$2500 repair...to do or not to do...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Angry $2500 repair...to do or not to do...?

Nope, it's not a Porsche.
I have a daily driver (06 Frontier) and my "engine service soon" light came on yesterday on the way back from work. Found out, 2 cats need to be replaced and spark plugs. I was quoted...$2500ish OTD for these 3 things. Considering I've put 100k+ miles over 4 years, I thought it might be better off buying a new car but then, it will cost me more in the long run if I replace with a new car.

I never had high mileage car like this one before so I am just curious what experts think. If it's a Porsche, I'd repair it but then, it would cost me an arm and a leg because it's a Porsche.
To do or not to do...that's the question.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
My two cents, DON'T do it! I just got rid of my 05 Volvo w/ 130K on it, she was starting to fall apart. Picked up a Jetta from Lindsay and got a SICK deal on it. Leasing it w/ 15K a year for 39 months. PM me if you want me to hook you up with our sales guy. He really hooked us up and it was our first time meeting him. I compared it w/ DarCars as well, and I was getting a GREAT deal. DarCars b/c my friend is close with the Dariush family who own them. Just my two cents.

Berk

Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boochook
My two cents, DON'T do it! I just got rid of my 05 Volvo w/ 130K on it, she was starting to fall apart. Picked up a Jetta from Lindsay and got a SICK deal on it. Leasing it w/ 15K a year for 39 months. PM me if you want me to hook you up with our sales guy. He really hooked us up and it was our first time meeting him. I compared it w/ DarCars as well, and I was getting a GREAT deal. DarCars b/c my friend is close with the Dariush family who own them. Just my two cents.

Berk
My only problem is that I need a pick up truck for work. I have a sedan, sports coupe, SUV (Porsche), and I need a pick up truck. They are trying to work out pricing and considering this pickup truck has been paid off since the day one, I am thinking of just repairing it. I got a quote for $2250...just now.

I've NEVER thought those cats are ridiculously expensive to replace. The most expensive repair bill in past 10 years after going through about 8 cars...

Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Rennsport-1
Why dont you have a muffler shop install aftermarket cats. This should keep the cost down considerably. $2500 is very high for plugs and cats.
I didn't see your message when I was typing. I guess I will think of this as a punishment for being a newb.

I was quite desperate this morning/early afternoon when I found about this and I figured that the car forum is the best way to go, specifically 6speed regional forum, since a lot of you mod cars. Thank you for your replies. I hope my Frontier lasts another 4 years!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM
NOVAgearhead is a glorious beacon of lightNOVAgearhead is a glorious beacon of lightNOVAgearhead is a glorious beacon of lightNOVAgearhead is a glorious beacon of lightNOVAgearhead is a glorious beacon of light
Here is what I would do.

1. Find a member on here who has a garage w/ lift and plenty of toys to entertain guests.

2. Purchase necessary parts from OEM supplier along with food/beverages.

3. Invite members from 6 Speed to watch said installation and consume said beverages and food.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM
antinym is infamous around these parts
Yeah, goto an third party shop. After market cats should be around $200-400 for both. Plugs and labor should be another $200 or so. Or do it yourself and save a penny or two.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Euro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud of
I don't work on Nissans for a living, but IIRC the cats are bolted directly to the manifolds on that engine. If it is 4wd, they can be a PITA it do. The other thing to consider is the quality of the cats. Aftermarket cats are not required to meet the same performance of an OE cat. I have had several cars over the last few years where the customer has wanted to use a aftermarket cat, only to have the car still flag a P0420 code. After a bunch of my time on the phone with the mfg. of the cat, it was determined that the car would require a California spec cat(closer to OE). If you are going to keep the truck, or live in an area that requires emissions testing, I would recommend that you get the OE cats.

The other thing that you need to remember is that some cars have plugs that retail for close to $30 a piece.

If your truck is V6, 4wd, auto trans, etc., I think the estimate that you got is just about right.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:36 PM
r0csfinest is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Euro SC
I don't work on Nissans for a living, but IIRC the cats are bolted directly to the manifolds on that engine. If it is 4wd, they can be a PITA it do. The other thing to consider is the quality of the cats. Aftermarket cats are not required to meet the same performance of an OE cat. I have had several cars over the last few years where the customer has wanted to use a aftermarket cat, only to have the car still flag a P0420 code. After a bunch of my time on the phone with the mfg. of the cat, it was determined that the car would require a California spec cat(closer to OE). If you are going to keep the truck, or live in an area that requires emissions testing, I would recommend that you get the OE cats.

