Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

To all E63/E55 owners.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Kingofcars is infamous around these parts
To all E63/E55 owners.....

I am considering an E63 or a preowned E55 for my daily.

While I am seeking high performance (obviously), comfort is high on the list.

That being said, how harsh is the ride over various conditions?

At my age (older than most of you), I want luxury and comfort with my performance.

My 2000 M5 was great, however my 2003 M3 was pretty rough.

I do plan on test driving the E63 over the next few days, but it's hard to make a call on a test drive, that's why I'd love to get an opinion from longer-term owners.

Thanks in advance.

King

Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Well its the most comfortable car ive ever owned thats for sure... very nice seats, and well padded - handling is acutally amazing for a car of its heft imo, i dont track it so for the handling i do, its great - the ride has 3 settings and i always drive it on the harshest setting, to get the best handling contols outta it, yet when its on comfort mode as its called, its very nice and glides

i have an e55 and its very very fast - i also have an sl55 and its much slower in feeling, the e55 feels lights handles light and is quick as most anything out there stock for stock - faster then the e63 too as many videos have proven - its a wonderful car and one of the best ive had - wish it looked as good as the SL55 though then i would drive it more then i do the SL which is what im in all the time these days ahh summer

Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Vadim@GMGRacing
Kingofcars:

Either E55 or E63 can be driven in C-comfort mode and have a ride of regular E-class. Smooth and plush.

Having driven and tuned numerous examples of both models:

E55 - which at this time you can only get as used - currently has more potential in terms all out power. 600HP have been done a number of times and 700HP level is being developed as we speak. Handling, however, is nowhere near M-levels.

E63 - is currently limited to 550HP, with more upgrades in R&D. Handling is not that far-off E60M5.

Good Luck with your choice.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
fish5225 is infamous around these parts
Talking

Having traded in my 03 x-50 TT because I wanted a nicer ride over the crappy interstate in Colorado, I couldn't be happier with the E63. Just a great ride, fun with power. I do miss the turbo chargers at my altitude but I don't miss the turbo. If they really do turbo this new engine, I will be hooked for life. Bottom line, perfect for your description.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
First, I have a Bedlington also, so I feel that my opinion inherently carries more weight than others.

I also have a 2006 E55 with over 19,000 miles, so I have quote a bit of experience with the car.

The ride, even in 'comfort' mode is harsher than an an S-class. It's definitely not a luxo-cruiser. However, it's not as harsh as a 911 either. IMHO, it's the perfect compromise between a luxury sedan and a sports car. The E55, while sporty, is considered smoother than an M5 or Audi S6.

No offense, but it's the perfect "old man's" sport sedan.

My biggest complaint is loud tire noise. I imagine this can be fixed by dumping the standard Continental SportContacts.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
If get a CLS 55 or CLS 63, just a more solid of a car