Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

56hp and 84lbs tq for $1,200!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Not only a different crank pulley, but a blower snout pulley. The kompressor is creating too much pressure, and the pressure has to release somewhere because it is not being used...causing it to blow the gaskets.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 PM
jdj27x is infamous around these parts
This is news to me....

I have been reading ALOT about the 55k mods from both RENNtech and Kleenman and there have been almost 0 problems.....

I think a stage 1 (software, and ecu) is very safe on this car. The only issue with these mods is that the intercooler is very inefficient. The extra heat from the mods show the weakness of the intercooler.

Its not the car becoming over heated, its just the intercooler doesn’t become efficient enough to cool down the "charge" air before it enters the manifold.

You basically loose a lot of horsepower when the car has been driven hard.

Renntech and evosport both make cooling packages

i have a 05 e55 btw

Last edited by jdj27x; 01-25-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HD Jimbo
Not only a different crank pulley, but a blower snout pulley. The kompressor is creating too much pressure, and the pressure has to release somewhere because it is not being used...causing it to blow the gaskets.
I am familiar with blown head gaskets, just not on the 55 Kompressor motors...I can only recall one from that I am familliar with. Was this a RENNtech or Kleemann modified 55 and did it have any type of intercooler upgrade?

Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain
I am familiar with blown head gaskets, just not on the 55 Kompressor motors...I can only recall one from that I am familliar with. Was this a RENNtech or Kleemann modified 55 and did it have any type of intercooler upgrade?
No intercooler upgrade.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:02 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
You can't run a blower snout pulley on the 55's. Crank pulley only. What kind of car are you talking about? I don't understand how the 55 blower will make more boost with headers ecu etc when it is a mechanical boost enhancement. The ECU has no control of boost. The only way to get more boost is from a larger pulley. Even if the blower produced too much boost the bypass valve would bleed off the excess. Factory setting for the valve is a tad north of 18psi (I believe). Stock boost is 11.5psi.

The 55's have no issues running the larger crank pulley. The only issue I would see with a crank pulley mod only is the AFR (corrected by ECU).

Last edited by L8Apex; 01-25-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Full everything, crank AND SNOUT pulley. It took some guys over in Denmark 3 weeks to make the snout pulley.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:17 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Full everything, crank AND SNOUT pulley. It took some guys over in Denmark 3 weeks to make the snout pulley.

How much boost and what kind of car (55 w211)? If it was the snout (supercharger) pulley on an 55 the blower clutch will fail (it is all one unit). That is the primary reason all of the tuners provide a Crank pulley not a Snout pulley on a 55.

An e55 will actually loose boost (intake pressure) with headers because of lower restiriction. A PROPERLY designed crank pulley will only produce 3-4 addtl psi (safe). Total of 14-15psi

It sounds like the guys in Denmark really had a lot of overdrive on the blower and screwed up the clutch. If you are running 17-18psi you will have issues. In any event the bypass valve would still bleed off the extra (bad) boost.

Last edited by L8Apex; 01-25-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by L8Apex
How much boost and what kind of car (55 w211)? If it was the snout (supercharger) pulley on an 55 the blower clutch will fail (it is all one unit). That is the primary reason all of the tuners provide a Crank pulley not a Snout pulley on a 55.

An e55 will actually loose boost (intake pressure) with headers because of lower restiriction. A PROPERLY designed crank pulley will only produce 3-4 addtl psi (safe). Total of 14-15psi

It sounds like the guys in Denmark really had a lot of overdrive on the blower and screwed up the clutch. If you are running 17-18psi you will have issues. In any event the bypass valve would still bleed off the extra (bad) boost.
It was on a CLS55. The blower clutch never failed. We do not have any details from the manufacturer of the aftermarket parts as far as how much PSI it was actually running, but I can tell you that the car was sent a great distance to them, and they tried to make some modifications...unsuccessfully. But we were finally able to resolve the issue by removing the aftermarket snout pulley and putting the stock pulley back on. When all was said and done, the car hasn't had a problem since, which has been a couple of months now.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:49 PM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
HD was this pulley on the s/c your design/idea or was your car serving as a test platform for a tuner?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
you gonna sell it or hold onto it mike?

Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by DFW911T
HD was this pulley on the s/c your design/idea or was your car serving as a test platform for a tuner?
We strictly installed the part. He took it upon himself to find a company out in Denmark, and had them custom make one. Took 3 weeks to make, and he brought it to us to install. We put her on, and the issues starting occuring. So we did a few things, unsuccessfully, and finally ended with installing the stock pulley, which took care of the issue.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain
you gonna sell it or hold onto it mike?
Depends on which way the wind blows. If I find a good SL and get a decent trade, I'm gone.