Help with a bent wheel issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
TMAC is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Help with a bent wheel issue

Hey guys, as most of you know we are new to this area. Today my wife was driving my Audi S4 and some how hit a huge pot hole in the road. She is an excellent driver but has been ill since Sunday so her reaction time only allowed her to swerve enough to miss the back 19" wheel but not the front.
When I got home from work she told me and feels terrible about it.

That all being said, in FL if you find an issue with the road like this you can present it to the city or county and hold them accountable for the cost of the repair or replacement. Has anyone done this here? I thought I would try first before looking for a repair shop and paying out of my own pocket.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Same thing just happened to my Mother's MB. BOTH front and rear tires blown and wheels bent. Frankly, I think VA should be on the hook for them. I know other states have to pay for damaged wheels due to potholes. I imagine there are conditions that must be met, and there's always the "last chance avoider" legal argument in their favor. But, it's worth a try. Call VDOT. Tell them you need to file a claim. Or, go to their website and inquire there.

CW

Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by CornersWell
Same thing just happened to my Mother's MB. BOTH front and rear tires blown and wheels bent. Frankly, I think VA should be on the hook for them. I know other states have to pay for damaged wheels due to potholes. I imagine there are conditions that must be met, and there's always the "last chance avoider" legal argument in their favor. But, it's worth a try. Call VDOT. Tell them you need to file a claim. Or, go to their website and inquire there.

CW
Thanks for the advice, I will give that a shot.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:51 PM
So who does fix wheels around here?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Depends on the damage. If possible, there are a few shops (Ye Ole Wheel Shop in Elkridge has a good reputation). Not exactly near DC, though.

There's a mobile wheel expert that does minor refinishing on-site. If the damage is more substantial, he'll ship the wheel to their refinishing shop. You could call Ferrari of Washington for the referral. However, I wasn't totally happy with them. They screwed up and took the wrong set of wheels and took FOREVER to get them done. If you need it ASAP, I might look elsewhere. The quality of the work was pretty good, though. However, mine were straight refinishes. No damage to the wheel itself.

I've heard good things about Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. Check wheelcollision.com. They may already stock the wheel, and you just ship them yours in exchange (plus $, of course).

CW

Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Depends on the damage. If possible, there are a few shops (Ye Ole Wheel Shop in Elkridge has a good reputation). Not exactly near DC, though.

There's a mobile wheel expert that does minor refinishing on-site. If the damage is more substantial, he'll ship the wheel to their refinishing shop. You could call Ferrari of Washington for the referral. However, I wasn't totally happy with them. They screwed up and took the wrong set of wheels and took FOREVER to get them done. If you need it ASAP, I might look elsewhere. The quality of the work was pretty good, though. However, mine were straight refinishes. No damage to the wheel itself.

I've heard good things about Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. Check wheelcollision.com. They may already stock the wheel, and you just ship them yours in exchange (plus $, of course).

CW
Thanks, I will look into those options. The damage isn't all that bad so maybe the mobile guy would work.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I may start looking for a new set of wheels because I noticed the the rear wheel took the hit too...............

Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by TMAC
I may start looking for a new set of wheels because I noticed the the rear wheel took the hit too...............
Like I said, you might really look at Wheel Collision Center, then. They have repaired wheels in-stock. Now, that may not give you enough confidence (I, for one, wouldn't want to be moving fast and have a repaired wheel come apart on me), but it's certainly something to price-out and compare.

CW

Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Like I said, you might really look at Wheel Collision Center, then. They have repaired wheels in-stock. Now, that may not give you enough confidence (I, for one, wouldn't want to be moving fast and have a repaired wheel come apart on me), but it's certainly something to price-out and compare.

CW
Thanks, I have considered using a 997 Carrera S wheel on my S4 for a while now.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear but the DC area is notorious for bad roads. I am switching from 19s back to 18s at the next tire change.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:35 PM
The RS6 on 20's is a stiff ride...

CW

Old 03-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Here is what I am thinking of. I will have a silver strip though. I already own the staggered version of these in a 19x8.5 and 19x11 so I would just have them refinished and pick up another (2) 19x8.5s.
(Disclaimer - these are not my shots, I picked them up off the web)

Old 03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Looks very nice, but it won't be 6 months before you're at your dentist having your fillings that fell out replaced!

CW

Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Looks very nice, but it won't be 6 months before you're at your dentist having your fillings that fell out replaced!

CW
I know........... I don't use the S4 or my Carrera as daily drivers so it won't be all that bad.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 PM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TMAC
Thanks, I have considered using a 997 Carrera S wheel on my S4 for a while now.
Make sure you don't run staggered wheels on your quattro car, or at least run the same size tires. It will cause damage to the trans

Edit: never mind, just read your other post more carefully, picking up another 2 wheels. What do you have done to your S4? Did you see my buddies silver B5 S4 at the meet? Built motor with GT2871's!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with a bent wheel issue