Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

W210 E55 idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:40 PM
F11
F11 has a spectacular aura aboutF11 has a spectacular aura about
W210 E55 idea

Hi im currently looking at getting a new car. The car ive been most interested in is the RS4 but before i spend 75k on a new car I would like to look at all my options, including the crazy ones like this one.

I was thinking that i could pick up a 2001/2 W210 E55 for about 25-30k and make it into an awesome street racer with a subtle exterior. I would put full carbon fibre racing seats steering wheel, lightweight wheels, 8 piston 15" brakes, JRZ 2 point adjustable suspension and all the Kleemann N/A upgrades.
This would give me a great handling car with 420+ horsepower, all of this would be pretty easy and not to crazy, but I am not really in love with the idea of having an automatic transmission, so I was thinking of getting a Tremec T56 6 speed transmission (the same one as the DB7, C6, and Viper) and putting that in the E55. I was wondering if this would cause me to run into too many problems, Thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Good Luck!

It will be a very extensive project...electronics alone on the Benz's are....FUN.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:06 PM
F11
thanks, im aware in how extensive it is, my friend owns a great shop, he builts Ferrari 360 challenges and GTs as well as other tuned cars so i wont be short on mechanic ability.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
This is always good!

PM me with some other info, where you are located, etc. I would like to follow this project!

This is a GREAT platform to start with, ultimately, you are going to wish for the Kompressor (which you can add at any time) or some type of Turbo setup.

T-56 Trans is also a great platform to work with. Beef up the input/ouput shafts, get a new driveshaft (either aluminum or titanium), and definately beef up the rear diff (gears/etc).

Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 PM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Why not start with an E39 M5 instead? Will probably be cheaper and 6speed.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:28 AM
F11
starting with a e39 would certainly be cheaper and easier, but less fun doing and it wouldnt be as special to me. If i go this route i would probably end up getting a kleemann kompressor somewhere down the line but its a little to expensive to start out with. Im still a few months out from actually starting but if and when i do i will keep you guys posted.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i just sold my bro's 00 E55. it could be a nice project of urs. nice car runs forever.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Great idea, I hope you the best

Old 11-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 20C4S
i just sold my bro's 00 E55. it could be a nice project of urs. nice car runs forever.
I second this...I have 2000 that has 97K miles on it, drives like new and still runs 105+ trap speeds

Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Will Party for Food!!!!
Jeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing you might want to consider is the cost of your project, which is important for 2 reasons: First, there is the initial outlay of funds; Second there is the cold reality that you won't be getting them back.

The harsh truth is that modded cars when sold almost never recoup the cost of the modifications.

RS4's are selling for under list here in the midwest, and although it would be a substantially larger investment, you would get a higher percentage of it back. Perhaps not much higher as Audi isn't known for their resale, but if you purchased say a 2003 E55 you would be close on the money you would spend on this one + mods and would get a much higher ROI from it.

Just something to consider, that said it does sound like a very cool project.

Jeremy

Old 12-03-2006, 05:49 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by F11
starting with a e39 would certainly be cheaper and easier, but less fun doing and it wouldnt be as special to me.
Why? You can buy a 2003 M5 in good condition with under 40K miles for 45K or less. Or, a facelifted '01 model for under 40K. For the power, you could contact Dinan and do their S3 supercharger with accompanied suspension, exhaust, and brake upgrades. It is spendy, but I'm guessing in the same league as a Kleeman car. You also need to remember that an RS4 is just a tick faster than an E39 M5. Above 100, I think the M5 may even have the edge. So, you could also buy a nice M5, and do some basic modifications. Supersprint headers, exhaust, Powerchip software. Spend 10K on an M5 and it will take an RS4 on the freeway or track.

Just something to think about...