Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

SL55 AMG opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
SL55 AMG opinions

Hey guys,
I've been thinking about adding an SL55 AMG to the garage for nice long cruises and for the wife (she doesn't like manuals). I've noticed the depreciation seems exponential. There's a 2004 with about 10k miles near me from a private owner who's asking 64K. Another CPO'd '03 with 15k miles for 69K. Looks like an opportunity to get a nice 3-4 yr old car at half price but I'm a bit leary. I'm used to Porsche, Honda, Toyota, Infiniti.....basically trouble free. How have the SL's been? Should I avoid the first year or two ('03-04)? I keep my cars for a long time but don't put on a lot of miles (too many weekend cars and not enough weekends) . Would the SL be a good choice?
Thanks,
-Glen

Old 02-07-2007, 01:09 PM
BIG LUV is a jewel in the roughBIG LUV is a jewel in the roughBIG LUV is a jewel in the rough
Skip the '03 year unless it's for sure free from "electrical gremlins". They say '03 was the fastest year for 55's, but a pulley and tuning will change that quickly. I love my E55.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:46 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BIG LUV
Skip the '03 year unless it's for sure free from "electrical gremlins". They say '03 was the fastest year for 55's, but a pulley and tuning will change that quickly. I love my E55.
Yeah some came with a 80mm F1 Spec AMG throttle body but I have to agree with BIG LUV, get a 2004 and add Ecu upgrade, pulleys, headers and a larger throttle body if your want more, Its a good cruiser and its very comfy.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
BL and MM are spot on about avoiding the 03, unless you can get the $$ down to the basement. You can prob even find an 05 with low miles for just a bit more. Tuning that beast is not very hard either. A pulley/ecu is good for close to 50 hp and stainless steel headers(deleting front cats) is good for close to another 50 hp. The sound changes very little until you go wot. I sometimes find myself mashing the pedal just to hear it. Turn your speakers up for this vid.
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...=SL55K2RIP.flv

Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Mussel Kar
BL and MM are spot on about avoiding the 03, unless you can get the $$ down to the basement. You can prob even find an 05 with low miles for just a bit more. Tuning that beast is not very hard either. A pulley/ecu is good for close to 50 hp and stainless steel headers(deleting front cats) is good for close to another 50 hp. The sound changes very little until you go wot. I sometimes find myself mashing the pedal just to hear it. Turn your speakers up for this vid.
Mussel Kar, Nice setup obviously many go towards Kleemann K2 and Reccomend it, correct me if I am wrong the K2 consist of Ecu/Pully and Headers?

I like the Sound of your SL55; My SLK55 will get to sound Meaner when I install the SuperSprint X pipe(1-2weeks to arrive) along with the Kleemann cats I already have waiting to be installed in my storage room

Old 02-08-2007, 10:01 AM
master_jcp is infamous around these partsmaster_jcp is infamous around these parts

Nice sound. When arrives your GT3RS?

I think the 05 started by 80k with 20k miles! Good look to find one!

Last edited by master_jcp; 02-08-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the help. So far the '04 for 64k is a flood salvage...no way. I think the '03 is sold....haven't heard back from the owner. I did find an '05 with 15k miles that at first glance looks good...asking price $79.9k. What do you think about that price?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
BIG LUV is a jewel in the roughBIG LUV is a jewel in the roughBIG LUV is a jewel in the rough
Everything is negotiable.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr. T
Thanks for the help. So far the '04 for 64k is a flood salvage...no way. I think the '03 is sold....haven't heard back from the owner. I did find an '05 with 15k miles that at first glance looks good...asking price $79.9k. What do you think about that price?
What options? Price is in the ballpark and sounds like something you can work on. Mine is a late 05 with 11k on it. Only 3k last season. Put 5k on the turbo though.
05 has more warranty left too. Something that could be very important.

MM Pulley, ecu, headers, and K&N sport filters.

M jcp Next week?

Old 02-10-2007, 04:43 AM
What options? Price is in the ballpark and sounds like something you can work on. Mine is a late 05 with 11k on it. Only 3k last season. Put 5k on the turbo though.
05 has more warranty left too. Something that could be very important.

MM Pulley, ecu, headers, and K&N sport filters.

M jcp Next week?
Thank you