Baltimore GP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chipster
I was out there with the Diablo. Wasn't expecting the car corral to be so accessible to the public. Did have one guy just walk up, open the door to my car and put his son inside. Luckily someone was keeping an eye on my car but people were putting their hands all over the cars to pose for pictures.
I can't believe the lack of respect that some people had. Like someone sitting in the GT40 without asking the owner, and then spilling their drink!

Usually the "Do not touch" signs look tacky on cars at a car show but I think for the car corrals they are absolutely necessary.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 PM
bimmer32five is infamous around these parts
why weren't the cars locked?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:23 PM
pseto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tonk
I can't believe the lack of respect that some people had. Like someone sitting in the GT40 without asking the owner, and then spilling their drink!

Usually the "Do not touch" signs look tacky on cars at a car show but I think for the car corrals they are absolutely necessary.
So true, some people don't know how to act. Most car corrals are open to the public, so we all just need to be prepared next year to account for this craziness.

Hopefully next year we'll have more security during the day. Maybe a few signs on the tents and in the lot would prevent some (not all) idiots from acting like an ***.

The security overnight though was incredible!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bimmer32five
why weren't the cars locked?
The GT40 doesn't have door locks. The owners of newer model cars probably just assumed they didn't need to lock their car.

On another note, I'm just starting to look through my pictures now. Here's the white Avendator that was in the VIP Balcony Club.

Last edited by Tonk; 09-05-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tonk
The GT40 doesn't have door locks. The owners of newer model cars probably just assumed they didn't need to lock their car.

On another note, I'm just starting to look through my pictures now. Here's the white Avendator that was in the VIP Balcony Club.
Was this the same one from the Lambo tent? I saw them unload both the white and black one into the tent on Thur and couldn't stop drooling

Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by pseto
Was this the same one from the Lambo tent? I saw them unload both the white and black one into the tent on Thur and couldn't stop drooling
Yup, same one. I wasn't there on Thursday to see them both together in the Lamborghini tent but I know for a fact that there only two Aventadors at the event.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 PM
DavidC81 is infamous around these parts
was only there on friday. next year I will be buying corral passes probably.
it was very very cool to see this going on in Baltimore. hopefully it only gets better!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Started to look through my pics a little bit...Here's a few quick unedited shots...

The view from my grandstand seats:

Riding in Sunir's GT2 for the parade lap:

Snuck up into a private parking garage to get pictures from this view:

Forza 4 girls:

The big pile-up when the C6.R spun out during the Le Mans race:

Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
^^ fantastic shots, thank you for sharing!!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
bimmer32five is infamous around these parts
Oh...didn't know that about the gt40.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Overall a great weekend and big success for the city, Bmore was the rave of Indy car and ALMS...the drivers and teams were astonished by the enthusiasm and the number of fans, vendors, and sponsors that showed up for this inaugural event... I think Tonk captured some of that enthusiasm and "esense" of this event in his colorful pictures at the event.

I think next year I am going to get 2 day passes at VIP or other area inside the main venue if possible, I found that 80%of the accessibility was all around the center of the track areas. The grandstands, access to food and drinks and bathrooms was very well laid out and the racing (albeit late start on fri) was just fantastic, the track will improve in the years to come and they had a nice chance to pick up data points for upcoming improvments while the teams all now have a baseline for the circuit.

As Scott and some others pointed out, the Porsche Platz left a lot to be desired, even though the PorschePlatz was courtesy of Porsche we paid the same or very similar to the BMW corral. There was no food, a few snacks and a single cooler in the back with some canned sodas tha once they ran out that was it, which ussually happened prior to the closing time on the schedule. As Scott mentioned not even a hot cup of coffee to start the morning for platz patrons. The only good thing was that we got out touring lap in early Sat morning, I think they had some presentations but I wasn't around for those so can't really comment on that...they were cool with parking though and let me and Scott park our cars at a diagonal on the side of the tent and I was next to a sweet restored 356 so that was cool . BMW in my estimate had the best corral, with lunch/food, snack, an abundance of drinks and refreshments, etc... Corvette was similar. Nice job Paul!

Can't wait till next year, we all learned a lot and like anything the second time around we'll be more preppared, all of us...from the teams, to the venue, to the fans, the car clubs/corrals, and media/sponsors alike...

Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
I think next year I am going to get 2 day passes at VIP or other area inside the main venue if possible, I found that 80%of the accessibility was all around the center of the track areas. The grandstands, access to food and drinks and bathrooms was very well laid out and the racing (albeit late start on fri) was just fantastic, the track will improve in the years to come and they had a nice chance to pick up data points for upcoming improvments while the teams all now have a baseline for the circuit.
I saw a LOT of people complaining about the VIP area on the BGP facebook page. I obviously can't confirm since I was tied to my tent the whole weekend, but I couldn't imagine that those that paid the most for tickets, weren't treated well. Hopefully will change next year.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
civicexracer has a spectacular aura aboutcivicexracer has a spectacular aura aboutcivicexracer has a spectacular aura about
I had a great time at the event. Yeah there were some issues here and there, mainly on Friday, but overall I thought it was a well ran event. Food prices were no surprise to me. It was a lot cheaper, and better, to eat at one of the restaurants that were open within the track(IE: Jimmy Johns). Definitely a good, fun, family atmosphere. There's really no point in buying grand stand tickets IMO. I had grand stand tickets for Friday and sat in them for about an hour lol. I couldn't help but walk around and check out different parts of the track all day long. My only complaint is that they need more/larger jumbotrons around the track so people who are interested in actually following the race can do so easily.

I took a ton of pictures.. here are a few.

My view from my grandstand. Though I didn't stay there long..

My friend who was racing in the Star Mazda series

Her team owner is on the right in the blue who was real cool.

I jokingly got her autograph which ended up having a bunch of people asking for hers after seeing her sign my fan guide hahaha

Only got a few pics in the car corral.

The 2 best cars in the corral IMO.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by civicexracer
I had a great time at the event. Yeah there were some issues here and there, mainly on Friday, but overall I thought it was a well ran event. Food prices were no surprise to me. It was a lot cheaper, and better, to eat at one of the restaurants that were open within the track(IE: Jimmy Johns). Definitely a good, fun, family atmosphere. There's really no point in buying grand stand tickets IMO. I had grand stand tickets for Friday and sat in them for about an hour lol. I couldn't help but walk around and check out different parts of the track all day long. My only complaint is that they need more/larger jumbotrons around the track so people who are interested in actually following the race can do so easily.
Nice pics!! I'm hoping for more video screens next year so people can watch the race while in the grandstands or walking around. This is very similar to going to a golf tournament. I love walking around and watching from different vantage points, but when you get tired, you need somewhere to hunker down which should be the grandstands.

Just so everyone knows, Friday is probably one of the best days to come out. Security is usually very lax and you can check out different grandstands, talk to people in the paddock, and get a lot closer than on race days. It was treated almost like a dry run day, from an operations perspective.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 AM
DavidC81 is infamous around these parts
Agree with that. Friday was great to walk around and check out everything.

Also more screens definitely are needed. I've been to a couple Formula 1 races and they know how to throw on these types of events.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Baltimore GP?