Last Gasp for the Church of the Holy Donut in Maryland?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
TAPOUT is infamous around these parts
Does anyone want to caravan from Virginia up to this on Sunday?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:20 PM
karmakvisser is infamous around these parts
Come on out!

It appears that we have until the end of August at the current location. The past few weeks have been some of the best ever seen at the donut shop. Don't miss out. We had some incredible cars last week. Check out the blown Mustang and El Camino!

Hope to see you there.

ken

Old 08-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Estoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really nice
I was there this morning. One yellow C4S, a red Ferrari and another red Ferrari seen on the back roads from Olney.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
patpur is infamous around these parts
Hello everyone. New here. I've been a diehard "church goer" for the past 3 years. I'll miss the Burtonsville lot but the way we keep this going is simply show up at the new place. Last Sunday 8/3 was probably one of the best I've been to, just an amazing amount of people and cars. Lets not let this die.
Pat
05 Crossfire Ltd Coupe.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Has it moved to the new location across the street?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Estoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really nice
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Has it moved to the new location across the street?
Not yet.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:32 AM
end of september

A recent article in the Montgomery Gazette mentioned that the owner will allow the Amish to stay in its present location until the end of September. It seems to be a moving target. We really won't know until the fences are thrown up. At that point, I'll make an announcement here as to the move to the other side of the street.

Meanwhile, each week is bringing more and more cars out. There is always something new showing up.

come on out while you can!

regards

ken

Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Ken - So we should disregard the sign in the window that says they are open through August?
A buddy of mines company has placed a bid on the demo of the center and that was just submitted. If I hear anything on this end I'll keep you posted. He's seen the bluprint for the new center and its huge, includes the lot with all the play equipment and outdoor bldgs next door.
Pat

Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
interesting...

Originally Posted by patpur
Ken - So we should disregard the sign in the window that says they are open through August?
A buddy of mines company has placed a bid on the demo of the center and that was just submitted. If I hear anything on this end I'll keep you posted. He's seen the bluprint for the new center and its huge, includes the lot with all the play equipment and outdoor bldgs next door.
Pat
That's real interesting. It so cool how information can weave itself to the surface. Who would have thunk that knowledge of the demo company for this particular site would come up. Does your friend know if they are doing a total demolition or will the post office remain intact until its new location is functional?

The owner does have ambitious plans for the site including potentially a large box store where the shed/play equipment business is located.

Here is the article which talks about the extension of the lease for the Amish folks. It is copied from the Gazette website:

The Dutch County Farmers Market will live to see another day in Burtonsville.
The popular Amish and Mennonite market was scheduled to close at the end of August, but manager Sam Beiler said he received notice Thursday from the land's owner, Christopher Jones of Bethesda-based BMC Property Group, that the market can stay through September and possibly later.

The market has been in the Burtonsville Shopping Center, at 15642 Columbia Pike, for 21 years. Jones has plans to redevelop the shopping center and put a yet unnamed grocery store in the market's place.

Beiler said he didn't ask for an extension. And despite repeated calls, Jones was unavailable for comment.

The Dutch market announced in April it would be leaving this summer, but since June, the date has changed from month to month.
Beiler said staying open beyond the summer will prevent downtime between the move from Burtonsville to its new location in Laurel. The managers have chosen the site of an old furniture store, Galaxy Furniture, at 9701 Fort Meade Road in Laurel.
The new location won't be far from the old one- just five miles west on 198.

Beiler and another manager, Gideon Yoder, said they signed the lease for the new store at the end of March and have been working on permitting issues since then. It should be ready in three to four months, Beiler said.

And while the move is bittersweet, Beiler said at 23,000 square feet, the new market will be twice the size of the Burtonsville location.

The added space will allow for bigger aisles, more products and faster service. Employees won't have to run out back to storage every time they need supplies, Beiler said.
"It will be more sufficient," he said.

And despite the location's new interior, Beiler said the market will keep its "country atmosphere."
But hanging in limbo without a definite closing date can be difficult, Beiler and Yoder said.
"It gets kind of confusing for everybody," Beiler said.

