Alright, help me out here.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Question Alright, help me out here.....

............to start, I'm NOT looking for the the next Harmon Kardon System or McIntosh.....

Here's the deal, our family room is already pre-wired for a 5.1 system in the walls when it was built 6 months ago. I've got a standard Samsung 5.1 DVD Home Entertainment System that I bought from Radio Shack (I spend top dollar on my electronics as you can see.....), and to be honest with you, the surround sound system is just fine for my taste so I'm not a "SOUND SNOB". What I'd like to do is the following, the speakers I would like to be small, not TOO small, but you know what I mean. Right now the speakers I have (the Samsung unit) are a little bulkier and the fronts are on STANDS (they're fine IMO, but I think we'd like to go a direction of literally having the speakers mounted where they need to be). The 50" Plasma is mounted to the wall, and there is a wall mounted shelving unit (two shelves) that hold the High Def FIOS box as well as the current DVD player. Now, here's what I'm looking to do and not do:

1.) I like the Bose T20 SET UP, but seriously, I have no need for that and don't really care to pay $2K+ since I'm coming off a $250 Samsung 5.1 System that delivers more than enough power for me, however, they did have a speaker system, but I'd have to get a receiver (Already have a DVD player) that was like $899 or something if I remember.
2.) Not only do I want stereo surround when I'm watching DVD's and listening to music on my IPOD or CD, but I'd also like to have the whole stereo surround experience of a FOOTBALL game or use the 5.1 system to play music from the FIOS digital channels
3.) While not necessary, but was a nice feature of some of the Bose Systems, I may want a "system" that could be adapted to offer me wireless speakers for when we are out on the deck during the spring/summer/fall time period.
4.) Granted my TV is HD, but I don't need BLUE RAY DVD Players as an option. It's not necessary.
5.) Whatever MAIN receiver I get, I'd also like to set up a security system DVR and tie camera's to it, functionally when the doorbell rings, I can go to VIDEO 2 or something and see who's at the front door as opposed to getting up every time (yes, I'm lazy!...), not to mention, if they're not welcomed, I know what side to ambush them from....). Plan is to have cameras mounted around the perimeter of the house anyway. I MAY NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS ON SECURITY COMPANIES THAT CAN BUILD OUT A SYSTEM REGARLDESS, SO LET'S NOT FOCUS TOO MUCH ON #5 FOR THE MOMENT.
6.) Budget, I'd like to stay in the $400-500 range max for speakers and receiver (which I'm guessing I need in order to do stereo surround with just the TV).
7.) I'd like to get this done in the next couple weeks since my contractor is coming in to hide all the wires behind the walls as well for the two mounted flat screens.

Thanks everyone!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
uhhhh, Berk...your budget is not going to work!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BMWDEMON
uhhhh, Berk...your budget is not going to work!
+1 Ese. Unless you want to swing by my place to hear my Lifestyles system and match Bose trade in offer, you will have a $2,500 system for $850 if your interested.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
I would get rid of that archaic plasma and get a 55" LED LCD. They are very well priced nowadays. 1080p 120/240hz FTW.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
HAHA!!!! C'mon......smaller speakers guys, that's all I really need.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
And stay far away....nay, RUN away from BLOSE. Overpriced, gimmicky, lifeless audio.

There's the saying: "No highs, no lows...must be Bose!"

At $400 budget, you're looking at theaters in a box as your only option. Unless you scour craigslist or ebay for used 5.1 systems. Just make sure the receiver isn't too old, that is the brains of your setup - make sure it is decent. I think I paid ~$1200 for my 5.1 system (onkyo receiver, thx speakers), which I consider entry level. Then again, Bbuy had a deal going at the time where if you bought the floor speakers you received a center for free ($250).

Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Berk, how many speakers are you looking for? You have two fronts, two rears and a center. Replacing all of them or just some?

You should get a used 5.1 receiver as someone said. You should be able to find a decent one that's 3-4 years old for between $100-200. Just be aware that any HTIB for $500 will not be good and probably won't last.

With your bigger plasma which is better than LCD in all aspects you should definately get a blueray. SD on an HD set is unwatchable. They can be had inexpensively now.

Last edited by deckman; 01-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Hey John - I'm willing to replace the entire system I guess, but the wifey wants something clean like the BOSE, but I'm not sold on the price.
I love the Plasma, it does the job and it's good enough for me to be honest. Any ideas on a good receiver? Onkyo??? I'll buy brand new, that's not a problem. Maybe all I need to do is just get a receiver and just live with the current 5.1 surround system w/ DVD.

Originally Posted by deckman
Berk, how many speakers are you looking for? You have two fronts, two rears and a center. Replacing all of them or just some?

You should get a used 5.1 receiver as someone said. You should be able to find a decent one that's 3-4 years old for between $100-200. Just be aware that any HTIB for $500 will not be good and probably won't last.

With your bigger plasma which is better than LCD in all aspects you should definately get a blueray. SD on an HD set is unwatchable. They can be had inexpensively now.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I THINK I FOUND IT....ONKYO.....

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3300.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Bottom line, can I watch TV in surround when available and all I would need to do is plug in another DVD player?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Berk, I'll find you an inexpensive HTIB that is pretty good. I was a hobbyist up until a few years ago. Give me a day before you pull the trigger on the Onkyo, which might end up being just fine for you anyway. What brand is your plasma?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Euro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud of
I have had several Onkyo receivers and have been happy with them all. I live in a town house, so lots of power is not a must for me. It looks like the receiver in that HTIB you linked will work for your needs. HDMI inputs for FIOS and DVD player, with one left over for something else.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks John!

It's a Samsung PN50C450 50-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV. Thanks buddy!

Originally Posted by deckman
Berk, I'll find you an inexpensive HTIB that is pretty good. I was a hobbyist up until a few years ago. Give me a day before you pull the trigger on the Onkyo, which might end up being just fine for you anyway. What brand is your plasma?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Cool - thanks for hte confirm Clarke!!

How are you buddy? Enjoying the 24hrs like I am.

Originally Posted by Euro SC
I have had several Onkyo receivers and have been happy with them all. I live in a town house, so lots of power is not a must for me. It looks like the receiver in that HTIB you linked will work for your needs. HDMI inputs for FIOS and DVD player, with one left over for something else.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:01 PM
You could look at this inexpensive one from Sony, or the Onkyo. At this price point don't pay too much attention to the brand name, you will only get so much quality no matter who it's from. For the money, these are probably your best bets.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Fraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really nice
I love my onkyo, it even runs pandora on the NR-TX708 - network ready! But it was like $400 without speakers... it replaced a $2500 pioneer elite from 1999. technology moved on. and I got deaf, so I probably can't tell the difference anymore anyway. I've also got a PS3 so it does all the bluerayz and DVD's and such. I did need more HDMI inputs than you've got there. Remember, eventually your kiddo will want to play some gamez. I love playing all the lego titles with my 6 year old, and she loves little big planet, too... Mighgt as well plan ahead.

but I'll bet even my deaf *** ears can tell the difference from theater in a box vs a decent component set. Come on dude!!