Move over law......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Harvey in MD is infamous around these parts
Move over law......

This was sent to me by my friend who is a police officer....might as well be safe -

Yes, this is true…in Virginia, this laws carries a fine up to $2500, a court date, and points off your license. Other states are following this law as well. This was sent to me so I thought I'd pass it on.

A GOOD THING TO KNOW:

New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you must change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and D.C. has adopted this law now.

In New Jersey , the "Move-over" law became operative in 2009, fine up to $500. http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

http://www.njlawman.com/the-column/move-over-law.htm

A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He had never heard of the law.

It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane. The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance.

Please tell everyone you know about this new law.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Cool, let's randomly make up new laws with insanely high fees and not tell anyone about it! That way we can catch people who don't know and make tons of money!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
TMAC is infamous around these parts
This has been a law in FL for years now. I really thought it was enforced around the country aswell.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Have always done this as a courtesy...

I admit to not knowing it was the law, but I've always done it as a courtesy and to be a lane away from any sudden rukus between the offending driver and officer/trooper. Having said that, I don't disagree that such things should be well publicized, and yes, the fine does seem unreasonable.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:39 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Certainly don't mind the law, in principal, but the DMVs NEED to publicize it. For drivers like myself who last studied a manual over 20 years ago, we aren't being "kept in the loop". I know that ignorance is no excuse (typical judge attitude), but this is a typical revenue generation tactic that puts the onus on you. You're guilty. You weren't informed of the change. Tough. What BS!

CW

Old 04-09-2010, 05:16 PM
TMAC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tssci
I admit to not knowing it was the law, but I've always done it as a courtesy and to be a lane away from any sudden rukus between the offending driver and officer/trooper. Having said that, I don't disagree that such things should be well publicized, and yes, the fine does seem unreasonable.
I agree Steve, it needs to be made known to the public if they wish to enforce it.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Courtesy - definitely and understood. These officers put their lives on the line every day.

Here's the B.S. - if the "state" and respective DMV codes add "new violations" to avoid then those assclowns can mail us letters updating us on DMV law changes and updates. Hell, they seem to have no problem in VA from a county perspective sending me my car tax bill EVERY year w/ an exorbitant "assessed value" of my car where they calculate my tax bill. I mean crap, if the car was worth that on the market I would have sold it by now. Back to the point, communication is key and this is a shady revenue tactic if not properly shared with the citizens.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Paul_DC is infamous around these parts
FYI, loudon county released this today on the above topic...

Loudoun County, VA: A Sheriff’s Office cruiser was struck by a passing motorist Tuesday night while a deputy was conducting a traffic stop on Route 28. Fortunately no one was injured in the crash. As a result of the incident the driver of the vehicle that cause the crash, a 16-year-old female from Springfield, VA, was charged with failing to yield to an emergency vehicle.

The incident has prompted the Loudoun Sheriff’s Office to take the time to remind motorists of the Move-Over/Slow Down Law. Section § 46.2-921.1 of the Code of Virginia requires drivers to move-over one lane, if possible, whenever an emergency vehicle on the side of the road displays emergency lights. And, if traffic is too congested to move-over safely, the law requires drivers to simply slow down, below the posted speed limit and be prepared to stop.

Virginia implemented the Move Over/Slow Down law in 2002 (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+46.2-921.1). In Virginia, the law is a Class 1 misdemeanor. By not following the law, you face possible jail time, and a $2500 fine.

Unfortunately, many motorists are unfamiliar with the law and are unaware that each time an officer makes a traffic stop, it’s one of the gravest dangers law enforcement can face on the road today. More than 150 U.S. law enforcement officers have been killed since 1999 after being struck by vehicles along America's highways.

When you see an emergency vehicle on the side of the road with its emergency lights on, slow down, change lanes and save lives.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 AM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
How can they prove you didn't slow down? If they are busy writing up a ticket, how do they know how fast the cars are passing by?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
JVproM6 has a spectacular aura aboutJVproM6 has a spectacular aura aboutJVproM6 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the heads up!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Here in CO, there have been a number of LEO strikes. Most recently, a deputy had stopped to help someone who spun out on a bridge during a snow storm and went off the road. A subsequent motorist also spun out on the same bridge, hitting the officer (not his vehicle). This motorist (cited for DUI and unsafe operation, IIRC) pulled over after the strike. THEN, a third motorist (illegal and cited for DUI) spun out hitting the LEO while he was on the ground. This motorist left the scene and was stopped several miles down the road. His passenger was found to have illegal substances on him. The driver was also cited for unsafe operation, leaving the scene and fleeing law enforcement, I think. LEO survived, btw.

CW

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 AM
sunburned is infamous around these parts
Had no idea about this law until a friend got pulled over for it recently. I just moved to VA from MD (which I guess doesn't have the law) and was never informed until I saw it somewhere on a forum. Yes, it is a great law and should be done anyway to keep officers safe, but to carry such a huge fine is absolutely insane. People already cause enough traffic as it is by slowing down so much just by seeing police lights. Now its mandatory to slow down 20mph or move over? Kinda nuts, especially if you are on the beltway in heavy traffic.

I once sat in traffic on the way to work for at least 30 minutes on the beltway, only to find out that there had been an accident earlier that was completely cleared off the road. There were 5 VA state troopers sitting in the center median of the beltway with their lights on, all just standing around talking to each other. Like they couldn't have moved on and found somewhere else to chat.