Ferrari Club of America Spring Thaw - April 16 - Reston, VA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GTLaser
What other show is there?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:42 AM
TurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud of
I was planning on going to the Ferrari show yesterday and adventure world Sunday but the weather changed my plans Some of my friends are showing their cars at adventure world so I'll be at that one today.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
Looks like I'm heading out since softball just cancelled.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM
dissention is infamous around these parts
Nice selection of cars there. I finally got to see the F40 in person but was secretly hoping to also see an F50 & Enzo.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 PM
DavidC81 is infamous around these parts
got caught up playing hockey...looks like a great time!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 AM
rcollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nice
A Few More From The Reston Show Sunday, 04/17/11

Nice display. Met and talked to several people I know from both Katie's and Fair Lakes events. Met a few new people.

I don't think I will likely ever see two F40's parked next to each other again, and the light-blue 500 Mondial was amazing. Bob S. drove his Z06 to Fair Lakes Sunday morning, ran home and picked up his wife and brought the F550 to Reston - a full day.

--Bob Collum

Attached Images      
Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 AM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
Yes - that blue '55 Mondial was something else. I forget the whole name of the car. I had never seen that car before and spoke to owner for a while. It is a factory built race car one of 8 made, only 7 of 8's whereabouts are known now.

What I got from conversation with owner = his father used to race MGAs in mid-late 50's and in '60 on a tip from friend heard of some kind of "race car" that was in a service garage in Richmond, CA (above Oakland) and garage didn't know what it was or what to really do with it and owner who took it there had failed to return to claim it and garage was trying to get rid of / sell car. He went to see car and it was in very rough condition as far as cleanliness and had apparently been transported across country with hood off and engine was caked with mud etc. and said engine was barely visible at all and he took a wet rag and wiped valve cover and saw 'Ferrari" and bought it right there and then on the spot for $4k - not knowing the exact model or history of the car at all. He then raced the car all around US in various classes for twenty-something years and then garaged it for 10 or so years, all the while still not knowing car history, and then sometime 15 years ago or so they decided to restore it and did extensive research on it and found that it was the chassis in eight that won its class at Sebring (can't remember year...55-56?), won some Grand Prix of Argentina same general timeframe and placings in other big races worldwide, driven by many supposedly famous drivers of the period, none of which I had heard of but that isnt saying anything.

It is a 2 liter 4 cyclinder and makes now and made new abt. 200hp which I think is pretty remarkable 100hp per liter on normally aspirated car almost 60 years old.... but maybe considering it is a factory built Ferrari race car not so surprising. Owner also said that back then - very unlike now - Ferrari actually built most of the car / component groups, i.e. made the pistons and con. rods and gearbox housing altough not gears themselves. Actually I think he said coach was built by a coach-builder used by Ferrari some in that period, I forget name, had a badge on lower fender, wasn't Pinanferina. Body is all aluminum which must have been pretty high tech back then. He said he basically has zero spare parts of any kind (except for set of rods he had made by Carillo off of one of the originals when they had the engone apart one time) and what is on it is all original.... down to the valve springs!!

Since being restored it won its class at Pebble Beach I think he said in 2008, won multiple Cavalino awards I think incl. some best in shows. Owner said he has had multiple offers for car ranging between 3-4 million and car is insured commensurately. Apparently it is one famous car and the owner was very nice guy and really did know all about it and other Ferraris of that era. That alone made it worth the trip and wading through the endless rows of 360s and 430s.... yawn.... not really - I'd proudly own any one of them.

Re two F40s side by side.... I've seen that before several times and if you go to Ferrari meets esp. bigger ones I think it is fairly common to have two in one place...BUT one time I saw an F40 a F50 and an Enzo all side by side and I had never seen that before.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
rcollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nicercollum is just really nice
Willi:

I looked it up over on one of the F-car websites. The owner says it is a:

Ferrari 500 Mondial, Series II

He has owned it since 1960. I believe the "S" logo on the side indicates it is a body by Scaglietti.

--Bob Collum

Attached Images  

Last edited by rcollum; 04-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
Originally Posted by rcollum
Willi:

I looked it up over on one of the F-car websites. The owner says it is a:

Ferrari 500 Mondial, Series II

He has owned it since 1960. I believe the "S" logo on the side indicates it is a body by Scaglietti.

--Bob Collum
Yes - Scaglietti, that is what he said.

He said that is orig. color, forget name. He said it had been multiple colors over its life but they found a perfect match for original color when they removed guages / bezles.

That thing really was cool. Cars just aren't the same anymore..... even competition cars built by exclusive co.s like Ferrari. I worked on the Momo 333SP team in late 90's and even though that is a very storied car in Ferrari racing history, winning 36 hours of FL = Daytona and Sebring, barely anything other than engine was made by Ferrari, chassis = Dallara and component groups all made by usual suspects. Looking at that '55 deal yesterday and just imagining a group of guys making the whole thing is just a really cool concept, that they had such a depth of knowledge in so many different areas. The valve springs are these little leaf type of deals - not coils - and can tell hand made or close to it.

I said how owner said has zero spare parts..... he has ONE set of brake pads, the backings just get refaced with friction material at some specialty place... there are no complete replacement pads made. The owner does all the maintenance on the car. He was keeping a pretty close eye on people / kids getting near it.... $3-4 million I'd have it roped off with taser-toting bodyguard. LOL

Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
^^^All very cool information. The only supercar I have yet to see is an F50. Saw an Enzo at a Ferrari Challenge event in NJ in 2009.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:42 PM
chrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura about
If you want to see an F50 just come over and look in my garage. I have a poster.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Cliff that Scaglietti bodied vintage car is quite nice for sure, still having said that I think my favorites are the 375MM (priceless), the 288 GTO or prefferably it's predeccesor the venerable 250 GTO (again just amazing), 250 SWB or GTC 4 cam LWB or SWB (one of the best vintage cars of the 50's and grouped with the Lusso bodied F cars) or the lovely and 1/37 made said to be the best grand touring cars ever made the '65 500 SuperFast which made 400 hp back then!!!

Looks like a great turnout yesterday, wish I could have made it...I really like vintage cars, and Ferrari made some of the best.

I hope the guy with the 500 Mondial drove the car there and enjoys the car, sounds like he does...that's fantastic...it's great to see a car like that still enjoyed and driven, and even vintage raced....Mr. Enzo would be proud of that with it's history, imperfections, and battle scars more so than seeing it with a lofty price tag restored perfectly sitting in a museum display.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
[quote=sunir;3181566]Cliff that Scaglietti bodied vintage car is quite nice for sure, still having said that I think my favorites are the 375MM (priceless), the 288 GTO or prefferably it's predeccesor the venerable 250 GTO (again just amazing), 250 SWB or GTC 4 cam LWB or SWB (one of the best vintage cars of the 50's and grouped with the Lusso bodied F cars) or the lovely and 1/37 made said to be the best grand touring cars ever made the '65 500 SuperFast which made 400 hp back then!!! quote]

Well.... they didn't have any of those there so I was fixated on this one.

And no.... he doesn't drive it.... or drive it much anyway. It is worth 3-4 million dollars. Maybe Bill Gates or Jay Leno would drive it but this guy doesn't.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
I'd say by the looks of this picture, the only driving this car sees is on and off the trailer:

Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 AM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ferrari Club of America Spring Thaw - April 16 - Reston, VA