Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

The AMG Badge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Jedidiah is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RPM
zamirz is correct as i said above...you can order a car from MB with a sports package (ie AMG kit but not engine) and from the factory, it will have an AMG badge along with the SL500, S500 etc..
This is correct. There are plenty of Merc drivers that could care-less about whether or not their car has an AMG badge on it or not. They are not car nuts like us, and simply live in the fact that they own a Merc, period.

Mercedes does this from the factory, and is used as a cheap marketing ploy, but it is only us "car guys" who notice or care for that matter.

Hell I saw a 06 E350 driving the other day with an AMG badge, and right below it was the dealership badge. Obviously the woman driving it could have cared less what the badge says or what it represents.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 AM
H-MAN is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jedidiah
This is correct. There are plenty of Merc drivers that could care-less about whether or not their car has an AMG badge on it or not. They are not car nuts like us, and simply live in the fact that they own a Merc, period.

Mercedes does this from the factory, and is used as a cheap marketing ploy, but it is only us "car guys" who notice or care for that matter.

Hell I saw a 06 E350 driving the other day with an AMG badge, and right below it was the dealership badge. Obviously the woman driving it could have cared less what the badge says or what it represents.
Sorry, Wrong.

As said by many others earlier. The factory does not add an AMG badge for clicking the option for the sport package or wheels or anything else. The AMG badge is only placed on real AMG cars from the factory. Every other Mercedes (non-AMG engined cars) with AMG badges were added by the dealer or the owners.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by H-MAN
Sorry, Wrong.

As said by many others earlier. The factory does not add an AMG badge for clicking the option for the sport package or wheels or anything else. The AMG badge is only placed on real AMG cars from the factory. Every other Mercedes (non-AMG engined cars) with AMG badges were added by the dealer or the owners.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say this, but do you work for Mercedes? Just curious as to where you sourced your info is all. More then happy to admit I was wrong on this issue, I just find it hard to believe as many Mercs as I see with an AMG package and badge running around, that all these owners or even dealers are putting on these badges?

Again, not trying to pick a fight, but sincerely curious about your source for the above statement.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 AM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say this, but do you work for Mercedes? Just curious as to where you sourced your info is all. More then happy to admit I was wrong on this issue, I just find it hard to believe as many Mercs as I see with an AMG package and badge running around, that all these owners or even dealers are putting on these badges?

Again, not trying to pick a fight, but sincerely curious about your source for the above statement.
You are wrong, just accept it. My sources: Experience and several AMG reps. Why dont you just contact them and ask? People put the AMG badge or have the dealership put the AMG badge on non AMG cars as a status symbol. Just like some BMW owners put M emblems on their non M cars. Why do you think there are soo many badges sold when there arent even that many AMG's. I think they said something like they sold 10 times the number of badges than they sold the actual AMG cars.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
You are wrong, just accept it. My sources: Experience and several AMG reps. Why dont you just contact them and ask? People put the AMG badge or have the dealership put the AMG badge on non AMG cars as a status symbol. Just like some BMW owners put M emblems on their non M cars. Why do you think there are soo many badges sold when there arent even that many AMG's. I think they said something like they sold 10 times the number of badges than they sold the actual AMG cars.
Well, as you do own an AMG, I will concede to you and choose not to argue this further. I will state however that you do seem to have just a lil bias towards your stance, as being an actual owner of a 55 and don't want the legitmacy of your car tarnished. Honestly, I can't say that I blame you. Enjoy.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 AM
H-MAN is infamous around these parts

No problem. This discussion has occurred many times on many other forums. I don't work for Mercedes but I have owned a CLK55 AMG for a long time now. When you own one you know (or should know) what qualifies a car to wear the AMG badge. I'm sure an owner of a 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 knows what makes a real GT350 as apposed to the guy who buys the 6 cyl mustang and paints it to look the GT350. I'd recommend you drop by the AMG web site and do a little research.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
I wish I had a camera the other day, saw an '05 ml320 with an ml55 and amg badge, what a joke!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:27 PM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
Well, as you do own an AMG, I will concede to you and choose not to argue this further. I will state however that you do seem to have just a lil bias towards your stance, as being an actual owner of a 55 and don't want the legitmacy of your car tarnished. Honestly, I can't say that I blame you. Enjoy.
Yes, I can be a little biased but I own a CLK430 that came with AMG body kit and rims but no AMG badge. I also own a CLK55 and it came with an AMG badge. I actually brought this up with an AMG rep at last years AMGfest at the AMG North America headquarters. They said that no car is badged as an AMG unless it is a true AMG. No amount of additional AMG parts would qualify for a AMG badge from the factory.
Unfortunately there are alot of people who stick AMG badges on their cars and to a non car enthusiast would probably pass as one. I know alot of people in this area do it and I get asked all the time whether both my CLK's are AMG's or not (No AMG badging on either one). I even used to get asked if my 300E was an AMG

Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RPM
wrong. period (unless, im the only one who has ever experienced this)
RPM I pulled this info from the Mercedes-Benz website. They specifically addressed the issue. I'd quote it again but they did a new AMG site now and nixed the old one which had the FAQ. This may be something done without you actually requesting it.

I don't want to get into a pissing match, but I've owned plenty of MBs and been to dealerships many, many times. At my particular dealership I have never seen an AMG badge on a non-AMG car there. CLK sport, SL sport, S sport, doesn't matter. Why would only SOME sport cars come AMG badged, and some not? AMG ran out of badges? So a search on eBay right not for an AMG kit'd non AMG car and I guarantee you'll see plenty w/ no AMG badging.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 05-24-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM
brn2bn1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Why would only SOME sport cars come AMG badged, and some not? AMG ran out of badges? So a search on eBay right not for an AMG kit'd non AMG car and I guarantee you'll see plenty w/ no AMG badging.

-m
Wow, I was about to say the same thing but went back to quote someone and saw your post.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:07 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Yes, AMG badges do NOT come on sport package equipped cars, period.

Just because you see an AMG badge on a fake, or 2 or 10, does not mean they are like that. Contrary, you can find plenty sport package cars without the badge. As said above, they did not run out. Instead, the factory does NOT put the badge on, but dealers or owners do.

Not sure how this is still being debated... Check eBay or anywhere else.

Jedidiah - I didn't even know the E350 had a sports package option. If that is the case, are you now saying that ALL Mercedes, sports and non alike, have the AMG badge? Or does this further support that dealers are putting them on? * Just checked MBUSA.com. There is in fact no AMG sport package available for the E350, so my assertion remains.

Last edited by WyattH; 05-24-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:17 PM
ShelleE55 is infamous around these parts
For those he really want to put the issue to bed the next AMG Chat session with product managers takes place on May 30th....

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...=8386#post8386

Old 05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
RPM
RPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
RPM I pulled this info from the Mercedes-Benz website. They specifically addressed the issue. I'd quote it again but they did a new AMG site now and nixed the old one which had the FAQ. This may be something done without you actually requesting it.

I don't want to get into a pissing match, but I've owned plenty of MBs and been to dealerships many, many times. At my particular dealership I have never seen an AMG badge on a non-AMG car there. CLK sport, SL sport, S sport, doesn't matter. Why would only SOME sport cars come AMG badged, and some not? AMG ran out of badges? So a search on eBay right not for an AMG kit'd non AMG car and I guarantee you'll see plenty w/ no AMG badging.

-m
M Frost, blackbenz, H-man - i understand what you guys are saying and dont refute it but i saw my car come from port in 2001. i saw it before it was delivered to my mass dealership. it had an amg badge. so whether the factory, a delaership in germany, the crew loading the car, or the captain of the container ship placed the badge on my car, it was there when it got to port leading me to believe that the factory put it on...

all im saying, is in my case, no dealer in the US and i especially did not put it on my own car...

i do appreciate all input from those with 55's but i know what i saw.

Ross

Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 AM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
What kind of Mercedes was it? ^ Was it your S500?

I don't know what to say. I trust you, but can't answer your confusion.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:42 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...QQcmdZViewItem

Couldn't find any E500 Sport's with the AMG kit.

S, CLS, C, CL, CLK, SLK

One from each of the main classes. I simply went to eBay motors, typed in "x### sport" and clicked on the FIRST LISTING. I don't see an AMG badge on any of them. Did each of these owners coincidentally remove their AMG badges?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The AMG Badge