Traffic lawyer needed, Help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:15 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
I wish you luck with this. I got nailed for 110 in a 55. It wasnt pretty and I had everything against me. Young guy, expensive car, middle of the day with people around cop claimed I was weaving in and out (but I wasnt).

I did driving school, sold the car, got 5 ref letters, letter of apology, may have helped ...didnt hurt

We plead it down bc my lawyer (bonita) said if the cop testified I was looking at 20-40 days easy. Judge Davis is a real d!ckhead but our prosecuter was ok. I asked for a larger fine - no dice not letting you buy your way out. Restricted license no dice.

3 days in jail (87 suspended)
6 months no license
1 year probation
4 days community service
500 fine (2k suspended)

All and all I think it is fing ridculous, I was in jail with actual criminals and I was there for speeding. I understand its dangerous and all but christ Jail time?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
fkellyM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cohare
I wish you luck with this. I got nailed for 110 in a 55. It wasnt pretty and I had everything against me. Young guy, expensive car, middle of the day with people around cop claimed I was weaving in and out (but I wasnt).

I did driving school, sold the car, got 5 ref letters, letter of apology, may have helped ...didnt hurt

We plead it down bc my lawyer (bonita) said if the cop testified I was looking at 20-40 days easy. Judge Davis is a real d!ckhead but our prosecuter was ok. I asked for a larger fine - no dice not letting you buy your way out. Restricted license no dice.

3 days in jail (87 suspended)
6 months no license
1 year probation
4 days community service
500 fine (2k suspended)

All and all I think it is fing ridculous, I was in jail with actual criminals and I was there for speeding. I understand its dangerous and all but christ Jail time?

wow....

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
B7S4 is infamous around these parts
Ok, here is the good news: The zone I was speeding in is a 45 mph zone, not 35mph as stated by th cop. So I am 35 mph over speed limit. What grounds do I have now?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:37 AM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Does the ticket say 35? or 45? Either way you are going to be better off than I was. They really crack down above 90 mph. The rule or so they say is every mph over 90 is a day in jail. from 80-90 6 months suspended license.

I think if you go in with a lawyer and a decent driving record already have taken driving school (trafficschoolonline.com - takes 3 hrs and its easy) with a case that you need your car for employment you should get off with fines, restricted maybe. My buddy got a 88 in 55 and got off with fines..

Thats my guess I am no lawyer and it depends on a the judge.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Estoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really nice
Originally Posted by B7S4
Ok, here is the good news: The zone I was speeding in is a 45 mph zone, not 35mph as stated by th cop. So I am 35 mph over speed limit. What grounds do I have now?
I don't know that you have "grounds" for anything per se. Even with a 35 over - you are deep into reckless driving territory. Giev this is VA - I would lawyer-up.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:03 AM
It says 35 on the ticket, but I checked the zone 3 times and the sign says 45.
I am meeting a lawyer next week, hopefully everything will be fine.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 AM
That sounds like grounds for a technicallity fight. I was charged at 45 over - not guilty..bring proof of the speed limit as well.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Carnage is infamous around these parts
I got popped doing 103/55 in Fairfax County. I have a case though...cop lost sight of both bikes, cop said some things to me when he pulled me over which was about the other rider and not me.

I have Julie Hamilton as my lawyer. Another good laywer is Heran or Whitestone.

Anything over 90mph is a day in jail.

I sold my bike did aggressive driving school already, signed up for volunteer work and I will be signing up for for Weekender workforce at the fairfax county jail.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:38 PM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
I've heard the 90mph unwritten rule too, 1 day per MPH. My bet is Arlington might be a little more leniant then Fairfax. Your past record might help, if it's good...

Old 10-12-2008, 05:02 AM
plumcrazy is infamous around these parts
if he cant get the posted speed right, how can he possibly get the speed YOU were going right ?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by JT3
I've heard the 90mph unwritten rule too, 1 day per MPH. My bet is Arlington might be a little more leniant then Fairfax. Your past record might help, if it's good...
Fairfax is more leniant than smaller countys and cities. Fairfax gets a lot of media attention. The smaller courts, towns don't so they usually hit you with bigger fines.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:29 PM
My record is clean, not one speeding ticket. So, hopefully that will help.
Will keep you fellows posted.
Thanks everyone!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You have a bigger "more immediate" issue that will come into play. The current "state of virginia" economic crisis will impact rulings like these. State Troopers are going to be writing more tickets closer to the 10MPH over range than the "wait for the big offendors" stance they've been taking on interstates, and local municipalities will be writing more to bring more revenue into the local government cofers.

Personally I think you're going to have to get a good lawyer, give them the specifics and see if they can work with the commonwealth attorney and see if you can get them to consider arbitration before hand. Pacing you at such a brief stint is going to be a hard call, especially if he wrote the wrong info on the ticket. Just remember, the cop is a "representative of the court" and judges take technicalities very seriously if they can be proven.

Guys wonder why I do so many track days!

Mike

Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Julie is great...she is one of my best friend's sister. You're in good hands.

Originally Posted by Carnage
I got popped doing 103/55 in Fairfax County. I have a case though...cop lost sight of both bikes, cop said some things to me when he pulled me over which was about the other rider and not me.

I have Julie Hamilton as my lawyer. Another good laywer is Heran or Whitestone.

Anything over 90mph is a day in jail.

I sold my bike did aggressive driving school already, signed up for volunteer work and I will be signing up for for Weekender workforce at the fairfax county jail.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by boochook
Julie is great...she is one of my best friend's sister. You're in good hands.

Tell her to take good care of me please lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Traffic lawyer needed, Help please