MD/DC/VA | 2011 GTG Season Thread |

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
haha if we could do this around lunch time @ Rockville, MD, I will be with 100% attendance level/...haha

Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
That's the only reason I haven't been to a Katies meet, far to early besides at that time I'm out for a run etc.

Rennlist meets used to be great - civil no clowns, ah the good ol' days not to say that we have a bad group over here on 6speed but there a few rotten eggs around...

OK I'm swaying o/t

BTW Sunir are you the same chap from dtmpower.net and bimmerforums?

Last edited by Exlondoner; 03-23-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Exlondoner
That's the only reason I haven't been to a Katies meet, far to early besides at that time I'm out for a run etc.

Rennlist meets used to be great - civil no clowns, ah the good ol' days not to say that we have a bad group over here on 6speed but there a few rotten eggs around...

OK I'm swaying o/t

BTW Sunir are you the same chap from dtmpower.net and bimmerforums?
yep that's me...still have my race car in fact just had her out at VIR this past weekend instructing for Zone 2 Porsche club out there, I had a student with a 911 Turbo and another with a Carrera 2S.

As for cars and meets...I am much more available for Cars & Lunch instead of Cars & Coffee...and the closer to Bmore the better ... but Rockville, Tysons Corner etc...those places aren't bad either the drive can be nice so long as traffic doesn't suck

Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Fraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really nice
Well I'll be stayin in this weekend. Weather is supposed to suck so I'll be wrenching on the 928 instead. Motor mounts here I come!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 AM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sunir
yep that's me...still have my race car in fact just had her out at VIR this past weekend instructing for Zone 2 Porsche club out there, I had a student with a 911 Turbo and another with a Carrera 2S.

As for cars and meets...I am much more available for Cars & Lunch instead of Cars & Coffee...and the closer to Bmore the better ... but Rockville, Tysons Corner etc...those places aren't bad either the drive can be nice so long as traffic doesn't suck
what's up Sunir, remember me from BMW meets and that night out in DC in my M3 when I clip the curb..lol you still have your LTW m3? wow

Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Katies - time for another venue??

I'll start this discussion as several of us at the Sunday Starbucks gathering mentioned that the already congested parking lot at Katies...with the season really having yet begun...may be a call for another venue. Last Saturday the entire front parking lot was full; one needs to be careful of the several food delivery trucks that are making deliveries between 0700 - 0900; locals who are competing (and carelessly parking their SUVs) for space to run in for coffee; and the close 'door to door' parking for our special cars. The Sunday/Starbucks gathering - while not as popular yet - is FAR more stress free; allows for a more reasonable starting time; and there is no urgency to abandon the lot by 0900. It is easier to view the cars and there is room to allow a space and half for each car. For those who need their 'starting fluid' in the morning, Starbucks has that. So....is there not a better location for the Saturday morning gathering in Tysons, Sterling, Ashburn or Leesburg for starters?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
RSR Guy has a spectacular aura aboutRSR Guy has a spectacular aura about
All valid and very good points about Katies. While amazing rides show up there on a regular basis I no longer attend. Last year I drove my RSR to the event at 0-dark-thirty and managed to snag the end spot at the top of the lot. i went to check out the cars and when i came back, there was a big black mark starting at the leading edge of the rear flare extending all the way to the back bumper. I was only able to remove about 90% of the damage as it did break the surface of the paint. fortunately, no sheet metal damage and, after an hour with a buffer, it is hardly noticeable.

So, if you do bring your ride to that event, i would recommend keeping a very close eye on it the entire time...just a thought.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Hey Almo, it was nice to actually meet you in person after drooling over your car at all these meets haha. It was Alan, right?

I put my pictures from 3/19 in the Cars & Coffee Great Falls thread.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM
rcollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nice
Originally Posted by RSR Guy
All valid and very good points about Katies. While amazing rides show up there on a regular basis I no longer attend. Last year I drove my RSR to the event at 0-dark-thirty and managed to snag the end spot at the top of the lot. i went to check out the cars and when i came back, there was a big black mark starting at the leading edge of the rear flare extending all the way to the back bumper. I was only able to remove about 90% of the damage as it did break the surface of the paint. fortunately, no sheet metal damage and, after an hour with a buffer, it is hardly noticeable.

So, if you do bring your ride to that event, i would recommend keeping a very close eye on it the entire time...just a thought.

Bob:

I hadn't heard about that... Wow, that sucks. I've seen a couple of careless parkers at Katie's, but they have seemed to me to be an exception. I guess you have to keep an eye out at any public venue.

I enjoy both Katie's and Fair Lakes, for slighly different reasons. Fair Lakes seems a little more of an informal group. I'll continue to attend both whenever I can - Fair Lakes is quite local for me, and I look forward to seeing friends at both.

--Bob Collum

Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
agreed Katies is a liability and risky...lot cannot hold special cars and lots of soccer moms carelessly weilding their bulky SUVs with no regard for the machinery around just fiending foir the morning cup 'o joe.

I recommend a "cars and lunch" in an area with a HUGE lot and tons of space, like the upper deck at Galleria in Tysons in the corner there by Macy's ...that's an old time spot we used to have...lunch is nice because it's not so early and a secluded large lot is best, plus having a mall is good for food choices.

I also think some Maryland meeting areas are good as well...Columbia has some nice spots as does the Baltimore area, up on I95...tons of choices from College Park and north bound...

Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by simtiaz
what's up Sunir, remember me from BMW meets and that night out in DC in my M3 when I clip the curb..lol you still have your LTW m3? wow
yup still have the LTW...it's been off the road since 03 though...I campagned it in '04 - '07 in races for BMW and GTS3 and now I instruct for BMW CCA, PCA, MBCA and some other orgs with it...I just had it down at VIR this past weekend instructing at the Zone 2 PCA event.

Yeah man been a long while since the M3 days in DC...what curb did you clip and where were we heading (or heading back from lol)!! man seems like forever ago right!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:32 PM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
I vote for Tysons 2 galleria top parking deck in the corner..
I still have pics from back in days bmw meets that we organized..
good call Sunir

Old 03-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Wow those were some good times, miss the old E36 sometimes, man that seems like ages ago.

Originally Posted by simtiaz
I vote for Tysons 2 galleria top parking deck in the corner..
I still have pics from back in days bmw meets that we organized..
good call Sunir

Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I will always have a special place in my heart for the E36 M3...what a fabulous all time great car...I've been fortunate enough to own one of 120 LTW M3s produced and still have it and drive it, and to have raced it and been through so much in that car, from learning how to drive it on track to competing with it...and now still using it when I instruct for different clubs in as recent as just this past week. Everytime I am on track with that car it reminds me of why I bought it and what I love about it, even going on to it's 16th year...it's a teenager now that can legally drive on it's own haha lol! It's such a well balanced chassis and so much fun to drive...still one of my all time favorites!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Chipster is infamous around these parts
So is the Katie's thing going on tomorrow morning or what? Was planning on heading to it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MD/DC/VA | 2011 GTG Season Thread |