Pulled over in VA...no idea what my fine is

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mikelly
You joke, but my youngest is 20 and we just bought him a new car... His record is so bad that he's now paying $400 per month on a 2008 Toyota Corolla. That's $4800 per year unless he gets insurance under "dad's" policy!

Mike
I wasn't joking....the car I had before the Mustang was a 1990 Civic hatchback. I had it for 10 months and I put 12,000 miles on it, the whole time driving on an expired registration :lol: And honestly I drove 80-85 on the highway everywhere I went.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I just got tagged for 75 in a 55 in MD but I am sure I wasnt going that fast. I was switching lanes (minivan in front of me in far left and I was moving to the "slow" lane) and there is no way he could have clocked me since the minivan was blocking his sight the whole way. My friend was behind me doing 65 as well. I asked the officer how he could have gotten me without getting the minivan and his answer was "My aim isnt that bad" to which I asked if I could see the laser reading and he refused. I think I'm going to go to court for it (in MD). How much does insurance usually go up for a violation like that?
Go to court and fight it. You probably don't even need a lawyer, MD courts are usually lenient depending on your record. Just don't be a ******bag in court. Be respectful and stuff and you'll get probation and have to pay the fine.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:59 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
GEEZ, it seems like everyone is getting a ticket these days.

Ahmad, dependent on your driving record, age, insurance carrier, gender (obviously us males are screwed in this category), offense and other circumstances, it could go anywhere from nothing to doubling your insurance. Seeing that this douchbag of a cop (which MOST cops are not) was purely profiling you b/c of your car. I'm assuming it was the Kleemann, if not the S4 I'm sure was just as much of a target. I would get your speedometer calibrated in addition to bringing your friend who was following you at 65 into court with you as well as a witness. Try to draw out in your own mind to the best of your ability on a piece of paper what the scenario was and the scalable distances to where you, the minivan, your friend, the cop, etc was located. I've seen this done in court without legal representation and the judge was impressed by the details so much that he dropped the case (the cop had nothing). You can say that the minivan was tossing up dirt, rocks, chips, etc onto your car and you were switching lanes, kids were tossing things out of the window. You had to get out of the way, blah blah blah blah.

Just my $.02. Let us know how it turns out. G/L Buddy.

Berk

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I just got tagged for 75 in a 55 in MD but I am sure I wasnt going that fast. I was switching lanes (minivan in front of me in far left and I was moving to the "slow" lane) and there is no way he could have clocked me since the minivan was blocking his sight the whole way. My friend was behind me doing 65 as well. I asked the officer how he could have gotten me without getting the minivan and his answer was "My aim isnt that bad" to which I asked if I could see the laser reading and he refused. I think I'm going to go to court for it (in MD). How much does insurance usually go up for a violation like that?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
VA is gay

Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
i got pulled over for going 23 over 45 mph zone but cop was nice enough to drop me down to 20 over.
if he wrote you a reckless ticket, you should get a lawyer but if it's just a speeding ticket, just pay the fine.
i got that ticket when i was 18 so i had to take the class (no option and it wasn't for points) and insurance cost remained same.
i think it was 6 points...not really sure...

Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I got pulled over this friday doing 29 over the speed limit(not sure how true that was) but he gave me a ticket doing 19 over so it wouldn't be reckless driving. They have gotton smart by trying to clock you for more than lowering it and giving you a ticket for lesser penalty so you think he did you a favor. I still think he's a bastard. Like he was doing me a favor. Damn pigs.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
gregger09 is infamous around these parts
Wow...its been some time since I have been on 6speed....none the less.

First of VA is horrible for tickets (I wouldnt nor could ever live there for that reason alone)

I was pulled over 2 years ago in Newport News VA. I was clocked at 28 over. Left work early one day, took the next day off, paid for a damn hotel, got a lawyer, and presented myself very well...........I still got the book thrown at me!

Now, here is my understanding:

The infraction will transfer to MD, but the point system does not line up. I believe the ticket will show up on your driving record but no points will be given.

To this day I dont really know anything except my insurance is still the same.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:51 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You should have asked to see the radar/lazer gun, or atleast what type of speed detection he used. If it was Lidar, you were probably over and in that case, yea he was doing you a favor. I know several cops who have taken people to jail for that much over. Va. is extremely hard on speeders, but hey one look in any of the local papers shows two things... Population explosion and congestion, and bad accidents.

My car is making well over 500Wheel HP and I constantly have to check the speedo. It's gotten to the point that I just set it on cruise... My line of thought is that I'll save the money spent on legal fees and jacked up insurance rates and just go to the track and do HPDEs. I can hit 170mph once per lap for 4 30 minute sessions per day, three days in a row at any PCA event held where my car can stretch her legs... Thats enough "speeding" for me... The legal way.

Mike

Originally Posted by rah79
I got pulled over this friday doing 29 over the speed limit(not sure how true that was) but he gave me a ticket doing 19 over so it wouldn't be reckless driving. They have gotton smart by trying to clock you for more than lowering it and giving you a ticket for lesser penalty so you think he did you a favor. I still think he's a bastard. Like he was doing me a favor. Damn pigs.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:35 PM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
You should have asked to see the radar/lazer gun
I asked the officer that pulled me over and he refused to show me the readout

Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well He was being the proverbial ****. I have a personal issue with cops, and it's kinda "funny" because my degree and first five years of professional work as an adult were in law enforcement. Many of these TOOLS think they're god and figure they can do whatever... My youngest stepson was pulled by two state troopers and illegally searched... We had fun with those fools...