Beiler said some employees were looking for new jobs for the few months the market will be closed but now they may not have to. And Yoder said it's been difficult to keep up maintenance when they might leave at the end of every month.
But now, "we've got our second wind back," Yoder said.

Market workers haven't been the only ones confused. Customers were surprised to learn that the signs posted around the store saying Aug. 30 was the close date were wrong.

Justin Goglia, a Burtonsville resident for 30 years, who frequents the market's small restaurant, said during a visit Thursday that he loves the market and would follow it to Laurel.

"Wherever they move, I'll go," he said.

For updates on the Dutch County Farmer's Market, visit www.burtonsvilledutchmarket.
com or call 301-421-1454.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Ken - are you the photog guy that's there every week? Just wondering. My buddy described the plans and did not mention how the demo would go down. I've heard the center will be demolished up to the post office and when they get the new place up and running then the PO will re locate to the new bldg and then they will tear that (the old PO)down.
SO who knows. If I hear anything I'll pass it on. My buddy, Pat is at Woodward this weekend. We both have Crossfires. I'll be there this Sunday lets try and hook up and say hello. If you are the photog then I know who you are, I'll find you.
Pat

Old 08-15-2008, 02:01 PM
yep

Originally Posted by patpur
Ken - are you the photog guy that's there every week? Just wondering. My buddy described the plans and did not mention how the demo would go down. I've heard the center will be demolished up to the post office and when they get the new place up and running then the PO will re locate to the new bldg and then they will tear that (the old PO)down.
SO who knows. If I hear anything I'll pass it on. My buddy, Pat is at Woodward this weekend. We both have Crossfires. I'll be there this Sunday lets try and hook up and say hello. If you are the photog then I know who you are, I'll find you.
Pat
Yep, I'm the sleazy photographer hanging out. I usually have my supercharged Toyota....................Previa mini van. I have a 64 Lincoln convertible but I"m working on the motor.

Stop on by and say hello!

regards

ken

Old 08-22-2008, 04:06 PM
donut this sunday?

Hey Pat,

It was nice getting a chance to meet you last week. Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk much.

It looks like another nice Sunday so I'm sure we'll fill the lot once again.

See ya'll out there!

regards

ken

Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Andrewatlanta is infamous around these parts
Some photos from recent Sundays

I enjoy the Sunday events tremendously, even though I am not a classic car owner. I'm an aspiring photographer and like to take "artsy" shots of the crs, usually tight close-ups and "fractionals" of specific details. I post regularly to such sites as JPG Magazine and Stock Exchange. If anyone is interested in developing a high-quality portfolio of their vehicle, either standard approach or with a unique twist, I'd be happy to work with them. I particularly love cars of the 1950s and '60s and would be interested in doing a shoot with models in period clothes and period settings, if we could find some. You know, doing something like looked like an advertisement from the era . . .

I am attaching some photos from last week, and you can see additional shots here. Scroll through all 12 pages to see both classic cars and other shots:

http://www.jpgmag.com/people/andrewatlanta/photos

Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
nice photos

Originally Posted by Andrewatlanta
I enjoy the Sunday events tremendously, even though I am not a classic car owner. I'm an aspiring photographer and like to take "artsy" shots of the crs, usually tight close-ups and "fractionals" of specific details. I post regularly to such sites as JPG Magazine and Stock Exchange. If anyone is interested in developing a high-quality portfolio of their vehicle, either standard approach or with a unique twist, I'd be happy to work with them. I particularly love cars of the 1950s and '60s and would be interested in doing a shoot with models in period clothes and period settings, if we could find some. You know, doing something like looked like an advertisement from the era . . .
Nice photos.

I too, like tight close ups and such. I also like doing collages and high end artwork of owner's cars.
regards

ken

Last edited by karmakvisser; 08-27-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
How much longer for the current location? Any news?

Ken - you have any updates?

And by the way, I'm going to grab my picture below - I didn't know you took one of the Viper, thanks. I need to connect with you on the Mustang pictures you took and see how that collage came out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Last Gasp for the Church of the Holy Donut in Maryland?