Tow Truck Damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Immo is infamous around these parts
Tow Truck Damage

I am looking for any/all input ideas... This is an e-mail I sent to the Road Side Assistance company, American Express, and the Tow Truck's Insurance company:

On February 28th 2008, at 8:05 AM EST (According to the time/day stamp on my cell phone), I called American Express (Amex) Global Assistance to provide roadside assistance. My Black 2 door 1985 Saab 900 had broken down on the side of Battlefield Parkway between Evergreen Mills Road and the Dulles Greenway in Leesburg, VA. After speaking to Amex, I called my wife to come and pick me up and Paul Hooper at International Motors to let him know the car was being towed in for repair. A Double D Tow Truck with Virginia License Plate number "Repo God" picked up my car at about 8:45 AM. I later found out that this was the owner of Double D towing, a Mr Edward "Danny" Huffman. My wife was also present when the car was picked up and she is certain with out a doubt that there was no damage to the car when it was picked up on by Mr. Huffman. Mr Huffman has told Coach-Net and myself that he does not recall seeing any damage when he picked up the car.

I got a phone call from Paul Hooper at International Motors Dulles at 9:43 AM (According to the time/day stamp on my cell phone), stating that car was just dropped off by Mr Huffman and there was significant damage done to the (Drivers side) rear tail light, Quarter panel, and bumper. Mr Hooper's exact words were the the "Damage looked fresh". Mr Hooper has been in the Auto repair industry for over 20 years, and is the General Manager of International Motors Dulles.

Unprovoked by me, Mr Huffman called my cell phone at 9:50 AM, denying any wrong doing, using explicit language through out our conversation.

Again, Mr Huffman has told Coach-Net and myself that he does not recall seeing any damage when he picked up the car. Mr Huffman did admit to both parties that there was damage to the car when he dropped it off at International Motors. Mr Huffman is as previously stated is the Owner of Double D Towing, and the driver who picked up my car. In today's day and age, an owner of a company is always looking for ways to limit ones liability. Once again he had a clear view of the entire rear of the car from at least 50 yards away. The amount of damage that was documented as soon as the car arrived at International Motors would have been impossible to miss from 50 yards away.

The speed limit on Battlefield Parkway where the car was broken down on the side of the road is 35 MPH, so he was not traveling at a high rate of speed. Mr Huffman approached the car from the rear. Not to mention he was looking for a black Saab 900.

By looking at the pictures taken by International Motors, there are several pieces of broken tail light lens sitting on the bumper and inside the tail light housing. Mr Huffman stated he took the Dulles Greenway from Leesburg (Exit 1) to Old Ox Road Exit (About 12 miles). With the types of tow truck, (Integrated /Self Loader/ Snatcher/Quick Pick/ Repo Truck) the speed limit on the Dulles Greenway (65 MPH), and the laws of physics and gravity (The car was leaning backwards and many hills and curves on the Greenway), there is no way the small pieces of tail light lens that are clearly visible in the photos could/would have stayed in tact for 12 miles of Highway speeds.
Here are a few photos of the Greenway.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...iver6_t600.JPG
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-...6091600031.jpg
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-d...5083102434.jpg
http://www.dewberry.com/uploadedImag...nway-130px.jpg

The car was picked up about 100 Yards from the East Bound ramp to the Dulles Greenway.

Upon request, I can take more pictures of not only the scene of where the car was picked up, but also of the many curves and hills of the Dulles Greenway if needed.

The distance from the Dulles Greenway Old Ox Exit to International Motors according to Mapquest.com is about 7.21 Miles. International Motors is located in a highly industrial area, with many semi trailers parked on the side of the road.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Here are the pictures:

Old 03-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Bach 997 is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear about your car.

A few years back a loaner BMW I was driving was being towed and in the process the center of the rear bumper was damaged. When I went to pick it up I noticed the damage and asked to speak to the manager. As expected the lies began with the manager isn't hear, call this number in a few hours and he'll get back to you. I tried calling for a few days and miraculously every time I called, and I called several times a day, he was never there. I returned the loaner a week later and told the a service representative the story. He called the number I was given and told them that he was the service manager from BMW and that they had damaged one of his cars. The manager was supposedly on the phone but within 15 minutes he called the BMW service manager back. I told the service manager that I had been calling them on an hourly basis for an entire week and no one would take my call or call me back. He smiled and said, "well thats because they know I'll sue their ***"

My recommendation to you would be have your lawyer send them a letter threatening legal action unless they pay for the damages they cause. Make sure you mention to your lawyer all the facts and make sure Mr. Hooper is will to help.

Good luck with everything, hope this helped.

Note: Don't wait too long before you take any action, it will only complicate things and frustrate you further.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:18 AM
The Tow Truck's Insurance company denied the claim, BUT Aex is going to pay the bill...

Old 03-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Bach 997 is infamous around these parts
That sucks