Making home theater in basement...experts, help me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:48 AM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
Call them, get quotes and advice. They might charge you a small fee, but maybe that's refundable if you select them.

I had Myer Emco over one day to run wires behind drywall, they showed me how and didn't even charge.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
so i decided to leave my media room unfinished.
saved about 33 grand lol...

Old 07-30-2008, 05:22 AM
bull30 is just really nicebull30 is just really nicebull30 is just really nicebull30 is just really nicebull30 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Enilder
so i decided to leave my media room unfinished.
saved about 33 grand lol...
If you're looking to do it right and make the Greatful Dead come alive, then you really have to move up to the $100k territory... I shake crap off my neighbors walls... A while back, Gina was talking to a neighbor 5 doors down (all single homes)... The neighbor said "there's not a cloud in the sky but I can hear thunder"... Gina replied, "that's not thunder, Ken's watching a movie".

That's when you know you got it right!!!

Last edited by bull30; 07-30-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bull30
If you're looking to do it right and make the Greatful Dead come alive, then you really have to move up to the $100k territory... I shake crap off my neighbors walls... A while back, Gina was talking to a neighbor 5 doors down (all single homes)... The neighbor said "there's not a cloud in the sky but I can hear thunder"... Gina replied, "that's not thunder, Ken's watching a movie".

That's when you know you got it right!!!
we dont have that much to spare at this point but still have about a year left!
if i considering spending 15k equipment and 15k interior design, will i be able to get decent stuffs?
i was told that that's the "average" spending.

15k equipment includes revel s12 speakers and sony projector (w60) and etc.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM
lax01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Enilder
we dont have that much to spare at this point but still have about a year left!
if i considering spending 15k equipment and 15k interior design, will i be able to get decent stuffs?
i was told that that's the "average" spending.

15k equipment includes revel s12 speakers and sony projector (w60) and etc.
While I agree the treatment of a room is vital in a proper home theater, I think you'd get more bang for your buck if you spent more on equipment. Otherwise, I think dark paint, decent carpet and some nice sound treatment in the rear is all you need for the actual room. Seating and furniture should be the majority of that $15k. There are a few companies in the area that actually help you do everything...I believe there is one down in Bethesda off Old Georgetown Road (can't remember the name, and its not JS Audio, those guys are complete *** holes). There is also Sound Works in Kensington which could help you out.

$15k for equipment, if starting from scratch is probably a good start depending on what you want...but yes, you aren't going to be able to get the high-end stuff on that type of budget. Hell, there are some projectors that run more than $15k.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:53 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
It's not that hard, but it's not like regular contruction. Your walls should use a staggered stud design with insulation between the drywall. Your celiling should have insulation to prevent too much sound from travelling to the room above. You should use a solid core door. You should put 1" rigid insulation on the interior walls up to about the seated listening positions, and on the entire wall behind the screen. You cover the insulation with accoustically transparent fabric. Do that and your room will sound good. Can be done with equipment easily for $30K. I did mine four years ago for about $20k but the only work I contracted out was the drywall.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah I am reading about Green Glue products and many other things off of that site.
Since I have some time before I start the project, I will get estimates around my area and I will post some equipments.

I know that I won't be able to get high-end stuff with 15k and I don't think it makes much difference. (at least to me, it's very minimal)
And I will stay away from those "*** holes"

Thank you.