Bottom line is when you get pulled by a cop, don't allow them to have ammo... Don't talk to them beyond "license" and "registration". If you have questions for them, ask away, but DO NOT ANSWER. They want to engage you in conversation... They will use that conversation in court against you.

Know the rules before you play their game...

And uh... FTP!!!

Mike

Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
lax01 is infamous around these parts
Bottom line is when you get pulled by a cop, don't allow them to have ammo... Don't talk to them beyond "license" and "registration". If you have questions for them, ask away, but DO NOT ANSWER. They want to engage you in conversation... They will use that conversation in court against you.
Damn straight...they are asking you questions that will incriminate yourself. Aka, "How fast do you think you were going?" is really a "Are you going to make my life easy and admit to this crime right here?

And uh... FTP!!!
2nd! Catch the murderers, not the people doing 15mph over the speedlimit!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:31 PM
well I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way of VA cops. I swear they must get off with themselves everytime they pull someone over. All cops are jerks, they all act the same and probably 1 out of 15 are nice.

They don't care about real crime...they just want to make money pulling people over who aren't even driving recklessly. There was barely anyone on the road and it wasn't like I was weaving in and out of traffic.

I can't even go 5 over the speed limit in VA cause I know they will be hiding somewhere. Its' gotten to the point where I don't even want to drive anywhere unless I have to.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
Wow, sounds like you guys in Virginia need to vote for Barack or Hillary on Tuesday- oh, wait, they'll both raise your taxes, but at least Barack will do it nicely. Or there's Sen. John "bomb,bomb,bomb, bomb,bomb Iran" McCain, I think he'll raise taxes too while saying he won't.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I stay out of politics...they are all crooks. I know I will get raped either way so I just take it like a man

Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 AM
This isn't just a Virginia Phenominon.

Cops who work "traffic" are revenue generators for their municipality. They bring in large streams of revenue.

Cops who work traffic will engage you in conversation for the sake of intelligence data they will then turn and use on you...

"Why were you speeding?" is a classic example of a question you should never answer with anything other than "I am not guilty and am not admitting guilt".

"Where are you going in such a hurry?" I'm not in a hurry.

"Do you know how fast you were going?" I know exactly how fast I was going.

"How fast WERE you going?" I know how fast I was going. How fast do you think I was going.

Never give them info. It will come back on you in court. These officers are representatives of the court, and therefore a judge will not want to hear how you think they are twisting the truth. The judge won't want to hear that the officer has lied. He will only listen to the officer.

When I was at the Federal Law Enforcement Academy over 2 decades ago, they stressed that whole approach of extracting data anytime someone was detained on the side of the road. So keep that in mind... They've improved their techniques in the last two decades. They have the power to throw any of us in jail unjustly and can ruin the life you have grown to enjoy. Don't violate your own chances of staying out of jail by opening your mouth and "trying to help" yourself out of a bad situation.

Remember, its not a crime to not answer the questions. As long as you give them your license and registration and keep your hands in plain site. Be polite, and minimally cooperative. But don't give anymore than you have to. And if need be, tell them that you know exactly what they're trying to do and you choose not to participate in giving them data to use against you in front of their buddy the judge.

And yea... **** The Police (FTP).
Mike

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
This isn't just a Virginia Phenominon.

Cops who work "traffic" are revenue generators for their municipality. They bring in large streams of revenue.

Cops who work traffic will engage you in conversation for the sake of intelligence data they will then turn and use on you...

"Why were you speeding?" is a classic example of a question you should never answer with anything other than "I am not guilty and am not admitting guilt".

"Where are you going in such a hurry?" I'm not in a hurry.

"Do you know how fast you were going?" I know exactly how fast I was going.

"How fast WERE you going?" I know how fast I was going. How fast do you think I was going.

Never give them info. It will come back on you in court. These officers are representatives of the court, and therefore a judge will not want to hear how you think they are twisting the truth. The judge won't want to hear that the officer has lied. He will only listen to the officer.

When I was at the Federal Law Enforcement Academy over 2 decades ago, they stressed that whole approach of extracting data anytime someone was detained on the side of the road. So keep that in mind... They've improved their techniques in the last two decades. They have the power to throw any of us in jail unjustly and can ruin the life you have grown to enjoy. Don't violate your own chances of staying out of jail by opening your mouth and "trying to help" yourself out of a bad situation.

Remember, its not a crime to not answer the questions. As long as you give them your license and registration and keep your hands in plain site. Be polite, and minimally cooperative. But don't give anymore than you have to. And if need be, tell them that you know exactly what they're trying to do and you choose not to participate in giving them data to use against you in front of their buddy the judge.

And yea... **** The Police (FTP).
Mike
My cop didn't even engage me in that kinda conversation. He said "license and registration," I gave them to him, he took them, came back in 10 minutes with a ticket that he didn't even explain to me.

I had to ask him what I did wrong lol. And when he told me the speed I was "supposedly" doing, I was in total disbelief because I was looking for a street sign in an area that was unfamiliar to me....no way in hell I was doing 23 over the speed limit. But whatever.....**** 'em. I hope he gets AIDS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled over in VA...no idea what my fine is