light yet powerful with the AMG V8 powerplant). Of the 2 cars mentioned, the SLK is the only one with the 7G (paddle shift).

-Matt
i thought the new CLK63 AMG has the 7G transmission as well? (correct me if im wrong).
i notice that the 6.3L N/A V8 engine that AMG recently built has not much aftermarket support just yet, i guess kleemann and renntech are still in the process of developing good parts for the new engine.

i got a quote from Kleemann before for an K8 SLK which will develop close to 600 hp and 600 ft-lb of torque, of approximately 40k...
this will add up to approximately 100k...
with that price, I could get a CLS63 AMG w/ minor mods or perhaps a 997 turbo ?
btw, im looking for a car that goes around a courses in which mostly "straightline speed" is involved (i will be mainly using it for everyday driving on the streets).

opinions?

Last edited by Sniper112; 09-11-2006 at 01:32 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Your favorite Merc Tuner?