Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Best online sites for tuning products for SL55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:59 AM
mikesneaks is infamous around these parts
MattM: Check out mbworld.org. There is a ton of information on there that will help you make the best choice for your vehicle.

Last edited by mikesneaks; 04-05-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 AM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikesneaks
You are right, there are plenty of people that have ASP pulley's without any problems, but there are also, people that have had them and have had problems because of the higher boost and increased engine temperature that it creates causing the stock IC pump to be overwhelmed, thus shutting down the supercharger.
I suggest you should read my post again before you get your panties in a bunch...
You make an unsubstantiated claim that the pulley could "possibly be harmful to your engine" and when I ask for proof, I've got my panties in a bunch?

If you read this thread again, you will notice that mine was the first post to caution about the IC pump. That's because I have personal experience with the pump going bad BEFORE switching to the ASP pulley.

If you care to, you can browse MBWorld and find dozens of examples of people who had problems with the IC pump long before they made any mods, pullies of ANY brand included.

The IC pumps are a known weak point in the 55 engine and people who do mods are most likely to address the issue with a cooling kit (Evo or Klee), phenolic spacers (Evo), new pump (often Johnson marine), +10 degree software mod or other minor methods.

Your theoretical comment about possible harm is true, but it cannot be limited to one product as you did, it happens with the factory pulley more often than with after market pullies.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by DFW911T
You make an unsubstantiated claim that the pulley could "possibly be harmful to your engine" and when I ask for proof, I've got my panties in a bunch?

I explained one of the reason's why in my response to your post. Maybe you should read it again.

If you read this thread again, you will notice that mine was the first post to caution about the IC pump. That's because I have personal experience with the pump going bad BEFORE switching to the ASP pulley.

Thats good that you have the first post regarding the IC pump. I don't know what having the first post has to do with this one, but congrats! As far as it going bad prior to the ASP pulley, that is true that many people have had this problem, but that doesn't explain why people with the factory replaced IC pump's are still experiencing problems with ASP pulley's.

If you care to, you can browse MBWorld and find dozens of examples of people who had problems with the IC pump long before they made any mods, pullies of ANY brand included.

I'm on there everyday and if you care to browse yourself, you will find threads on there regarding the ASP pulley and find the exact information I posted up here.

The IC pumps are a known weak point in the 55 engine and people who do mods are most likely to address the issue with a cooling kit (Evo or Klee), phenolic spacers (Evo), new pump (often Johnson marine), +10 degree software mod or other minor methods.

You are right about the IC pumps being the week point. That just proves my point when I say be careful with the ASP pulley, as it can be harmful to your engine for that very reason!

Your theoretical comment about possible harm is true, but it cannot be limited to one product as you did, it happens with the factory pulley more often than with after market pullies.
It can be limited to one product when you put that one product (ASP pulley) on a stock SL55 with no cooling upgrade, as you stated above! So again, I will say, be careful with the ASP pulley because it can be harmful to your engine!

Last edited by mikesneaks; 04-05-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:20 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Ive heared Rumours that Renntech might be increasing their prices in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Ive heared Rumours that Renntech might be increasing their prices in a couple of weeks.
That would suck, as they are already expensive enough!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mikesneaks
That would suck, as they are already expensive enough!
I know, not only that but all of the Mb tuners are expensive, I was thinking of getting Headers for my SLK but they are very expensive, which isnt worth it for 20hp & 20tq.

Prices around 4,800-5,000dollars for a set.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I know, not only that but all of the Mb tuners are expensive, I was thinking of getting Headers for my SLK but they are very expensive, which isnt worth it for 20hp & 20tq.

Wow, that is one expensive upgrade!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:41 AM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts

Did you check with Evo?
I think their headers for the E55 were $2,800.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by DFW911T
Did you check with Evo?
I think their headers for the E55 were $2,800.
They dont have headers for my SLK55 becasue they mostly concentrate on the SuperCharged 55's SL,CLS,CL,S,E,G etc.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
theboogers is infamous around these parts
i have a 03 sl55 with the asp pulleys, speedtuningusa ecu work, 80 mm vruss throttle body and i am putting in the slr camshafts. i haven't had any problems with heat, but replaced pump anyway. car is very improved. visit mbworld forum and check out e55 amg info. don't waste your money on higher priced renntech or kleeman for the same products.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by theboogers
i have a 03 sl55 with the asp pulleys, speedtuningusa ecu work, 80 mm vruss throttle body and i am putting in the slr camshafts. i haven't had any problems with heat, but replaced pump anyway. car is very improved. visit mbworld forum and check out e55 amg info. don't waste your money on higher priced renntech or kleeman for the same products.
Good move with the SLR Cams, Hope you enjoy your car even more and take care. going to be very very fast.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 PM
BlownSLK55 is infamous around these parts

I bought my Kleemann Headers (and hi flow Cats) for $3.3k. Headers alone should run ~ $2.5k.....where are you getting your quote?

-Matt

Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 AM
tws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to all
I am running a Kleeman K2 plus high flow cats and upgraded throttle bodies and I dynod 510 rwhp on my CLS55. I also have a cooling upgrade as well which is an absolute must. Tstat mod and johnson pump are cheap and effective. I am really happy. There is a cheaper way that yields nice results. ASP pully, plus powerchip software and Evo shorty headers will work nice. ASP pulley plus custom tuned K2 software from Kleeman is what some people are looking at right now. For my money I really liked Kleeman because Corey will tweak the tune to your car. His tweaks after my throttle body mods made about 28 more rwhp and a really nice a/f ratio

Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
i couldnt find an ASP pulley for the SL55 at and ASP site... where to find it?!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 PM
ROCKETW19 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
i couldnt find an ASP pulley for the SL55 at and ASP site... where to find it?!
any 55 pully will work.
check evotechs pully same size as asp, better built and ECU tunning to go with it. at a competive price.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best online sites for tuning products for SL55 AMG