New Clutch Installed - BEST Indie Shop in Mid-Atlantic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up New Clutch Installed - BEST Indie Shop in Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic Folks,

Just got my new clutch installed by Jonathan Newhall of Foreign Affairs based out of Staunton, VA. First off, Jonathan is highly respected by other members on the forum here like AVUS RS6 (Alex) and GT650-25 (Pejman), and does amazing work. In my last 8 years of owning 2 Porsches (even last 16 years of owning cars in general), Jonathan is the most respectful, knowledgeable, HONEST (not many people like that these days) and experienced tech I've ever had work on my cars. He took me step by step through the process. I'm sure this is not standard procedure, but he also allowed me to watch everything he did under the car when he was dropping the tranny to replace the clutch. It appeared that the clutch had been replaced on my car before and the quality of workmanship of the previous tech was evident when Jonathan did a direct comparo of the new clutch (which I bought from Suncoast - Ryan Butor on this forum - thanks again Ryan) with the clutch that was getting replaced, even the bolts, RMS seal, etc. He took me step by step of why things had to be done a certain way and why he takes the time to do these things. The drive down to Staunton (where Foreign Affairs and Jonathan are located) took just over 2 hours w/ some of the most amazing and beautiful roads Virginia has to offer.....well worth the drive especially in the early morning when the roads were WIDE OPEN.....Well, my clutch was on it's last leg on the way down, but let's just say the ride home w/ the new clutch put the biggest smile on my face . It was like a new car.....the power was back and I was winding through the hills of VA.

The shop was spectacular. I had a chance to meet the owner Michael, and they work on Volvo's (which I'm going to bring the wifey's XC90 and my V50 down for standard service and repair now), BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes, basically you name it. They had a Z8 in the showroom too w/ only 11K miles on it......

I'm in talks w/ Jonathan about a "SPECIAL PROJECT" as well. I know a couple other folks are looking in to getting work done by him, including one of the strategic partners I work w/ who just picked up a brand new 09 Cayman S that he is going to drop a Turbo Kit in.

For those are MAMC members, Jonathan and Foreign Affairs are going to offer MAMC members discounts, so PM me and I can give you their contact info.

Thanks again to Jonathan Newhall (for the great job), Foreign Affairs (for having the latest and greatest diagnostic tools and resources available for Jonathan to complete the job) and for Ryan Butor (Suncoast) for getting me the parts at an amazing price for ALL 6-speed members.

I spoke w/ Jonathan and the owner of Foreign Affairs and they would like for us to come down for a BBQ and Tech Inspection some time this summer. They will provide everything, we just need to show. It would be a great opportunity for us to meet them. The ride is FANTASTIC out there!!!!

Berk

Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Estoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really nice
Good post Berk. Glad to see that it went very smoothly for you.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
^^^Thanks, yes, I was very concerned requiring a new clutch and what I would be quoted. Let's just say their price was WAY WAY WAY less than comparable indie shops in the area, and DEFINITELY half the price of dealerships. Since Jonathan was experienced as a tech for HBL in Tysons and Charlottesville Porsche, I was confident I got a top notch guy.....

Hope all is well Alan....

Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 PM
SEAN 996 is infamous around these partsSEAN 996 is infamous around these parts
Great post Berk! I'm down for a drive/BBQ and I'll keep Johnathan in mind for future work.

Chris

Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Euro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud of
My friend worked with him in C-ville, and said he was a stand up guy. It's refreshing to here that there are a few of us honest techs left. Glad the job went smoothly. Let us know when the BBQ is.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 AM
^^^
Chris - Yeah man, I'm taking all three cars to them from now on. It's worth the honesty....I'll definitely keep you in the loop for the BBQ.

Clarke - Yeah, I'm sure your friend can attest of Jonathan's honesty. Just like how you helped me with my wife's Nissan (which I am really thankful for buddy). I'll definitely keep you and everyone in the loop w/ the BBQ.