The other thing that you need to remember is that some cars have plugs that retail for close to $30 a piece.

If your truck is V6, 4wd, auto trans, etc., I think the estimate that you got is just about right.
+1

We had a customer bring in a Frontier with a bad cat. He brought a aftermarket cat and after we installed it the car still had the P0420 code for a bad cat. Also EuroSC is right the cats on the frontier are not easy to get to at all. $2500 seems a little bit high but oem cats are not cheap either.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Where at in VA are you?

Contact me for cheap cats... looking at (most likely) $100 a piece. I know a very reliable shop that can install both for... around $200 give or take a few bucks. If you schedule with them, it will take approx an hour or so to cut the old ones off and weld the news one in.

Spark plugs... what type engine and size? Pending on where you live, you could swing by my place on a weekend and I'll help you change them for free.... plenty heated garage space. Most likely looking at 15 to 20 minutes to change the plugs.

Cheers,
Allen

Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Euro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud of
Alan, I'm not sure where you friend gets cats for ~$100, but they will not be anywhere close to OE quality. Having been a VA emissions inspector and repair technician since '96, I can tell you that on most newer vehicles, an aftermarket cat will not last, and may not even fix the problem.

The estimate the OP got is right on the money. The info I have at work states that one cat is over $800 and the other ~$600. Add ~ five hours labor (by the book time), then add two hours for the spark plug labor and you are very close to the original estimate.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Alan, I'm not sure where you friend gets cats for ~$100, but they will not be anywhere close to OE quality. Having been a VA emissions inspector and repair technician since '96, I can tell you that on most newer vehicles, an aftermarket cat will not last, and may not even fix the problem.

The estimate the OP got is right on the money. The info I have at work states that one cat is over $800 and the other ~$600. Add ~ five hours labor (by the book time), then add two hours for the spark plug labor and you are very close to the original estimate.

He might as well bend-over too with those prices. The cats in questions are very durable and they have been using them for years and the quality is great and they have lasted a very lengthy amount of time. I don't think I have ever heard one failing or not living up to what I believe is a 5 year warranty on them.

I'll call my buddy and get specifics but I can tell you, I just recently got a quote from him... just a bit over $100 and they are pretty much universal.

Cheers,
Allen

Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
^
There is not a lot of room on the Frontier to do a "universal" cat. I can't imagine a tech going through the amount of work required to do those cats,even if they were O.E. for $200. You friend must have someone working for him that he pays $2/ hour with the promise of getting a green card "one day"

As for the quality of your friends cats, maybe he has found a good source. I am only speaking from my 14 years experience of diagnosing and repairing emissions failures in Virginia.

The spark plugs should be a straight forward DIY with basic tools.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Clarke,

The cats are great quality cats that last. As far as getting to them, might be a little more work. Knowing the owner, installer and great fabricator... he would drop the exhaust cut and weld and reinstall.

I wouldn't think the work would add up more than $500 to weld in the cats.

Cheers,
Allen

Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Ken Lally is infamous around these parts
I think cats have platinum in them which is why they are so pricey. I may be wrong.

My SUV also needs cats but I have a shop that does some kind of flush on them to get them through emmissions. It's worked 2x now.

The engine light comes back on of course but I opened the dash and put a black cap over the sodered bulb so you cannot see the light now.

IM me if you want the shop name....Sterling VA.

I am not ready to part with my truck it still looks new, but I certainly dont want to pay the $2500 either for a car with 130k mls.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ken Lally
I think cats have platinum in them which is why they are so pricey. I may be wrong.

My SUV also needs cats but I have a shop that does some kind of flush on them to get them through emmissions. It's worked 2x now.

The engine light comes back on of course but I opened the dash and put a black cap over the sodered bulb so you cannot see the light now.

IM me if you want the shop name....Sterling VA.

I am not ready to part with my truck it still looks new, but I certainly dont want to pay the $2500 either for a car with 130k mls.
Your are correct about the content of the cats. They have platinum, palladium, and rhodium in them.

If the inspector is doing his job, he has to verify that the MIL illuminates when the key is turned on.

I have had some cases where doing an induction service on a car will clean up the cat enough to get it to slide through the monitors. The general public has NO IDEA how bad ethanol is for a car. We currently have E10 in our gasoline. They are getting ready to go to E15. It should be good for business, but not the consumer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $2500 repair...to do or not to do...?