Making home theater in basement...experts, help me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Making home theater in basement...experts, help me!

Hey all,
I am currently building a house and I am thinking of making a home theater in basement.
I bought a home theater package through my builder, which includes 5 Klipsch (5.1) speakers and 100 inch projector by Optoma (1080p).
Speakers are built-in to walls and 10" subwoofer sits infront.
Control4 dimming system, blu-ray/DVD player, and Integra audio/vidwo receiver are included as well but price...$24,830.

I really want to make a home theater but I don't know what the price would be if I was going to do it through private party.
Based on my description, should I go for it or get someone else to do it after settlement?

Another question though, after the settlement, will I be able to have my speakers built-in to walls at reasonable price? I am guessing that I will have to take down dry walls and have them redo the wiring.

Sorry about double posts!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Hey there,

If you shoot me a PM, I may be able to help.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevinw23
Hey there,

If you shoot me a PM, I may be able to help.

sent.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:44 PM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
Best amps for the money...cult following...speakers aren't bad too.

http://www.emotiva.com/home.html

$25k, are you serious? No way...run the wire yourself before the drywall is down.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:39 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Leave the room completely unfinished by the builder. The won't have the foggiest idea of how to do it right. You have to consider many things including accoustics of the room and seating positions (single most important aspect of success and the part least understood by builders) HVAC, wiring, lighting control, etc.

Then go to the AV Science forum and learn. The are some right ways to build a dedicated HT, and many wrong ways. I built mine myself after spending much time on that site.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Old 07-27-2008, 07:00 AM
well it's actually my parents house and they want everything finished til settlement.
thanks for the posts but i was actually looking for some experts who do it for others and actually give me rough price.

i will ask my parents and finishing that part of basement is about 7000 dollars (drywall and recessed lights).
anyways, my dad wont do it himself so ... yeah...
i will check out the avsforum.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
In that case give give place a look:

http://www.erskine-group.com/

The Principal's name is Dennis Erskine, based out of Atlanta. He can design it for you with detailed drawings for your builder. Of course, this isn't for everyone. If all your dad wants is a decent picture and doesn't care too much about the room itself or the sound and mood of the room he can go ahead with the builders work. But if he goes that route he shouldn't bother spending a bunch of money on higher end audio equuipment. The result won't really be any better than using stuff you get at Best Buy. Good equipment cannot compensate for poor room acoustics.

Last edited by deckman; 07-27-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 AM
TAPOUT is infamous around these parts
Where is the house? I have been in the audio/video field for about 18 years. I may be able to help. PM me some details, I may be able to make a house call.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
From the look of the gear you have listed I would run to the hills and not buy it from your builder.

1) Optoma projectors are garbage
2) Control 4 is the cheapest automation you can buy and garbage as well
3) Klipsch has not made a great speaker in 15 years

You can do alot better for $25k

Christian

Originally Posted by Enilder
Hey all,
I am currently building a house and I am thinking of making a home theater in basement.
I bought a home theater package through my builder, which includes 5 Klipsch (5.1) speakers and 100 inch projector by Optoma (1080p).
Speakers are built-in to walls and 10" subwoofer sits infront.
Control4 dimming system, blu-ray/DVD player, and Integra audio/vidwo receiver are included as well but price...$24,830.

I really want to make a home theater but I don't know what the price would be if I was going to do it through private party.
Based on my description, should I go for it or get someone else to do it after settlement?

Another question though, after the settlement, will I be able to have my speakers built-in to walls at reasonable price? I am guessing that I will have to take down dry walls and have them redo the wiring.

Sorry about double posts!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Christian
From the look of the gear you have listed I would run to the hills and not buy it from your builder.

1) Optoma projectors are garbage
2) Control 4 is the cheapest automation you can buy and garbage as well
3) Klipsch has not made a great speaker in 15 years

You can do alot better for $25k

Christian
I didn't want to put it out there like that, but this info is correct. Garbage is being sold to you for super premium prices.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Tapout, what do you do in the A/V field? Where do you work if you don't mind me asking

Christian

Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 AM
I never even paid attention to the equipment. In my opinion it's the first mistake almost everyone makes when building a HT, they hone right in on the electronics and don't put one bit of thought into room design. The result is lousy sound regardless of the equipment being used, not to mention blasting everyone else in the house who isn't in the theater.

Last edited by deckman; 07-27-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Christian
Tapout, what do you do in the A/V field? Where do you work if you don't mind me asking

Christian
I have been an installer, and then moved on to sales. I actually just stopped working for Guardian Home Technologies two weeks ago, being that I was in the builder division and sales were steadily declining. I have worked for Tweeter, and Myer-Emco through the years, but I tend to try to go where the money is. I actually have been doing custom installs on the side for the last 8 years or so, and I am currently employed by Schrager Sunrooms and Decks, www.schragersunrooms.com, and I am selling for them. We are a general contractor, but focus on the Sunrooms.

Originally Posted by deckman
I never even paid attention to the equipment. In my opinion it's the first mistake almost everyone makes when building a HT, they hone right in on the electronics and don't put one bit of thought into room design. The result is lousy sound regardless of the equipment being used, not to mention blasting everyone else in the house who isn't in the theater.
So true, but most people won't pay to do it right.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks all.
If I go through the builder even with the blueprint, I think it will cost tons.
I honestly have no idea how I should proceed...
Anyways, here's the copy of what I got from the HT guy through builder.

Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Anyone familiar with any of these companies?

VA Chantilly, Cine Designs 14047 Walney Village Ct. 20151 703-378-2623 Raghu Nath Certifications: Area Serviced: Northern Virginia

VA Fairfax, Infinite Sight and Sound 10342 Commonwealth Blvd 22032 703-323-4680 Dan liberman Certifications: ISF, HAA Area Serviced:

MD Bethesda, Casaplex 9228 East Parkhill Drive 20814 240-388-0921 Derek Goldstein Certifications: Area Serviced: MD, DC, VA

MD Gathersburg, MyerEmco, Inc. 209 Edison Park Drive 20878 301-921-0700 Ed Meyer Certifications: CEDIA, Pro, Master Electrician Area Serviced: DC, MD and N VA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Making home theater in basement...experts, help me!