Merchandise For Sale / Wanted Sell anything LEGAL and not car related in this section. A great source to find deals on watches, art, services, and more

Needed: Old Mac Laptop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Needed: Old Mac Laptop

Hey guys

Like an idiot, I decided to help my friend's daughter's boyfriend...I say 'like an idiot as I had no idea what I would be getting involved with", I never met him but my friend tell me he is a great kid from a poor family with no money, etc. and did I have any old computers for him to use in school..

Well, I have so much crap around here I figured I could find something..So I promised the kid an old iBook..I have two of them that were my kids..First one DOA...no power, probably bad logic board..

Next one was working..so I brought the computer to their house on Thanksgiving and while there, reformatted it and started to prepare it for the kids boyfriend..Lo and behold the iBook kept freezing up..Took it home and it worked perfectly..

Reinstalled the system software and all seemed fine..But as I was downloaded iTunes, it froze up again..

I gave up and brought it to a local repair shop who tells me he believes it's the logic board or possibly a problem connected to the fan not working properly and when the computer gets hot, it locks up.

I have about 8 hours invested in this goddamned thing, not to mention $50 for diagnosis at the least..

But I gave my word to get the kid a laptop and I have to follow thru.

Does anyone have any experience with problems like this? Would an intermittent fan create this problem? I have a feeling this is just going to be one of those lingering problems if you know what i mean..

Anyone have an old ibook for parts or something very cheap for me to buy the kid..

SOmetimes ya just can't win..

Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 AM
JCC296 is infamous around these parts
what's your budget?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
liquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond repute
Wow

It's actually shocking to find out there are good people in this world.

Especially shocking to find good people from New Jersey .

You sir... are a gentlemen.

I don't have an old iBook, but I wish you luck in finding one.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
Is the iBook the funky colored one? I have a blue Mac somewhere I think.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
and exactly how much wine had you consumed before you made this magnanimous offer? I wish I could help...but other than the fan being a possible culprit...another possibility is a hairline crack in a trace on the logic board that gets separated when it is hot...good luck

Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
If I get a new one for Christmas, you can have the one I am typing on now, its a 1.5Ghz PPC G4 ti, 10.5.5 and 2G ram, good drive, wireless etc.. I've literally been to hell and back with it (Been all over the middle east enduring 140+ deg, sandstorms, helicopters, cargo planes, under fire etc...its NEVER failed me:-). How soon do you need it?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
My wife does volunteer work for a local charity. They're raising money by selling Mac laptops that a local company donated to them. I think she has the following still available:

PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz, 768MB RAM, 56GB HD -- $450
PowerBook G4 15" 867MHz, 1 GB RAM, 37GB HD -- $450
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz, 1 GB RAM, 56GB HD, screen is a little spotty -- $350
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz, 768MB RAM, 56GB HD, screen is a little spotty -- $350
iBook G4 15" 500MHz, 640MB RAM, 9GB HD -- $300

Shipping not included.

I have personally fired up each of these machines to gather the above specs. I can vouch only for the fact that they startup fine and the screens work (except as noted above). Otherwise, they are sold as-is. They are not in mint condition. They're used and as such the cases show signs of wear; some even have small dents.

I'm by no means pushing these -- just giving you an option.

Checks would be made out to the charity.

As an IS manager, I can tell you that I would not bother trying to diagnose an intermittently failing old iBook (assuming you've narrowed it down to hardware -- software would be an easy fix). Probably more trouble than it's worth. Donate it to a school that takes broken computers, trains kids to fix them, then passes them along to others in need. I can help you find a place like this if you like the idea.

Last edited by ELMEL; 12-05-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:28 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Anyone need this? (See quoted) I can wipe and reload S/W, it sits and collects dust with my new MacBook on duty.

Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
If I get a new one for Christmas, you can have the one I am typing on now, its a 1.5Ghz PPC G4 ti, 10.5.5 and 2G ram, good drive, wireless etc.. I've literally been to hell and back with it (Been all over the middle east enduring 140+ deg, sandstorms, helicopters, cargo planes, under fire etc...its NEVER failed me:-). How soon do you need it?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Mr.Tarheel is infamous around these parts
D33PBLU3

Still have this available? I cannot PM. Please email me steven.senzer@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mr.Tarheel; 06-10-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 PM
I do, I'll email.

Originally Posted by Mr.Tarheel
D33PBLU3

Still have this available? I cannot PM. Please email me steven.senzer@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
No Good deed goes unpunished. I had an old white iBook repaired, cost me about $200, spent hours tweaking it, etc. The computer is nothing but a problem and I have to replace it..I have the most beautiful thank you note with a pic of the kid here to remind me to do this...argh..

Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
If anyone is interested, I will be selling a white Macbook 2.16Ghz w/ 4Gig Ram. 250GB Harddrive if the near future.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by e.giftshoppe
You are such a gentleman sir. You help people that you don't even knew. And also you stand up for your promise to him. Hope you can fix it.

I will feel bad banning you for your user name and signature!

sorry!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 PM
jgh1987 is infamous around these parts
I have a 2001 Dual USB iBook with 10 or 15GB drive (cant remember) and 320mb of memory. pretty old machine but it does boot up and run, it has an airport card as well.

i'd let it go ridiculously cheap especially if it was going to someone that actually needs it

Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Control It
Thank you for saying that!

I will feel bad banning you for your user name and signature!

sorry!
lol, i shouldve kept reading before flagging the post

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Needed: Old Mac Laptop